User Tag List

First 567

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Least I offend extroverts, I thought I'd ask. My best friend lives a couple of hours way from me, and we talk often, but she likes to call me and just sit on the phone when there's nothing to say. Even if we've said everything there is to say already, she just likes to sit on the phone together. We could each be doing other things too like watching TV (we wouldn't be watching the same thing) or browsing the internet or doing something else entirely different, but she still wants to sit on the phone together. She just wants company. Trust me, I'm not that likeable, it's just that SHE CAN NOT BE ALONE. Being more introvert myself, it's draining to me, and I'm always feeling like "What are we doing? Why are we still on the phone?". My mind wants to call this extroversion, but I thought I'd ask you folks. What is this?

And for the record, we do actually talk a lot (daily) but at times when we've said everything I'm ready to hang up. She is not and is perfectly happy to stay on the phone.

I didn't make this as a thread for people to start ranting about how much they hate talking on the phone, but rather, to ask what you would call this trait that my friend has. Is it extroversion?
    I would say that your friend has poor communication skills, and that's what I would say.

LadyLazarus

I would call it an extreme version of ESFJ enneagram 2 most likely so/sx.
    I know an ESFJ 2w3 so/sx who won't even go to the bathroom alone...

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    My best friend lives a couple of hours away from me, and we talk often, but she likes to call me and just sit on the phone when there's nothing to say. Even if we've said everything there is to say already, she just likes to sit on the phone together.
    May I ask whether the friendship between you two has always been one of long distance?
    I ask that question because you referred to her behavior as likely being a trait of extraversion, but IMHO an extravert would seek the companionship of several people rather than sharing long awkward silences with one person.
    Last edited by OrderOfTheCaelifera; 03-29-2014 at 11:44 PM. Reason: should have read through the thread prior to replying to OP

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by OrderOfTheCaelifera View Post
    May I ask whether the friendship between you two has always been one of long distance?
    No, we went to high school together and been best friends since then.

I love a companionable silence, and on the phone it is magic.

Some are deaf to magic, and can't hear it, even on the phone.