• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Power, Intelligence, Beauty or Love

?

• Total voters

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Depends on the kind of power. I'd love to teleport and have complete control over time and space. First thing I'd do is is create zombies because they're entertaining.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah ha but see...night is only the absence of light. Making light the only thing there is.
Not at all. Light is just a form of energy, and there are many forms of energy, in addition to matter.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Power, intelligence and beauty exist for love.

lunareclipze

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd choose intelligence, I'd love to be smart.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not at all. Light is just a form of energy, and there are many forms of energy, in addition to matter.

Right, but energy/vibration is all there is. Or there's void. Which is just lack of energy.

I will admit...I used the wrong word lol

But emotions are just energy.

And I was using light in a metaphoric sense more than a literal sense.

So going back to my first post, I should have just said "what is life without love?"

Meaning life without emotions

Meaning life with out vibration

Meaning life without energy

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Right, but energy/vibration is all there is. Or there's void. Which is just lack of energy.
No, actually, there is also matter.

But emotions are just energy.
What form of energy is that? I have never considered them so.

And I was using light in a metaphoric sense more than a literal sense.
So was I, initially. Equating light with good things, and by extension darkness with bad things, denies reality and is misguided.

So going back to my first post, I should have just said "what is life without love?"
I don't know. Did the blue-green algae love? Supposedly they invented sex, but did they also love? They were certainly alive.

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Way to make an extremely light uncomplicated poll a freaking scientific debate about algae or whatever guys
[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] [MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION]

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Way to make an extremely light uncomplicated poll a freaking scientific debate about algae or whatever guys
[MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] [MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION]
Well, as they say, girls just wanna have fun.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At first glance while I was distracted I read it as "power, belligerence, beauty, love...". Yes, power and belligerence...

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Definition of Fun according to Urban Dictionary example #8

Fun
The only reason to live, because without it life sucks!
Boy: Hey want to go have some fun?
Girl: Can't, got to do homework. :(
Boy: WHAT?! Screw homework you can do it later!!
Girl: What will be doing anyway?
*Girl's dad pulls up driveway from work*
Boy: Uuuuuhhh you know what, homework sounds like a good idea right now...

For some people i guess talking about energy and mass is fun. Anyways here's some background music for your conversation

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definition of Fun according to Urban Dictionary example #8

Fun
The only reason to live, because without it life sucks!
Boy: Hey want to go have some fun?
Girl: Can't, got to do homework. :(
Boy: WHAT?! Screw homework you can do it later!!
Girl: What will be doing anyway?
*Girl's dad pulls up driveway from work*
Boy: Uuuuuhhh you know what, homework sounds like a good idea right now...
This definition is seriously dependent on the nature of the homework assignment.

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
This definition is seriously dependent on the nature of the homework assignment.

The nature of the homework assignment is very scientific. Lots to do with learning biology and reproduction by example.

Something tells me you wouldnt like it though

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, actually, there is also matter.

Coriolis I truly enjoy talking to you. (not sarcastic)

I was under the impression that we were going by the mass–energy equivalence: the concept that the mass of an object or system is a measure of its energy content.

And that according to Einstein's formula E = mc2 mass is another form of energy.

But if we are not going by that, then I will admit you are right again.

However, even if you're right about there being 2...

and Energy is the property of matter and radiation that is manifest as a capacity to perform work.(such as causing motion or the interaction of molecules)....

Then what is matter without energy? :puppy_dog_eyes:

What is life without interaction/affinity/stimuli? :puppy_dog_eyes:

(I don't know if I've overused the phrase two sides of the same coin ^ )

(And this really reminds me of a much broader concept you and I were talking about in the "Why do ppl hate INTJ's" thread. And we could just agree to disagree that some people don't need to socialize/interact. lol)

I think that even with all the knowledge, power, and beauty one could have, that none of that matters if there is not love.

The reason that people do anything that they do....is so they get the feeling/emotion of (having) it. Whether it's having it, being with someone, doing something, etc...

What form of energy is that? I have never considered them so.

Emotion refers to a collection of psychological states that include subjective experience, expressive behavior (e.g., facial, bodily, verbal), and peripheral physiological responses (e.g., heart rate, respiration).

And "Affective Science is the scientific study of emotion or affect. Researchers can use fMRI, EEG and physiological measures of skin conductance, muscle tension and hormone secretion as way to measure emotion. " -wiki

So the type of energy is human kinetics.

So was I, initially. Equating light with good things, and by extension darkness with bad things, denies reality and is misguided.

Yes, I think there's a significant difference between the word evil/bad vs detrimental.

I haven't heard of someone turning on a dark switch though.

"Evil..." however subjective it is defined, is still the absence of "Good."

A shadow is merely the absence of light.

Once you shine light on/exalt the shadow...it is no longer, by definition, a shadow.

So no, I don't really relate the word bad/darkness with detrimental because "bad" is so subjective.

I don't know. Did the blue-green algae love? Supposedly they invented sex, but did they also love? They were certainly alive.

Ah and now we get into consciousness and desire. :wubbie: (Where I think this has turned strictly philosophical.)

And this is probably where I differ with most people.

I would like to believe they were conscious (what little they have,) therefore having desire (again very little).

And love is such a broad term. All the context in the world will probably not define it completely.

Love could possibly be defined here as affinity/desire. (In a very broad sense, and only going on the assumption that one's ability to desire is equal to the amount of consciousness one has, of course.)

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Intelligence > Beauty > Love > Power

What does that say about me?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you pick intelligence, you just might be an INTP. :shock:

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The nature of the homework assignment is very scientific. Lots to do with learning biology and reproduction by example.

Something tells me you wouldnt like it though
It sounds more like highjinks than homework. Plus I have always preferred physics to biology. (All sciences boil down to physics in the end, anyway.)

(And this really reminds me of a much broader concept you and I were talking about in the "Why do ppl hate INTJ's" thread. And we could just agree to disagree that some people don't need to socialize/interact. lol)

I think that even with all the knowledge, power, and beauty one could have, that none of that matters if there is not love.

The reason that people do anything that they do....is so they get the feeling/emotion of (having) it. Whether it's having it, being with someone, doing something, etc...
I do disagree on the need to socialize. Unless you attribute emotions, including love, to the lifeforms that predated the advent of humans, your statement implies nothing that came before us matters, or even counts as life. That is anthropocentric, and just plain arrogant.

Emotion refers to a collection of psychological states that include subjective experience, expressive behavior (e.g., facial, bodily, verbal), and peripheral physiological responses (e.g., heart rate, respiration).

And "Affective Science is the scientific study of emotion or affect. Researchers can use fMRI, EEG and physiological measures of skin conductance, muscle tension and hormone secretion as way to measure emotion. " -wiki

So the type of energy is human kinetics.
Kinetics implies motion, but this is far from the only kind of energy. You still haven't made a case for considering emotion to be a form of energy. Behavior is not emotion, it is at most the expression of emotion. The physiological effects you mention (heart rate, etc.) can be caused by many things, such as physical exertion, and are hardly unique to emotion. Out of your list, we are left then with subjective experience, which seems the least of all to equate to energy. At least the physiological effects have a physical basis, with all the matter-energy interplay that implies (though no unique tie to emotion).

Yes, I think there's a significant difference between the word evil/bad vs detrimental.

I haven't heard of someone turning on a dark switch though.

"Evil..." however subjective it is defined, is still the absence of "Good."

A shadow is merely the absence of light.

Once you shine light on/exalt the shadow...it is no longer, by definition, a shadow.

So no, I don't really relate the word bad/darkness with detrimental because "bad" is so subjective.
Bad and detrimental are equivalent. Evil goes beyond either to imply intent, and is more subjective. I equate none of these with darkness any more than with light. Turning "on" darkness may be no more than turning off or limiting light, but mechanisms aside, it can be a desirable goal in and of itself, and not merely what prevails when you don't have the light you want. Shadow, interestingly, comes from the interplay between darkness and light, as does much literal and symbolic meaning, such as the words on this screen. Notably it is the dark parts that carry the meaning (unless you have inverted the standard colors on your display).

Love could possibly be defined here as affinity/desire. (In a very broad sense, and only going on the assumption that one's ability to desire is equal to the amount of consciousness one has, of course.)
Now this is extrapolating too far. The world is full of desire that has nothing to do with love, but rather is selfish and ultimately harmful. At least the blue-green algae were innocent of that.

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Its official, INTJ girls crack me the fuck up

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do disagree on the need to socialize. Unless you attribute emotions, including love, to the lifeforms that predated the advent of humans, your statement implies nothing that came before us matters, or even counts as life. That is anthropocentric, and just plain arrogant.

Well to be honest, I (and you probably) can see I wasn't really ready for an all out challenge such as yourself :p lol

I most definitely don't believe that they don't count as life.

To go back to my original post, with maybe a better interpretation of what I meant, and maybe a clean slate... when I said life without light...

First I could express that my opinion leans towards string theory, more than not. (And I'm most definitely not saying that physicists are saying we're all made of love...but they are saying energy.)

The fundamental idea of the theory is explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd-MD1K5Wks
or more in depth here: http://www.nuclecu.unam.mx/~alberto/physics/string.html

This is how people have gotten the idea that we're all made from stars via the big bang, etc...

And now that I have formulated my thoughts and words better, I was merely pointing out that "light." Specifically the light from the stars...again...it isn't supposed to be taken literal...although I guess if string theory proves to be right...it would mean what is life without string? lol. (Maybe I was thinking light sounded more profound or something...sorry about that.)

And that would be the reason why I don't think that what was before us doesn't matter....it's quite the opposite. It's all that matters, is what I was getting at.

Also I know what you were saying (of course)...I know that there is balance between good and bad, light and dark, all of that...

But that is also pointing out the duality in the world, where there is also oneness. Which is what I was trying to point out...

I don't know if that clears anything I was saying up. :shrug:

(I would discuss socializing, but it'll probably bring us off topic, so I'm going to leave it there.)

Kinetics implies motion, but this is far from the only kind of energy. You still haven't made a case for considering emotion to be a form of energy. Behavior is not emotion, it is at most the expression of emotion. The physiological effects you mention (heart rate, etc.) can be caused by many things, such as physical exertion, and are hardly unique to emotion. Out of your list, we are left then with subjective experience, which seems the least of all to equate to energy. At least the physiological effects have a physical basis, with all the matter-energy interplay that implies (though no unique tie to emotion).

My "case" was that everything is energy. But even without that...

Neural oscillations can be picked up by EEG's and fMRI. I believe it's the theta wave that is contributed to emotional regulation. (wave meaning vibration, hence energy.)

And yes, while the scientific definition of human kinetics deals with our movement, it also deals with the relationship of how movement and changes in the brain are related.

So we measure the electromagnetic energy of our brain, which is a form of radiant energy.

Bad and detrimental are equivalent. Evil goes beyond either to imply intent, and is more subjective. I equate none of these with darkness any more than with light. Turning "on" darkness may be no more than turning off or limiting light, but mechanisms aside, it can be a desirable goal in and of itself, and not merely what prevails when you don't have the light you want. Shadow, interestingly, comes from the interplay between darkness and light, as does much literal and symbolic meaning, such as the words on this screen. Notably it is the dark parts that carry the meaning (unless you have inverted the standard colors on your display).

Someone could say "I had a bad time at such and such," and another could say "I had a good time."

And what about what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger?

I think that the word bad is just too subjective. I often don't agree with what people say is "bad." And that is cause I love a challenge. In which most people don't like one. I find that people take the easy way out, and victimize themselves based off of subjective perception.

On the other hand when something is detrimental/harmful I think objective evidence for that, is more readily available.

(IMO the difference is that the word bad has a subjective connotation that can be attached to it, where detrimental can rarely be argued with. Could just be the connotation, that I solely pick up, I guess...:shrug:)

Now this is extrapolating too far.

:D

I'm agreeing to disagree lol. On the basis of my extremely loosely defined word. lol

The world is full of desire that has nothing to do with love, but rather is selfish and ultimately harmful. At least the blue-green algae were innocent of that.

I would think all desire is "selfish." A species wants to survive, and beyond that...they want to better themselves...no matter what. (I don't actually think that's selfish btws.)

The blue-green algae could seem ruthless in they would stop at nothing to survive. And they're lucky because they have not been exposed to a domestication process such as our society has. lol So they're innocent in that they are ignorant of such burdens...hence negating the value of intelligence. :laugh:

(I'm mostly joking on that last sentence here, your obviously talking about intent, and I get what you're saying.)