User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I agree with the nostalgia/brainwashing thing. I think it is partly because I'm GenX and I remember things like Saturday morning cartoons being the highlight of my week. Then cable started being a thing (or it already was, but my family was able to afford it) and a lot of the cartoons were thirty minute toy commercials for action figures, etc. It was still fairly clumsy back then. It was less so by the time I had kids.

I love Spaghettios and I can hear the jingle in my head with no effort at all. I have a ton of jingles/parts of jingles in my head. The nostalgia of my childhood is very commercialized. I don't think this is a good thing, but the fondness lingers. I would still be eating Ding Dongs and Twinkies, etc if they were not a bunch of union busting dirtbags. I love McDonald's cheeseburgers. They are shit food, but I love them. If I had been introduced to them as an adult, they would probably make me puke.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

^^^

Yes. I cannot describe to you my unfettered glee in seeing the little girl from Poltergeist in a Strawberry Shortcake commercial on You Tube after not seeing it for twenty years. This has been several years ago itself, when You Tube was more of a newer discovery. I am especially attached to things that spark hazy latent memories of being about 2-5 years old. I mean 6-12 is cool too, but some thing about the early 80s, no matter how repressed or indistinct, feels right to me. I finally realized that songs that made me feel haunted were probably just songs my mom listened to before I had fully conscious memories. Like when I was a baby, I must have heard it.

I had no clue that the Smurfs and Poochie were a franchise. And yeah there are some things I want to eat even if I ethically disagree, or objectively know it's just comfort food. Like Wendy's hamburger the exact way I used to order it as a child, with no cheese and lettuce, tomato and mayo.

Oh yes the joy of finding an orange and a Hershey bar in my grandfather's lunch pail, after he asked me to "put it away for him" with a wink, even though a Hershey bar is like 1/4 vegetable oil and watered down cheap chocolate.

That is why I think totally annihilating this stuff also seems cruel, like ripping people's past from them. I see so many people online who are like this. On Personality Cafe there's a generation section where I watch twenty year olds get nostalgic about 90s Nickelodeon. It seems fairly universal, though maybe more so for certain personality types, idk.

The American archetype is not created by advertising, rather advertising exploits the American archetype.

And it was the great American of the 20th century, Edward Bernays, who taught us how to exploit the American archetype in his book called, Propaganda.

And naturally Oz also exploits the American archetype in our movies and our celebritities. And why not? America is the biggest consumer market in the world. And we hop in for our chop.

I want my account deleted
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

@Marmotini, I haven't read through all the comments but so far can say that I appreciate the honest intelligence of your OP. Nice thread topic!

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Fuck culture and national identity. Identify yourself to yourself, within your boundaries with reasonable consideration for others and the rest will fall into place.

Idealism and competitive edge is at heart of the worst in humanity. Idealism because it breeds and fosters extremity; competitive edge because of idealism whereby people leverage off others because of a lack of self and dependency on collective opinion.
    somebody's inferior Fi kicked in...

Hi Marmie, good food for thought. I wonder if you happened to see The Century of Self (credit to @phobik), that got me to thinking about some of the phenomenon you describe, I posted a bit about it here and found some interesting reading on it here. The self in this modern, commercialized capitalist age fascinates me and I'm interested in what others have to post about it.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Exactly, everyone is effected by this, and there is no alternative. But it isn't "brainwashing", and it's most certainly not mindcontrol. That doesn't exist. The reason have great teeth, is not just because of colgate. It's because it's well established, scientifically, that brushing your teeth is needed for good dental health. Colgate meerly took advangate of that, and it's a good thing they did.

Yes, it's clear you did, but you still didn't address the points that I made. And I already said, I don't see children as being mindlessly trained to particpate in harmful corporations. I do not see it as a big deal because it gets resolved. Children are really impressionable, to everything. You want them to be pure, keep em in a bubble. This is just the typical "think of the children argument!" which is nothing more than emotional pleading. You either have advertisement, or you don't. With how the world works, it needs to be in place. It sucks, but it's how it is, and it really isn't a problem. I already explained how it isn't.

Again, what alternative is there? This is how the world is, you might not like it, but that doesn't make that any different. There is little we can do to change it, because it's needed. Yes, it sucks, and as I said I agree with you that Nestle is not a good company. But solving the problem if them wouldn't be done by just ending consumerism. The medicine would be worse than the disease in that case anyway. What your suggesting we uproot can't be done. As I already said, what can be done is going after the companies themselves. That's viable futile.
    FYP.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    somebody's inferior Fi kicked in...
    Address the points. The rest is too familiar and irrelevant.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    FYP.
    It's not futile. Frito Lays and Pepsi profit began to drop with the aggressive health movement, including the government implementation of healthier food in school and Get Moving.

Nestle is a monster because half the time people don't know they are buying Nestle when they purchase seemingly unrelated brands. Which is why I attack them directly.

Buying from small business is also a way to fight corporate profits.

This nation was built on small and family business. I have no issues with business.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    It's not futile. Frito Lays and Pepsi profit began to drop with the aggressive health movement, including the government implementation of healthier food in school and Get Moving.

Nestle is a monster because half the time people don't know they are buying Nestle when they purchase seemingly unrelated brands. Which is why I attack them directly.

Buying from small business is also a way to fight corporate profits.

This nation was built on small and family business. I have no issues with business.
    Hmm, in grand scheme re fixing everything? It is. As a catalyst for change? Maybe not. Perhaps more clarification was required. /lazy
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.