User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 78

  1. #11
    Senior Member man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    IntP
    Enneagram
    =)
    Socionics
    =)
    Posts
    331

    Default

    i love tradition

    after all, without our tradition our lifes would be as shaky as blender bottle on the roof
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #12
    hypersane Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Probably because it's seen as something divorced from reflection and independent thinking.

    Sometimes I cringe when people tell me about their traditions. Partly because of the implied inflexibility and the freakout people can have when things deviate from their cherished tradition. But other times it's more of a juvenile and irrational despisal of tradition altogether. I wonder if it's related to inferior Si.

  3. #13
    Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Doing and thinking things just because it's a tradition is a fallacy. Argumentum ad antiquitatem. Look it up.
    Ewww is the new sexy


    Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

    And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si


  4. #14
    Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    5,634

    Default

    tradition can be dangerous when it's adhered to without thoughtful consideration.

    some traditions are fine, and even nice, but i'm a firm believer in choosing the tradition, and not letting it choose you.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

  5. #15
    Senior Member yeghor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,418
    Last edited by yeghor; 04-06-2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Redundant

  6. #16
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    We live in a very reflexive, potsmodern world, where everything is meta, or a parody or a deconstruction of conventions. There is all kinds of writing out there that basically just pick random things we all tend to accept as true, and attempt to come to a counterintuive conclusion about (Malcolm Gladwell, Chuck Klosterman, Freakanomics, Cracked.com). Even a lot of TV shows (especially cartoons) satirize the conventions of its medium (Simpsons, Family Guy, Community, etc). Traditions and conventions aren't very hip lately, we're a cynical, smart-alecky generation where everything is constantly changing, phones are obsolete by the end of the year, etc.

    We'll probably see a comeback of sincerity and tradition soon though, The pendulum is bound to swing the other way.

    I personally think traditions are okay, as long as you don't use them to justify thoughtless or inhumane behaviour. It's liek when those big College Sport hazing stories breaks and you hear a bunch of the players protest: but it's a tradition! We've always suffocated weasels by shoving them up freshmen's anuses, we can't stop now I think that attitude is harmful.

  7. #17
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    But other times it's more of a juvenile and irrational despisal of tradition altogether. I wonder if it's related to inferior Si.
    I believe it often is for NPs.

    There are other reasons people behave this way as well (some valid, some not).

    Certain types (and groupings) definitely seem to be more knee-jerk reaction against it, tho.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    Doing and thinking things just because it's a tradition is a fallacy. Argumentum ad antiquitatem. Look it up.
    If simply doing and thinking were appeals to the authority of tradition, then what you'd say would be correct.

    As it stands, though, they are not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    We live in a very reflexive, potsmodern world, where everything is meta, or a parody or a deconstruction of conventions. There is all kinds of writing out there that basically just pick random things we all tend to accept as true, and attempt to come to a counterintuive conclusion about (Malcolm Gladwell, Chuck Klosterman, Freakanomics, Cracked.com). Even a lot of TV shows (especially cartoons) satirize the conventions of its medium (Simpsons, Family Guy, Community, etc). Traditions and conventions aren't very hip lately, we're a cynical, smart-alecky generation where everything is constantly changing, phones are obsolete by the end of the year, etc.

    We'll probably see a comeback of sincerity and tradition soon though, The pendulum is bound to swing the other way.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Sincerity

  8. #18
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    The pendulum will swing back the other way, unmooring your self from traditional societal structures is fun until you want to do things like grow up and start a family.

  9. #19
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Depends on how you spin it.

    I don't hate the old-school American dream of owning a home. But I hate the 'new' tradition of owning a shitty house in the middle of suburbia. I hate all the strings and stupid things and debts attached to it all.

    I don't say I.. necessarily hate the idea of tradition. But sometimes it just hurts and feels constraining. I almost feel guilty about not wanting children because traditional people in my family (i.e. everyone but me literally) want to see me 'happy' and they think that's impossible without children and a husband. But the idea of having children terrifies me, and the idea of a wedding is terrifying to me. Any way others spin it.. it's not me. "Oh, but you're strong! you've been to war! you can handle a BABY." No. No I cannot. War did not scare me nearly as much as dealing with a baby does. "You're a happy person, you'll bond with it and it'll be fine." History in my family has shown every woman except my sister has suffered from post-baby depression, and I feel exhausted emotionally and physically after only a few hours with children. They aren't monsters to me, I like them.. but the idea of ME having one, physically making it and carrying it and nurturing it, is what entirely draws me away from them. I literally have nightmares about babies and weddings, and wake up just as shaken as nightmares where I was being killed or eaten by.. i dunno, insert some horrid animal here. It's angering and frustrating and caging, because I'm constantly scared a guy will not want to be with me long term because I don't want children, or I'm scared that I won't be seen as a woman without these desires.. and frequently that is absolutely true, so my fears are well merited. So yeah, I hate the idea, because it affects me personally via my personal relationships.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  10. #20
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    It's angering and frustrating and caging, because I'm constantly scared a guy will not want to be with me long term because I don't want children, or I'm scared that I won't be seen as a woman without these desires.. and frequently that is absolutely true, so my fears are well merited.
    Most men want children, there's no getting around it.

    Why hate that though?

    Just find a guy that fits you. People can still have a hard time finding someone even if they do want kids.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Why do people hate INTJs?
    By RaptorWizard in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1034
    Last Post: 09-15-2016, 04:12 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 08:26 AM
  3. Why do people like Romeo and Juliet?
    By Elfboy in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-03-2011, 04:34 AM
  4. [INFP] Why do people Hate the idea of being INFP?
    By CrystalViolet in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 10:39 PM
  5. Why do people get shy and stressed?
    By Synapse in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 08:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO