User Tag List

First 678

Results 71 to 78 of 78

  1. #71
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    I agree with this too. Some traditions have utility where the individual's needs will define utility or not.

    This is my issue with ideologues and ideologies. No legs.
    So what I am getting at. Is it doesn't matter if you are or aren't traditional but as long as you have reflected on your choice and that it works for you.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  2. #72
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    Here's a short quote on the subject...from 1905.

    Suppose that a great commotion arises in the street about something, let us say a lamp-post, which many influential persons desire to pull down. A grey-clad monk, who is the spirit of the Middle Ages, is approached upon the matter, and begins to say, in the arid manner of the Schoolmen, “Let us first of all consider, my brethren, the value of Light. If Light be in itself good–” At this point he is somewhat excusably knocked down. All the people make a rush for the lamp-post, the lamp-post is down in ten minutes, and they go about congratulating each other on their unmediaeval practicality. But as things go on they do not work out so easily. Some people have pulled the lamp-post down because they wanted the electric light; some because they wanted old iron; some because they wanted darkness, because their deeds were evil. Some thought it not enough of a lamp-post, some too much; some acted because they wanted to smash municipal machinery; some because they wanted to smash something. And there is war in the night, no man knowing whom he strikes. So, gradually and inevitably, to-day, to-morrow, or the next day, there comes back the conviction that the monk was right after all, and that all depends on what is the philosophy of Light. Only what we might have discussed under the gas-lamp, we now must discuss in the dark.
    Your point in sharing this with us???
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  3. #73
    The Typing Tabby grey_beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Your point in sharing this with us???
    @Coriolis --

    Two points.

    1) People have been having the discussion about following tradition since before the people on this thread were born. Don't think that's gonna change.
    2) People who wish to go contrary to tradition may all have their own private reasons for seeking to overturn the tradition; it is often presented that blindly
    clinging to a tradition can cause problems, but blindly defying or overturning traditions can cause its own problems...
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

    Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

  4. #74
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I guess there are hipsters that really make anti-conformism the aim itself, but I think most non-traditional people are merely trying to pursue what they want. Traditions tend to follow cultural ideals, which in turn tend to be narrow to a point that few human beings can realistically reflect them.

    As far as your statements are concerned, I am traditionally in many of the ways you want to be. Does that make me traditional in general? When it comes to arguments of politics, I tend to loath the position of tradition every time.

    You see, I have no problem with people being traditional because they incidentally want something that is considered traditional. I am disturbed by tradition being considered inherently valuable. I am disturbed by that idea that something which has always been done in memory ought to be continued. If someone builds their own life on that premise I question their path to happiness, and if someone tries to alter other peoples' lives to match that premise I consider them oppressors.
    Seconded
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  5. #75
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    So what I am getting at. Is it doesn't matter if you are or aren't traditional but as long as you have reflected on your choice and that it works for you.
    Why not just be?
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  6. #76
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    Why not just be?
    Because people think it's fine to judge me for my actions so I'm returning the favor
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  7. #77
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    People are people
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #78
    Member Fluorescent's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    HOT
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Traditions are a man made social construct that's anything but static, dated norms that have outlived their usefulness get discarded.
    So I don't see any valid reason to either hate or follow blindly all of them.

    If we are talking about dangerous and potentially hindering practices, I'm all for eradicating them but America's upper middle class suburban dream isn't one of them (the majority of posters are probably murricans so let's use that as a reference). Hell, I doubt there are CIA agents ready to execute you on the spot if you don't go to church or choose to be a polyamorous songwriter and even the pearl clutching is blown out of proportion.
    Pick your own traditions according to what suits your goals, nothing wrong with rejecting some norm that you find absolutely useless and laughable at best and nothing wrong with enjoying security and feeling more comfortable following a tried and true path. Not all laws are made equal.

    Special snowflakery for the sake of being unique and a contrarian is a joke. And that's cool, I love jokes.
    Nowadays everyone is so busy showing off how eclectic, edgy and culturally sophisticated they are, in a sea of infinity tattoos, pastel hair, bold haircuts and pseudo-sociological labels that an actual hipster is probably the guy who wears polos and khakis and works as an accountant.
    “…why is it that when one man builds a wall, the next man immediately needs to know what’s on the other side?”

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Why do people hate INTJs?
    By RaptorWizard in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1034
    Last Post: 09-15-2016, 04:12 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 08:26 AM
  3. Why do people like Romeo and Juliet?
    By Elfboy in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-03-2011, 04:34 AM
  4. [INFP] Why do people Hate the idea of being INFP?
    By CrystalViolet in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 10:39 PM
  5. Why do people get shy and stressed?
    By Synapse in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 08:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO