• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

mental illness and I and F functions

+ patch

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I read somewhere that mental illness has a tendency to cause an increase in the intuition and feeling functions. If this were true, would this cause some mentally ill persons to be mistyped?:happy2:

á´…eparted

passages
To my knowledge, there is no data to support this assertion, so it's meerly speculation. Nevertheless, I would not agree that introverts, or feelers are more predisposed to mental illnesses. That said, I would not be shocked if some types are more likely to be afflicted with some mental illnesses over others.

As for mental illnesses causing someone to be mistyped? I would say it's certainly possible. Likely happens all the time actually.

+ patch

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
mistyped

It's just speculation,course. Suppose an ENFP is a hoarder, he/she may appear to be too attached to sensory things. Not all hoarders are the same personality type,but it might cause them to be mistyped. e.g. schizophrenics may be typed as mostly being N types. I've seen a lot of material related to celebrity MBTI types, but not much related to the spectra of mental illness, like OCD, MPD, borderline personality disorder etc.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't see why it couldn't if you think about it drug use mimics certain mental illnesses and while under the influence people will appear to be a different type. I think that same could be said about untreated mental illness. A lot of people are going to say no on here, but I disagree

G

garbage

Here's a thing that's very loosely connected: Correlations between MBTI and Big Five. Introversion and Perception are ever so slightly correlated with Big Five's Neuroticism.

Even that should be taken with a grain of salt, though, like a game of telephone played with 100 people in a circle, or a Xerox of a Xerox of a Xerox..

LittleV

Just a note...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Sure: if one isn’t in the right frame of mind, identifying one’s most inherent tendencies might lower in accuracy for some. However, Neuroticism (Big Five) positively relates to mental illness (on the high end: family dissatisfaction, abuse, lack of occupational commitment, antisocial behavior, etc.). There is extensive research on this… as well as Extraversion, Openness, Agreeableness and Conscientiousness being positively related to health, interpersonal relationships (not always for Openness, although there aren’t bad outcomes here either) and career performance success. One of the strongest personality papers indicates that these personality facets might be better predictors of life outcomes than SES and cognitive ability (although these are influential as well).

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I beliebe that certain mental illnesses can have similarities with some of the aspects associatef with different types. Like ESFPs and borderline personality disorder or T typed and antisocial personality disorder. I believe that there are people of those types who have the disorder one might expect and people who dont. There are people out there who are INTPs who probaby have histrionic personaliry disorder just as there are ESF types who DONT have it.

I believe that mental illness and type is pretty unrelated because the whys behind the certain behaviors are not the same. Maybe it is more likely for a type to have a particular mental illness- especaily if its a situational one... but the ones that are hardwired... I think are just the unluck of the draw.

That said, Im an INFP and I have more mental illness then my SJ mother and brother... and about the same as my untypable because of so many mental illnesses dad. But my SJ brother still has ADHD- a condition primarily associated with P types, and I have bipolar disorder which is more associated with extroverts.