• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What would you call this trait?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Least I offend extroverts, I thought I'd ask. My best friend lives a couple of hours way from me, and we talk often, but she likes to call me and just sit on the phone when there's nothing to say. Even if we've said everything there is to say already, she just likes to sit on the phone together. We could each be doing other things too like watching TV (we wouldn't be watching the same thing) or browsing the internet or doing something else entirely different, but she still wants to sit on the phone together. She just wants company. Trust me, I'm not that likeable, it's just that SHE CAN NOT BE ALONE. Being more introvert myself, it's draining to me, and I'm always feeling like "What are we doing? Why are we still on the phone?". My mind wants to call this extroversion, but I thought I'd ask you folks. What is this?

And for the record, we do actually talk a lot (daily) but at times when we've said everything I'm ready to hang up. She is not and is perfectly happy to stay on the phone.

I didn't make this as a thread for people to start ranting about how much they hate talking on the phone, but rather, to ask what you would call this trait that my friend has. Is it extroversion?

I would say that your friend has poor communication skills, and that's what I would say.

L

LadyLazarus

I would call it an extreme version of ESFJ enneagram 2 most likely so/sx.
I know an ESFJ 2w3 so/sx who won't even go to the bathroom alone...

OrderOfTheCaelifera

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My best friend lives a couple of hours away from me, and we talk often, but she likes to call me and just sit on the phone when there's nothing to say. Even if we've said everything there is to say already, she just likes to sit on the phone together.

May I ask whether the friendship between you two has always been one of long distance?
I ask that question because you referred to her behavior as likely being a trait of extraversion, but IMHO an extravert would seek the companionship of several people rather than sharing long awkward silences with one person.

Last edited:

Mole

Permabanned
I love a companionable silence, and on the phone it is magic.

Some are deaf to magic, and can't hear it, even on the phone.