• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are people afraid to ask for things?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
prplchknz said:
no i'm not talking about favors, i'm talking about burittos and wanting a bite

To me, that's a favor. If someone does something for you or gives you something (even if you asked) when they didn't have to, that's considered a favor.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
To me, that's a favor. If someone does something for you or gives you something (even if you asked) when they didn't have to, that's considered a favor.

so wait, if you give me a bite of food, i have to at a later date give you a bite of food? what if you're hit by a bus, do I have to leave a bite of sandwich at your grave?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I can't speak for everyone, but I have not asked for many things I want. It's because I hate feeling like I am in anyone's debt. I like being in the black socially.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
prplchknz said:
so wait, if you give me a bite of food, i have to at a later date give you a bite of food?

No, but if I ask you for a favor at a later date, you might feel more obliged because you ate my burrito. Btw, restaurants take advantage of this feeling of indebtedness by giving people mints. Restaurants that give mints get about a 10% increase in tips, because the patrons don't want to feel indebted to them.

MBTI Type
INTJ
so wait, if you give me a bite of food, i have to at a later date give you a bite of food? what if you're hit by a bus, do I have to leave a bite of sandwich at your grave?

You're thinking about it far too formally. It's the possibility of indebtedness. Sure, most people who give you a bite of a burrito are going to forget it the next day. But you you can avoid the chance altogether by not having the bite.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
No, but if I ask you for a favor at a later date, you might feel more obliged because you ate my burrito. Btw, restaurants take advantage of this feeling of indebtedness by giving people mints. Restaurants that give mints get about a 10% increase in tips, because the patrons don't want to feel indebted to them.

but i'm always willing to commit favors, if I like you. and if i asked for a bite of your burrito it means i like you, because i'm taking the time to spend time with you and talk to you

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You're thinking about it far too formally. It's the possibility of indebtedness. Sure, most people who give you a bite of a burrito are going to forget it the next day. But you you can avoid the chance altogether by not having the bite.

but if i only want a bite, and i buy a whole burrito then i'll have to throw most of it out. i think i'll risk it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, I have a lot of trouble asking people for things, and it's because I'm afraid of them saying no (quite irrational, I can't explain why I'm so afraid of hearing the word no) or out of fear that I'll just annoy them if I ask.
If you don't ask, you are already telling yourself "no". Better to let the other person do it if it is going to happen; it's probably their job, after all.

Ozones

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
OP, you ask people for things? Damn the cajones on this one

:wtf:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i'm confused. this whole thread is confusing. i give up. so i shouldn't ask for things?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't fear people saying no as much as i fear them saying yes and actually being put out or annoyed by it. wish people would just say what they mean so i didn't have to worry about that kinda stuff.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm confused. this whole thread is confusing. i give up. so i shouldn't ask for things?

you should ask for things.

but sometimes people don't, and i think people are just giving reasons why.

also, that's a really broad concept, Asking For Things. i think there's a lot of gray in there. so i dunno, you shouldn't not ask for things, but you shouldn't ask for everything.

...is my two cents :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
you should ask for things.

but sometimes people don't, and i think people are just giving reasons why.

also, that's a really broad concept, Asking For Things. i think there's a lot of gray in there. so i dunno, you shouldn't not ask for things, but you shouldn't ask for everything.

...is my two cents :D

I don't ask for everything.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
but people are saying I shouldn't. and If i do i owe them. so do i owe them? have I been an unintentional asshole all these years?

naw man. if people don't want to give you something, they should say no. but i also think that you should give people things when they ask when you want to/can to balance everything out.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's what i've been doing

perfect! problem solved.

fuck all y'all haters.

(note: i haven't really read this thread. i probably don't mean 'fuck you' to anyone specifically :D )

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
lol, I think give and take is healthy and ultimately the purpose of relationships. I'm not really the whimsical type, so unless I was courting someone or wanted to make them feel helpful I wouldn't ask them for something like a makeshift trophy, but if you have a crafty/creative friend doing so seems like it would bring you closer together.

I guess what I'm getting at is that, beyond friendship, connection, and occasionally collaboration, there isn't much someone else could get me that I couldn't get myself.

MBTI Type
INTJ
but people are saying I shouldn't. and If i do i owe them. so do i owe them? have I been an unintentional asshole all these years?

No one is saying you shouldn't ask for things, or that you owe anyone if you do. People are answering the question in title of your thread, which is "Why are people afraid to ask for things?" It's not the same.