• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Messy desks and creative thinking

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't really have a desk. But when I am cooking it looks like all hell broke loose in my kitchen. That's why I like to cook a bunch of stuff at once and be done with it for a week or so.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It doesn't just stop at a desk for me...my living room and car are messy too...but I manage to find things, as opposed to when things are "organized."

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree that typing famous people, especially those who are deceased, is subject to a wide margin of error. :yes:
All we have to attempt typing them are the artifacts of their personal lives, careers, academic achievements, etc, right? :thinking:
yeah, totally. i mean there can be clues, and some people seem to fit a certain type perfectly, but most don't i'd say.

And this is a good thing, IMHO, because knowing what works for YOU and YOUR MIND is essential if you are ever to get a lot of good work done over the long run of time. :hifive:

If you never figure out what works for you with regard to what type of work environment best suits your mind's workflow, then you will inevitably waste countless hours each time you work tweaking whatever part of your environment is bothering you at that time. :BangHead: :shock:
absolutely. nothing more efficient than doing things in the way that works for you personally. so worth working to find, create, and maintain that. i'm still working on it :blush:

Just out of curiosity, is the work you do most often more creative in nature? Or more methodical/administrative/etc. in nature?
I'm curious because both types of environments ("messy" vs "neat") work for me, depending on what the nature ("creative" vs "administrative") of the work is. :happy:
mostly administrative, which is a whole thing for a whole 'nother thread. but, there are definitely creative aspects of my job. my work environment is fast-paced, and it's just its nature that i have lots going on at once. so even the administrative/technical aspects of it are kind of all being done in small increments and with a lot of different tasks 'open' simultaneously.

sometimes, when i know i'm going to have a day with no students and i have a big technical task ahead of me, i do organize my stuff a little more, and it helps me get a nice flow going. but, those days, it's harder for me to be productive than when i have a bunch of different things going at once and i can kinda bounce around from thing to thing.

but honestly, i was thinking about other spaces i 'work' in too when i was replying to this thread. the room where i get dressed is *very* messy. because i like to have all my clothes out and around so i can think of different combinations of things to wear. if i had all my stuff neatly put away, i would forget about things, not be able to look around and kinda scan, trial and error, change one thing, etc. it works for me.

also, my kitchen. i took all of the doors off my cupboards and have a big shelving unit where all my other things are, for an 'open' style or whatever. for me, just being able to scan around, grab what i want to use, and keep it all moving is so much more natural for me. i love to cook, but i hardly ever use recipes, and i really don't like baking. for me, improvisation, creativity, and motion is everything.

in conclusion, i probably need a better relationship with my inferior function. BUT we recently had a bit of a bad breakup, so i'm not really keen on it these days.

Cheers!

:cheers:

-Halla74

Cheers!
:cheers:

Daenera

Rogue heart
Wanted to post a picture that conveys my thoughts on the matter, but it says I exceeded my quota. *flips over desk* Well I guess that solves it!

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wanted to post a picture that conveys my thoughts on the matter, but it says I exceeded my quota. *flips over desk* Well I guess that solves it!

Try uploading it as URL instead of an attachment.