User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Thanks. I'm thinking about this.
    I'm just trouble shooting, as I've never talked to her. is it possible to just ask her?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Ginkgo

As an introvert, I can relate to what your friend does, @Giggly. I could do this with a love interest or a bestie. To me, I guess it could be equated to those times I would like to turn the radio on, even if I'm not thoroughly listening. It's about the feeling of someone's presence and it takes a while to achieve that level of trust with me. After you say everything you prepared to say, the interaction just hinges on saying whatever comes to mind in that moment.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    As an introvert, I can relate to what your friend does, @Giggly. I could do this with a love interest or a bestie. To me, I guess it could be equated to those times I would like to turn the radio on, even if I'm not thoroughly listening. It's about the feeling of someone's presence and it takes a while to achieve that level of trust with me. After you say everything you prepared to say, the interaction just hinges on saying whatever comes to mind in that moment.
    that's what I was trying to say, but the phone doesn't apply, because I feel weird talking on it. or simply being on it.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Least I offend extroverts, I thought I'd ask. My best friend lives a couple of hours way from me, and we talk often, but she likes to call me and just sit on the phone when there's nothing to say. Even if we've said everything there is to say already, she just likes to sit on the phone together. We could each be doing other things too like watching TV (we wouldn't be watching the same thing) or browsing the internet or doing something else entirely different, but she still wants to sit on the phone together. She just wants company. Trust me, I'm not that likeable, it's just that SHE CAN NOT BE ALONE. Being more introvert myself, it's draining to me, and I'm always feeling like "What are we doing? Why are we still on the phone?". My mind wants to call this extroversion, but I thought I'd ask you folks. What is this?

And for the record, we do actually talk a lot (daily) but at times when we've said everything I'm ready to hang up. She is not and is perfectly happy to stay on the phone.

I didn't make this as a thread for people to start ranting about how much they hate talking on the phone, but rather, to ask what you would call this trait that my friend has. Is it extroversion?
    This is a perfect example of "desiring closure (J)" versus "avoiding closure (P)." It indicates that your friend is a Perceiving type of some kind.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Least I offend extroverts, I thought I'd ask. My best friend lives a couple of hours way from me, and we talk often, but she likes to call me and just sit on the phone when there's nothing to say. Even if we've said everything there is to say already, she just likes to sit on the phone together. We could each be doing other things too like watching TV (we wouldn't be watching the same thing) or browsing the internet or doing something else entirely different, but she still wants to sit on the phone together. She just wants company. Trust me, I'm not that likeable, it's just that SHE CAN NOT BE ALONE. Being more introvert myself, it's draining to me, and I'm always feeling like "What are we doing? Why are we still on the phone?". My mind wants to call this extroversion, but I thought I'd ask you folks. What is this?

And for the record, we do actually talk a lot (daily) but at times when we've said everything I'm ready to hang up. She is not and is perfectly happy to stay on the phone.

I didn't make this as a thread for people to start ranting about how much they hate talking on the phone, but rather, to ask what you would call this trait that my friend has. Is it extroversion?
    It means one of three things (or some combination of them):

- your friend has a weak sense of self

- your friend is an intimacy whore

- your friend is going to go single white female on your ass

Enneagram

Yeah, one of my super extraverted friends, just kinda like having me around for no reason. It's clear that wants to be alone, because she'll more or less ignore me while I'm there, but she just feels better with people hanging around. She gets me to play video games at her house, just to create noise. If she's left alone in a quiet house, she's like a dog. She starts shivering, and getting all paranoid.

Loneliness, boredom, or social dependency. When I do this it's because I want to distract myself from reality (i.e. a cruddy situation), which sets back in once I hang up the phone, so escapism is another possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    This is a perfect example of "desiring closure (J)" versus "avoiding closure (P)." It indicates that your friend is a Perceiving type of some kind.
    I think this is interesting, too, though I know perceivers (extroverted as well as introverted) who never do this.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Cherry View Post
    Loneliness, boredom, or social dependency. When I do this it's because I want to distract myself from reality (i.e. a cruddy situation), which sets back in once I hang up the phone, so escapism is another possibility.
    INTJ?

Enneagram

One time, I was going through some stuff, and I would constantly call this one ISTJ friend, and I wouldn't let her off the phone. I knew she must have found tiring it, but she bore it well. That lasted about a year for me, maybe your friend is going through a tough time?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Yeah I can do this sometimes, but it's important for me to know the other person's into it too. I usually try to read their mood or sometimes ask outright. Depends on the person and the situation.

I agree with what @skylights said too. It's nice to have company and like ongoing intermittent interactions. They feel casual and comforting.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.