User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Common usage allows for direct and meaningful communication, something that people who are both empathic (feeling as others) and sympathetic (caring for the situation of others) appreciate.
    This is like believing we learn to read and write naturally, just as we learn to speak our language naturally, when in fact we are compelled by State Law to attend a special institution with specially trained staff to learn to read and write.

So sympathy is the analog of naturally learning to speak our mother tongue, while empathy is the analog of learning the unnatural skill of reading and writing.

But it is the ideology of the New Age that appeals to our vanity and tells us we are naturally empathic and require no training whatsoever.

And it is the same New Age that tells us we do not need vaccination because the body naturally defends against polio. But where they have succeeded in stopping vaccination, children are catching the horror disease of polio.

And it is simply low vanity that equates sympathy which empathy, and betrays the suffering.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    This is like believing we learn to read and write naturally, just as we learn to speak our language naturally, when in fact we are compelled by State Law to attend a special institution with specially trained staff to learn to read and write.
    Language is created by a society of people. And it has no sympathy for your strange need to reverse the meanings of empathy and sympathy. I, however, can empathize, as I wretch every time I hear that the plural of e-mail is e-mails. But you know, I just deal. Pluralization is a very minor matter, though. Your crime is attempting to redefine gerbil to mean hamster, and vice versa, when they are in fact what they are, even if many people get them confused.

Language is created by a society of people. And it has no sympathy for your strange need to reverse the meanings of empathy and sympathy. I, however, can empathize, as I wretch every time I hear that the plural of e-mail is e-mails. But you know, I just deal. Pluralization is a very minor matter, though. Your crime is attempting to redefine gerbil to mean hamster, and vice versa, when they are in fact what they are.
    Popular culture is low, cheap and ugly and impoverishes us all.

We all have two countries: our own and France.
    And we all have two cultures: our own and American.

And American popular culture is low, cheap, ugly, exploitative, uneducated and is based on power alone.

Look at a map of the world from above the tip of South America, and we find there are four Continents in a row: the Continents of North America, South America, Antarctica, and Australia. And the futher we get from North America the more prosperous and more civilized we are. And thank God Australia is the furthest from North America.

Quote Originally Posted by two cents View Post
    If you've led a mostly sheltered life free from major suffering, and your deepest experience of loss was when you were 8 and your hamster died... yeah, just forget it, you won't be able to empathize with this experience. Your best bet is to express condolences (i.e. offer your sympathy, since you feel bad for them because they feel bad, even if you don't fully understand all the ways in which they feel bad) and offering to be there for them if they should need anything.
    So there are possibly more NFs than we think.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Popular culture is low, cheap and ugly and impoverishes us all.

We all have two countries: our own and France.
    And we all have two cultures: our own and American.

And American popular culture is low, cheap, ugly, exploitative, uneducated and is based on power alone.

Look at a map of the world from above the tip of South America, and we find there are four Continents in a row: the Continents of North America, South America, Antarctica, and Australia. And the futher we get from North America the more prosperous and more civilized we are. And thank God Australia is the furthest from North America.
    Australia feels the same about your crimes against the English language and so does every English speaking country on Earth. So, you may wish to consider cutting and pasting your rant somewhere else where an American decides to correct you, and Australia actually wishes to back you up.

Australia feels the same about your crimes against the English language and so does every English speaking country on Earth. So, you may wish to consider cutting and pasting your rant somewhere else where an American decides to correct you, and Australia actually wishes to back you up.
    C'mon, eliding sympathy and empathy is dumb, but it is a popular practice of the New Age.

And look, the New Age is dumb but makes a lot of money from the naive and ignorant.

MBTI
    yupp

pop culture is considered low-brow because it is mass produced for the lowest common denominator. We all think we are not the lowest common denominator every single person in the world claims to hate pop culture, but most watch shows like the Kardashians and listen to music by TI buys 500 dollar outfits that were made by a child in a third world country for pennies. yet people say they're too good for pop culture. some most people are lying, otherwise those things would not be popular. of course most popular things are made so by teens, and that is what they market to tweens and teens

In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    pop culture is considered low-brow because it is mass produced for the lowest common denominator.
    We are the lowest common denominator because we believe in mbti and astrology.

MBTI
    yupp

We are the lowest common denominator because we believe in mbti and astrology.
    that is not what I meant by lowest common denominator, I'm not disagreeing just the reasoning is wrong
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

C'mon, eliding sympathy and empathy is dumb, but it is a popular practice of the New Age.

And look, the New Age is dumb but makes a lot of money from the naive and ignorant.
    Yeah, the New Age the Illuminati, the Dictionary... whatever. (That last Americanism was inserted especially for you.)