• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In some game series I've seen, what is considered "Griefing" and "Trolling" seems to change each game in the series.

So if someone is attempting to troll you or grief you in a game. Mute/block/ban/kick/ect if you are able too or there is always the leave session option.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One does not have to have a diagnosis of a personality disorder for these findings to apply. It is referring more to a relation between a certain degree of a trait and a certain degree of a behavior.

á´…eparted

passages
Shai is hilarious.

No, not he's not. At least to me. I honestly consider him to be a terrible person (I got to know him really well). I used to be a mod/admin on the INFJ forums (which he started) and he caused all of us so much stress it was nuts. Eventually we gave him the boot.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you type into google: Shai Gar you get several results, most relating to typology. I found this video entertaining, and appropriate, considering he is a part of the discussion

He even has a wikipedia entry, it's not fleshed out though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Shai_Gar

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One does not have to have a diagnosis of a personality disorder for these findings to apply. It is referring more to a relation between a certain degree of a trait and a certain degree of a behavior.
This. I think most people have these traits in trace amounts, and it can go up or down in an unbroken spectrum that can be named pathological at a certain point.

Personally, the findings in the study have been baseball bat-to-the-face obvious to me for many years.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, not he's not. At least to me. I honestly consider him to be a terrible person (I got to know him really well). I used to be a mod/admin on the INFJ forums (which he started) and he caused all of us so much stress it was nuts. Eventually we gave him the boot.

Banned him from his own forum? Sounds like you're an asshole...:D

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Personally, the findings in the study have been baseball bat-to-the-face obvious to me for many years.
It's like Dennis Prager says, studies usually either confirm the obvious or are wrong. :D

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To be fair, what I see as trolling is very specific and narrow with extreme behaviors in mind.

G

garbage

Yeah, that doesn't even seem like the worst of it to me. :laugh: That troll sounds pretty mild - he needs to step up his game.
That's true, too.

My issue is that.. .... those were the research questions? "... for the lulz"?? :thelook:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
the problems with the term troll, is it's so loosely defined, that sometimes if you don't agree with someone, you can get called a troll. and it's like i'm not trying to ruffle your feathers, you're just wrong. get over it.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Internet Trolls Are Narcissistic, Machiavellian, Psychopathic, and Sadistic

"In the past few years, the science of Internet trollology has made some strides. Last year, for instance, we learned that by hurling insults and inciting discord in online comment sections, so-called Internet trolls (who are frequently anonymous) have a polarizing effect on audiences, leading to politicization, rather than deeper understanding of scientific topics.

That’s bad, but it’s nothing compared with what a new psychology paper has to say about the personalities of trolls themselves. The research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two colleagues, sought to directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others).

It is hard to underplay the results: The study found correlations, sometimes quite significant, between these traits and trolling behavior. What’s more, it also found a relationship between all Dark Tetrad traits (except for narcissism) and the overall time that an individual spent, per day, commenting on the Internet."

Entire Article Here

Thoughts?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They could be killing people, they could be torturing animals, but instead, they found a much less harmful way to release their impulses. Trolls are good.

L

LadyLazarus

They could be killing people, they could be torturing animals, but instead, they found a much less harmful way to release their impulses. Trolls are good.

Agreed.

To be honest,they are also rather amusing in an obnoxious, half-baked sort of way.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

This assumes that trolling is some kind of outlet for an impulse to do something worse. I don't see any reason someone can't be a troll and spend some time torturing animals. In fact, I bet a number of trolls I've come across do.

badger055

Permabanned
Seeing you guys talk about trolls like this is just absurd. It's like you are studying humour. You guys need to lighten up and learn to laugh. Reminds me of this.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i am a horrible person
can you deal with that