First 1234 Last

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JustAMind View Post
    wow that is sad to hear man, I am sorry for you loss
    Oh she survived it but had permanent injuries--physical and psychological...the latter finally ending her life. My dad survived, too, but he was paralyzed from the waist down, had to be on dialysis, and had a feeding tube. It was crazy because with all of that going on, he was in very bad shape. He finally decided not to be treated anymore, so died from that. It was kind of a dragged-out suicide for both of them.

It's pretty simple: civilian guns are the antithesis of liberal democracy.

Civilian guns are uncivil.

Why is this?

Liberal democracy is based on the discovery that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. And the very raison d'etre of liberal democracy is the limitation of power.

But when we hold a gun in our hands we have the power of life and death over the person in front of us. In other words, a gun gives us absolute power over another person, and so a gun is absolutely corrupting.

And so to have a liberal democracy we limit power by taking guns out of civilian hands.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Civilian guns were instrumental in the establishment of democracy in America, starting with the Battle of Lexington and Concord, which opened our Revolutionary War.

I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Ginkgo

Ya'll should watch Season One's episode: Gun Fever. Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    593 sp/so

I've shot guns a few times. It was fun as hell. Scary too.
    5w6 - 9w8 - 3w2

Words are wind.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Ya'll should watch Season One's episode: Gun Fever. Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy22 View Post
    Other then that, they are nothing other then an extension of the person in control of them, I see people who have a problem with guns as people who have an intrinsic distrust of their own species (thus having a belief they need to be controlled).
    I posit that to be true of anyone who believes in law.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It's pretty simple: civilian guns are the antithesis of liberal democracy.

Civilian guns are uncivil.

Why is this?

Liberal democracy is based on the discovery that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. And the very raison d'etre of liberal democracy is the limitation of power.

But when we hold a gun in our hands we have the power of life and death over the person in front of us. In other words, a gun gives us absolute power over another person, and so a gun is absolutely corrupting.

And so to have a liberal democracy we limit power by taking guns out of civilian hands.
    This post is so dripping with clueless irony it's hilarious. Thanks for the laugh, bro. Keep up the good work!

Default The State, the Gun, and God

The totalitarian impulse is the desire for absolute power.

But we have discovered that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

We are all familar with the expression of the totalitarian impulse in totalitarian States. But we are less familiar with the expression of the totalitarian impulse in the individual.

But when we point a gun at another person we hold the power of life and death over them. This is absolute power. And is the individual expression of the totalitarian impulse.

And the totalitarian impulse is so powerful we project our desire for absolute power onto the one Person who has the power of life and death over each one of us. And the same Person who has absolute power over us created the whole universe.

So the totalitarian impulse is so powerful it finds expression in the totalitarian State, in individual gun lovers, and in religion.

RDF

I have a couple handguns and a shotgun. I have them just because I can. I was trained on weapons of all types back when I was in the military, fired the M-16 in military competitions, etc. So I'm pretty knowledgeable about guns and comfortable around them.

I've never hunted; I just go target shooting: paper targets and clay pigeons. I'm not one of the "cold dead fingers" crowd; I would turn in my guns if they were made illegal. But as long as I'm allowed to have guns, then I will. I'm used to having them around, I don't think of it as a weird thing to have guns around (in the military they were everywhere, of course), and I like the option of going out target shooting if the mood takes me.

The state where I live (Vermont) has some of the most permissive gun laws in the country. Anyone can carry a loaded gun either openly or concealed on their person, including people from out of state. No need to get a permit or check in with the cops; you just strap on a gun and go. Vermont is mostly wild country (mountains) or rural/agricultural land, and hunting keeps the wildlife from overbreeding and getting out of control. Without hunters, the deer would overbreed and deforest the mountains, black bears would be scavenging through garbage cans in towns, red foxes would be raiding poultry on the farms, etc. So guns are everywhere, and everything closes up during hunting season while the residents of all the small towns head into the hills to hunt. (Those who just hunt for the sport traditionally give the meat to food banks and homeless shelters.)

One other thing: I don't keep a gun loaded in the house or carry one on me. I'm a big ex-Marine, and most bad guys would automatically pass me over and look for an easier target. So I feel pretty safe even without a gun. But if I were a woman, I definitely would want a loaded gun close to hand. I knew a female cop in Washington, D.C. who kept a handgun on her at all times, even at times and in settings where she wasn't allowed to carry one. Guns are called "equalizers," and with her gun she was at least the equal of any male criminal she might meet. Without a gun, she would be at the mercy of even unarmed criminals because of her smaller size. She refused to be less than equal, so she always had her "equalizer" with her. And a couple times over the years she did halt crimes in progress and arrest criminals with her handgun while she was off-duty in civilian clothes.