User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't think we stop developing empathy at a certain age. Much of empathy comes from our life experiences and our education about things. Those things, we keep gaining throughout life.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

^^

I agree with this.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by lumi View Post
    By "empathy", I mean the ability to pick up on another's feelings and vicariously experience them yourself.
    I'm not able to do that. Maybe if I had experienced the same thing but not as a general rule. I can be sympathetic but vicariously experience them, no, not even close. I do much better when people tell me what they're thinking and how they feel because I suck at the mind reading thing. I do think people are more likely to develop empathy with age, simply because they have more life experience to draw from.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes SD45T-2 liked this post

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Develop empathy comes from certain events such as the loss of a love the time you almoat died from disease or other times of dark places but I think ot impact people most from how tgey take it they will either run away from it and others will admit they are scared amd try to do better for others or make other lives miaerable

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

I can empathize, but not exactly in the way it seems to be described. I have a difficult time really feeling what someone else is feeling, and for the most part I can find as many or more, reasons not to directly empathize. I can understand situations generally, but with that understanding inevitably comes both positive and negative judgments. I can think about how I might feel in someone elses situation, but I know it is never to the extent where it would actively reflect it- and it takes quite a bit out of me, it never feels natural and seems cheap, almost devaluing of it. I I have been told I come off as cold and heartless, because I tend to discount the other persons emotional state entirely(I have to actively try to remember it), and I instead look at what could be done, what had been done, and I don't know I judge them more in relation to their situation rather than their situation to them.

But I really don't think I am not empathetic.