• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychology of Gun Lovers

Mole

Permabanned
I'm pretty knowledgeable about guns and comfortable around them.

It is interesting to hear your personal testimony from the other side of the world.

But we can hear interesting personal testimonies till the cows come home, but such anecdotes tell us nothing about the psychology of gun lovers.

So I think it is becoming plain that gun lovers take their love for granted because everyone around them shares the same love. And for gun lovers to analyse their psyche about their love for guns is unthinkable, would be anti-social, and perhaps even heretical.

And so we will continue to get personal testimony in the form of anecdotes, and critical thinking about the psychology of gun lovers will go begging.

R

RDF

It is interesting to hear your personal testimony from the other side of the world.

But we can hear interesting personal testimonies till the cows come home, but such anecdotes tell us nothing about the psychology of gun lovers.

So I think it is becoming plain that gun lovers take their love for granted because everyone around them shares the same love. And for gun lovers to analyse their psyche about their love for guns is unthinkable, would be anti-social, and perhaps even heretical.

And so we will continue to get personal testimony in the form of anecdotes, and critical thinking about the psychology of gun lovers will go begging.

Hi Molio,

Up here in Vermont, asking about the psychology of gun owners is like asking about the psychology of people who own snowmobiles or boats (both of which just about everyone has up here). When everyone has one, there's no psychology to it. It's just something you own, like everyone else.

Mole

Permabanned
Hi Molio,

Up here in Vermont, that's like asking about the psychology of people who own snowmobiles or boats (which just about everyone has up here). When everyone has one, there's no psychology to it. It's just something you own, like everyone else.

Yes, the psychology of the taken-for-granted is fascinating.

The taken-for-granted is our invisible environment.

And so the delight of psychology is making the invisible, visible.

Who would have guessed, we say, What a surprise!

And an even greater reward awaits those brave enough to step outside the taken-for-granted, and that is ecstasy, for ecstasy or ekstasis, as the Ancient Greeks knew, is simply stepping outside the taken-for-granted.

So just as I can step outside the taken-for-granted in Canberra, Austalia, you can step outside the taken-for-granted on the other side of the world in Vermont.

And even better, we can both step outside the taken-for-granted on Typology Central. For on Central we take cliches for granted, and all we have to do, to find ecstasy on Typology Central, is to step outside our cliches.

R

RDF

Yes, the psychology of the taken-for-granted is fascinating.

The taken-for-granted is our invisible environment.

And so the delight of psychology is making the invisible, visible.

Who would have guessed, we say, What a surprise!

And an even greater reward awaits those brave enough to step outside the taken-for-granted, and that is ecstasy, for ecstasy or ekstasis, as the Ancient Greeks knew, is simply stepping outside the taken-for-granted.

So just as I can step outside the taken-for-granted in Canberra, Austalia, you can step outside the taken-for-granted on the other side of the world in Vermont.

And even better, we can both step outside the taken-for-granted on Typology Central. For on Central we take cliches for granted, and all we have to do, to find ecstasy on Typology Central, is to step outside our cliches.

Or I can drink my whiskey, ride my snowmobile, and shoot my guns. Because that's what everyone does up here, and I don't need anyone's permission to do the same.

Life's good. :D

Mole

Permabanned
Or I can drink my whiskey, ride my snowmobile, and shoot my guns. Because that's what everyone does up here, and I don't need anyone's permission to do the same.

Life's good. :D

Well my dear whisky drinker, gun shooter, and snowmobile rider, 3,500 years ago Socrates taught us that the unexamined life is not worth living.

Now why would he say that when you are perfectly happy with your whisky, guns and snowmobile?

R

RDF

Well my dear whisky drinker, gun shooter, and snowmobile rider, 3,500 years ago Socrates taught us that the unexamined life is not worth living.

Now why would he say that when you are perfectly happy with your whisky, guns and snowmobile?

I've examined my life and found that my life works best with whiskey, snowmobiles and guns.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
What I've observed--being surrounded by these imbecilic yokel fucks my entire life:

The stereotypical gun "enthusiast" (extreme right-wing, redneck, Conservative, Christian, etc.) is often xenophobic, paranoid and intrinsically prone to outbursts of aggression, machismo and unnecessary cruelty to compensate for a tiny brain--probably even dick. Somebody once said that owning a gun is like having two dicks--the shoe fits.

My theory on the why: Evolution. It never quite applied to this breed.
The South is obviously a safe haven from the reptilian indifference of Natural Selection.

This is unfortunate. For all of us.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've examined my life and found that my life works best with whiskey, snowmobiles and guns.
You are the Jeremy Clarkson of Vermont. :D

G

Ginkgo

“The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun.”

― P.G. Wodehouse

G

garbage

One of my dad's friends is an avid hunter. Several years ago he got an elk. He said it was a big ordeal and he didn't think it tasted very good either. He concluded that it would have been more rewarding to shoot a cow. :D
Oh, man. I can make an exception for those who take it all the way and chow down on the animal. They have more testicular fortitude than those of us who just eat animals and divorce ourselves from the source.
Ya'll should watch Season One's episode: Gun Fever. Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Yes yes yes

Yes

Mole

Permabanned
American movies do teach us that problems can be solved with guns.

And so we never get a chance to learn the skills of peace.

The skills of peace are political skills embodied in liberal democracy, inter-personal skills embodied in conflict resolution, and personal skills embodied in psycho-therapy.

fghw

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
1. They look cool
2. They combine fire, sharp objects, and projectiles
3. They make their users feel like Rambo

Pretty much

Mole

Permabanned
1. They look cool
2. They combine fire, sharp objects, and projectiles
3. They make their users feel like Rambo

Pretty much

Guns are a simple solution to a complex problem.

Just as paranoia is a simple solution to a complex problem.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Guns are a simple solution to a complex problem.

IMHO, revoking your ability to access the Internet is a simple solution to a complex problem. :banana2: :static: :static: :yays: :static: :static: :rock:

Just as paranoia is a simple solution to a complex problem.

How about a simple paranoia with a complex solution that involves toy guns and water balloons? :coffee:

:solidarity:

-Halla74

Mole

Permabanned
IMHO, revoking your ability to access the Internet is a simple solution to a complex problem. :banana2: :static: :static: :yays: :static: :static: :rock:

How about a simple paranoia with a complex solution that involves toy guns and water balloons? :coffee:

:solidarity:

-Halla74

Apparently my critique of the gun culture has cut you to the quick.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lots of problems have complex solutions. That doesn't make the solutions wrong.

220px-Complex_number_illustration.svg.png

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think if you live out in the boonies, having a gun wouldn't be the worst idea. I don't think it'd be my thing. I'd rather have big, scary looking dogs.

Also, the deer have got to be kept under control. They are really bad in some areas. Last weekend, we had to drive our daughter to Chicago and we passed a corn field that had at least a hundred deer grazing in it. I don't think it's realistic to reintroduce wolves in most areas where deer are a problem. I think hunting is much more humane than the way we produce most of our meat and would do it myself except for not caring for venison, guns, and the entry costs being expensive. My dad is a veteran and could teach me to shoot. He has a rifle (I think he kept the one he had in the Marines) but he strongly dislikes guns because he's seen what they can do.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As long as the animals are actually used for something, like food, then I don't have a problem with it. Just killing them to have a good time and put a trophy on your wall, though...I find that very unappealing, wasteful, and disrespectful.

This. As long as it is done in a controlled way, so that the animals don't end up on the extinction list, and not during breeding season when you might shoot a mom, leaving several pups starving. Also, amateurs who are too lazy to go find the animal they wounded and doom them to suffering for days on end before finally succumbing to infection need to seriously be shot themselves and left to rot.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Remember to kill one thing every day for the corps

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Apparently my critique of the gun culture has cut you to the quick.

Don't get your hopes up. :newwink:
It's time for us to level set expectations. :happy:

There are times when your posts are insightful and interesting; this is not one of those times. :thumbdown:

There are also times when you rant about things to such a degree that is obvious your participation is all about the chance to rant without any real interest in contributing in a meaningful way to the conversation at hand. IMHO, this is one of those times. :violin:

So far as anyone's ranting having the capacity to cut me to the quick, it's not possible because:

(1) Sticks and stones will break my bones, but hypertext will never hurt me, and

(2) Once it is clear that another's behavior is a juvenile outburst of some kind, there's really nothing to get upset about - the whole display becomes laughable. :rotfl:

For instance, when visiting a zoo, what do monkeys do? :thinking:
They throw their feces out of their cages at the zoo's visitors. :huh:
When you see this happen it is not a trigger for anger; it is easy to laugh off, because that's what monkeys do. :yes: What else do you expect from them? They are monkeys, silly person! :laugh:

And so here we are, monkeys throw their feces at people, Mole rants in ignorant metaphors to satisfy urges for attention seeking, and as always I am having an awesome day. :moonwalk: :bananachamp: :banana2:

Thanks for asking, I appreciate it. :hifive:

Oh, and if you ever feel alone and want company during your next rant - I reccommend the "Me & My Homies" Superfly Monkey 7-Pack for $25.95 at www.buysuperflymonkey.com

Homies7pk-2.jpg

Cheers!

:cheers:

-Halla74