User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default mental illness and I and F functions

I read somewhere that mental illness has a tendency to cause an increase in the intuition and feeling functions. If this were true, would this cause some mentally ill persons to be mistyped?
    That which does not kill me, improves my looks. - Michael Jackson

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

To my knowledge, there is no data to support this assertion, so it's meerly speculation. Nevertheless, I would not agree that introverts, or feelers are more predisposed to mental illnesses. That said, I would not be shocked if some types are more likely to be afflicted with some mental illnesses over others.

As for mental illnesses causing someone to be mistyped? I would say it's certainly possible. Likely happens all the time actually.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default mistyped

It's just speculation,course. Suppose an ENFP is a hoarder, he/she may appear to be too attached to sensory things. Not all hoarders are the same personality type,but it might cause them to be mistyped. e.g. schizophrenics may be typed as mostly being N types. I've seen a lot of material related to celebrity MBTI types, but not much related to the spectra of mental illness, like OCD, MPD, borderline personality disorder etc.
    That which does not kill me, improves my looks. - Michael Jackson

MBTI
    yupp

I don't see why it couldn't if you think about it drug use mimics certain mental illnesses and while under the influence people will appear to be a different type. I think that same could be said about untreated mental illness. A lot of people are going to say no on here, but I disagree
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

garbage

Here's a thing that's very loosely connected: Correlations between MBTI and Big Five. Introversion and Perception are ever so slightly correlated with Big Five's Neuroticism.

Even that should be taken with a grain of salt, though, like a game of telephone played with 100 people in a circle, or a Xerox of a Xerox of a Xerox..

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    Here's a thing that's very loosely connected: Correlations between MBTI and Big Five. Introversion and Perception are ever so slightly correlated with Big Five's Neuroticism.

Even that should be taken with a grain of salt, though, like a game of telephone played with 100 people in a circle, or a Xerox of a Xerox of a Xerox..
    Your age is showing
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Your age is showing
    I almost used "phonograph" instead of "telephone." I had to catch myself because kids these days probably don't know what phonographs are.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Sure: if one isn’t in the right frame of mind, identifying one’s most inherent tendencies might lower in accuracy for some. However, Neuroticism (Big Five) positively relates to mental illness (on the high end: family dissatisfaction, abuse, lack of occupational commitment, antisocial behavior, etc.). There is extensive research on this… as well as Extraversion, Openness, Agreeableness and Conscientiousness being positively related to health, interpersonal relationships (not always for Openness, although there aren’t bad outcomes here either) and career performance success. One of the strongest personality papers indicates that these personality facets might be better predictors of life outcomes than SES and cognitive ability (although these are influential as well).