• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is it possible, to convince someone they're somebody else?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
by keep telling them that they're in denial about it? is it moral. What if they're life depended, on it, like let's say they go somewhere and if they tell this guy their real name they're going to get murdered. and no one knows, except you, would it be ok to convince the person that they were someone completely different? because you couldn't explain rationaly enough as to why they should lie, and they're very stubborn?

Iriohm

MBTI Type
INKP
Enneagram
5w4
In knowing ourselves, and the teachings of Zerthimon, we have become stronger.

Srsly, though, I imagine it depends on the type of person you're dealing with. You may succeed in convincing me I am someone else, for instance, if you're very persistant about it and manage to sneak appropriate props into the picture. As for the morality of it, again I can only tell you my opinion, that being that life of any kind hits very high on the list of things it is ethical to preserve. Identity is also pretty high up there, though.

If the process would result simply in the subject believing they go by a different name, and possibly lead a different life, then I'd say them not getting killed is more important. If the process would result in a drastic and irreversible reform of their identity (say, forced amnesia), then no, I don't believe it would be ethical. Basically, if nothing of their original self survives trying to "save" them, then what's the point?

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
by keep telling them that they're in denial about it? is it moral. What if they're life depended, on it, like let's say they go somewhere and if they tell this guy their real name they're going to get murdered. and no one knows, except you, would it be ok to convince the person that they were someone completely different? because you couldn't explain rationaly enough as to why they should lie, and they're very stubborn?

I wouldn't do it. If I understand the post, it would require me to mindfuck/gaslight someone - basically break them by disconnecting their trust in their own perception and knowledge, relying on deception to do so - and I think that's a horribly violent thing to do to someone. I don't even know if I actually could do it, but whatever the case, that's a kind of violence I'm not willing to do. As for saving their life - if telling the person outright doesn't do it, it's not my responsibility to do violence to them supposedly "for their own good." We all die eventually.