User Tag List

View Poll Results: How were you diagnosed?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Professional

6 85.71%
  • self/friends/family

1 14.29%
123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default question for people with autism

out of my own curiosity how many of you have been diagnosed offically or been told that a professional suspected you to have autism and how many of you diagnosed yourself or took a quiz that said you did?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm neuro-typical, but my two sons are autistic. The school tested them. Haven't really needed more than that at this point.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I'm neuro-typical, but my two sons are autistic. The school tested them. Haven't really needed more than that at this point.
    that counts as a professional IMO
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    that counts as a professional IMO
    I think so, too. My husband, OTOH, has not been professionally diagnosed, but I think he's on the spectrum. He thinks most of it is hooey. It doesn't matter because he can hold a job and keep a wife happy and that's more than most 'normal' people manage.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    yupp

I think so, too. My husband, OTOH, has not been professionally diagnosed, but I think he's on the spectrum. He thinks most of it is hooey. It doesn't matter because he can hold a job and keep a wife happy and that's more than most 'normal' people manage.
    my mom and dad were packing up my grandparent's condo after my grandpa had past. and there was a box of plates and my mom went to go put something in that wasn't a plate. and my dad started throwing a fit on how it was a box for plates and you can't put other stuff in. and my mom jokingly said maybe we should have him tested for autism. though I don't know how much of it is him being a really unhealthy IxTJ.

I ask because when I was 3-4 I had a lot of the signs of autism including the developmental delays. but after I went to the professional it was deemed I was neurotypical. and I've had people ask me if I'm on the spectrum (not in a mean way). and I wonder if that had never happened would I now think I was autistic based on laymen feedback.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

My wife first suggested it when we were still dating. I spent a lot of time researching aspergers and it seemed to perfectly explain some of my idiosyncrasies and lack of social graces.

I'm not ruling it out, but I've come to seriously question whether I'm actually on the autism spectrum. This doubt has been further amplified by my study and recognition of the cognitive functions within myself.

In short, I've always felt like an outsider looking in, and I think asperger's gave me a crutch to rationalize why I didn't fit in with "normal" society.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

At heart, I’ll always be a bleeding heart liberal.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedecker View Post
    My wife first suggested it when we were still dating. I spent a lot of time researching aspergers and it seemed to perfectly explain some of my idiosyncrasies and lack of social graces.

I'm not ruling it out, but I've come to seriously question whether I'm actually on the autism spectrum. This doubt has been further amplified by my study and recognition of the cognitive functions within myself.

In short, I've always felt like an outsider looking in, and I think asperger's gave me a crutch to rationalize why I didn't fit in with "normal" society.
    this makes sense. it really does. because I've felt the same way. except the spectrum was ruled out, so I just don't fit in because I don't fit in.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    my mom and dad were packing up my grandparent's condo after my grandpa had past. and there was a box of plates and my mom went to go put something in that wasn't a plate. and my dad started throwing a fit on how it was a box for plates and you can't put other stuff in. and my mom jokingly said maybe we should have him tested for autism. though I don't know how much of it is him being a really unhealthy IxTJ.

I ask because when I was 3-4 I had a lot of the signs of autism including the developmental delays. but after I went to the professional it was deemed I was neurotypical. and I've had people ask me if I'm on the spectrum (not in a mean way). and I wonder if that had never happened would I now think I was autistic based on laymen feedback.
    If you have access to a professional, it might help to be checked out. Before my younger son was in school, I took him to a psychologist to have him evaluated. He told me he was fine and not to let him watch so much TV.

I'm not saying my kids did not watch TV, but it was generally PBS stuff and even as a little guy, he liked documentaries. He is also a pacer, so he really didn't just sit and watch TV. He came in and out or was building stuff (well, I knew he was building stuff, but if you didn't know he was building stuff, you might think he was just randomly lining things up).

Your dad could also have some kind of OCD.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    yupp

I'm not saying my kids did not watch TV, but it was generally PBS stuff and even as a little guy, he liked documentaries. He is also a pacer, so he really didn't just sit and watch TV. He came in and out or was building stuff (well, I knew he was building stuff, but if you didn't know he was building stuff, you might think he was just randomly lining things up).
    I did the lining things up as a kid, I don't know if I actually lined stuff up or if I looked like I was (I don't remember). my mom only allowed PBS but I do remember organizing my dolls on my bed and my mom described me as methodical, introverted, logical, and imaginative. and I would watch tv, but I was a pacer always have been I find it relaxes me the more I have going on the more I pace.

Your dad could also have some kind of OCD.
    that's possible, but I don't think it do any good for him to go to a professional he has heart failure and probably be dead before anything happened. plus he's against therapists. my mom's been trying to get him to go for years
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Everybody is on the spectrum nowadays. Quite ridiculous really.

As @Lyedecker mentioned, the functions explains way more. So many ISTJs, INTJs and INTPs with some INFPs on the list get diagnosed as PPD-NOS/Aspergers... which makes me think the whole thing is fishy.