User Tag List

View Poll Results: How were you diagnosed?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Professional

6 85.71%
  • self/friends/family

1 14.29%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    With autistics, it can help to be aware of their sensory stuff. Like they might not want a hug or to try new foods or a loud, enthusiastic greeting. You may need to tell them things in a more literal and/or clear way than you would a neurotypical. Unless you've had your kid climb up your body like a wet cat because of a totally normal (but loud or high pitched) noise or refuse to enter a room (and showing real terror) because it has a high ceiling, etc it can be a little hard to get your head around.
    That's a good point, too. Basically it's a different wiring in the brain and it can be helpful to know that, whether you're the person with autism (so you know yourself better and can build in safety nets for yourself) or you love someone with autism (so you know what to expect and how to interface).

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

With autistics, it can help to be aware of their sensory stuff. Like they might not want a hug or to try new foods or a loud, enthusiastic greeting. You may need to tell them things in a more literal and/or clear way than you would a neurotypical. Unless you've had your kid climb up your body like a wet cat because of a totally normal (but loud or high pitched) noise or refuse to enter a room (and showing real terror) because it has a high ceiling, etc it can be a little hard to get your head around.
    Thats a good point. Idk if that was addressed to me, but based on what you said, my post sounds dumb. Lol. I would be very concerned if that was my kid.

Idk, I just get the impression that there are some cases where its not as bad as people make it out to be. Im sure im wrong. Either way, I just wanted to put it out there. I say the stuff that I say so that I can learn why Im wrong.

MBTI
    yupp

I doubt I have autism, I just tend to be extremely literal and at times it puts the delusion in well maybe. But I don't, I'm just silly.

I was told to stop being literal after this guy said
    "it would suck to be a giraffe with a sore throat"
    and i went "yeah because your neck would be over half your body, and pain spread out that much would suck"
    "You delved to deep into that, it was a joke"

I don't get the joke.

I can figure out metaphors and stuff like that, I'm just slow in doing so. First thing my mind goes to is the literal interpretation and so many times people have told me it's a joke or that's not what that means. I have gotten better at spotting sarcasm though.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by collierm48 View Post
    Thats a good point. Idk if that was addressed to me, but based on what you said, my post sounds dumb. Lol. I would be very concerned if that was my kid.

Idk, I just get the impression that there are some cases where its not as bad as people make it out to be. Im sure im wrong. Either way, I just wanted to put it out there. I say the stuff that I say so that I can learn why Im wrong.
    It really depends a lot on the kid and on the family. I stopped going to autism support groups because so many of the parents were so overwrought about it that they (IMO) were making their kids worse. It got the hell on my nerves. To me, all kids have their quirks and issues. Mine have the quirks and issues associated with being autistic. But my kids are high functioning, which makes it easier. We have mostly just adjusted as we've gone along. They are teenagers now, so there are new challenges. Like, stuff that was just a little strange in a cute six year old is creepy in a gawky fifteen year old guy, etc. Plus, the kid seriously needs to shave, but he has horrible eye/hand coordination so is he going to look like he ran into a glass patio door?

It's really hard to explain. It's not the end of the world and it's usually not tragic or whatever, but it can be hard for everyone involved. But one of the first people to tell me my kids had something 'wrong' with them and that they were probably autistic . . . I was still in denial. She was standing there telling me this stuff and behind her, her kid (who was about my kids' age) was hitting my kid with a plastic light saber over and over again for no reason. Not hard, but just to be irritating. My kid was just kind of ignoring it, doing his thing. It always stuck in my head that if her kid was normal, I'll keep mine, thankyouverymuch!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    yupp

how come my threads go to the 3rd-4th page of the forum then someone bumps it up? why are people looking that far back? if it's not on the first page, not worth my time
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

The doctors told my mom, when me and my siblings were infants/toddlers (too young to remember by the way, did I ever mention I'm the firstborn triplet?). Specifically, her three little musketeers were diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.

After a childhood spent with Mom running after us and doing everything she could to take care of our worst symptoms (mainly our speech patterns), we're now mostly normal. MOSTLY.

My brother still talks to himself at times and flaps his hands. He's a brilliant intellectual though, always asks just the right questions and is very obedient to Mom and Dad. My sister is into dance and music (especially tabla - she teaches younger students now). As for myself... well, I'm not too sure. I'm told by some people that I appear normal, though I do have a few quirks in my personality.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

MBTI
    ISTP

It really depends a lot on the kid and on the family. I stopped going to autism support groups because so many of the parents were so overwrought about it that they (IMO) were making their kids worse. It got the hell on my nerves. To me, all kids have their quirks and issues. Mine have the quirks and issues associated with being autistic. But my kids are high functioning, which makes it easier. We have mostly just adjusted as we've gone along. They are teenagers now, so there are new challenges. Like, stuff that was just a little strange in a cute six year old is creepy in a gawky fifteen year old guy, etc. Plus, the kid seriously needs to shave, but he has horrible eye/hand coordination so is he going to look like he ran into a glass patio door?

It's really hard to explain. It's not the end of the world and it's usually not tragic or whatever, but it can be hard for everyone involved. But one of the first people to tell me my kids had something 'wrong' with them and that they were probably autistic . . . I was still in denial. She was standing there telling me this stuff and behind her, her kid (who was about my kids' age) was hitting my kid with a plastic light saber over and over again for no reason. Not hard, but just to be irritating. My kid was just kind of ignoring it, doing his thing. It always stuck in my head that if her kid was normal, I'll keep mine, thankyouverymuch!

LOL, thats funny. Yeah, when people are total dicks, thats fine, no disorder at all for that.

When I was really young (im talking 0-2) the doctors thought i might be autistic, but then they stopped. I was pretty weird growing up, and I too have always had really bad hand eye coordination.

I really hope that this doesnt come off the wrong way, like I know everything or something, but I think I MAY be able to mention some small things to you to help your son as he goes into young adulthood. Like i said, I was never autistic, but I was uncoordinated and awkward and had some stuff to overcome.

If u are interested pm me. I probably cant help much. And you probably already know the stuff that i can tell you. I just feel inclined to try and help, because i think that maybe i can a little bit. Just lemme know, if not i totally understand.

MBTI
    yupp

LOL, thats funny. Yeah, when people are total dicks, thats fine, no disorder at all for that.

When I was really young (im talking 0-2) the doctors thought i might be autistic, but then they stopped. I was pretty weird growing up, and I too have always had really bad hand eye coordination.

I really hope that this doesnt come off the wrong way, like I know everything or something, but I think I MAY be able to mention some small things to you to help your son as he goes through adolesesce. Like i said, I was never autistic, but I was uncoordinated and awkward and had some stuff to overcome.

If u are interested pm me. I probably cant help much. And you probably already know the stuff that i can tell you. I just feel inclined to try and help, because i think that maybe i can a little bit. Just lemme know, if not i totally understand.
    I had a lot of developmental and coordination problems growing up. and I also was assessed for autism.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I had a lot of developmental and coordination problems growing up. and I also was assessed for autism.
    Developmentally I wasnt bad. I think alot of the reason is that Im a huge kid, and Im good looking.

Crass I know, but i think that kept people from messing with me. If i were small and maybe a little ugly, i wouldve been picked on all the time. Was never picked on. I always had some of the worst handwriting in the class, like LITERALLY the worst. Not one of those people who couldnt excel in art class so they consider their hand writing bad, im talking WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU FUCKIN DOING BRO bad. but, i was able to make it through without standing out and being noticed, I think because of both the help of my family and because of the way that I looked. Idk, just my opinion.

MBTI
    yupp

Developmentally I wasnt bad. I think alot of the reason is that Im a huge kid, and Im good looking.

Crass I know, but i think that kept people from messing with me. If i were small and maybe a little ugly, i wouldve been picked on all the time. Was never picked on. I always had some of the worst handwriting in the class, like LITERALLY the worst. Not one of those people who couldnt excel in art class so they consider their hand writing bad, im talking WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU FUCKIN DOING BRO bad. but, i was able to make it through without standing out and being noticed, I think because of both the help of my family and because of the way that I looked. Idk, just my opinion.
    I mean in terms of walking, talking, dressing, ect I was behind in

I didn't walk til 2.5 didn't talk til around the same time, and this is kinda embarrassing but couldn't dress myself til end of 1st grade because buttons. I walked with out bending my knees until i was around 5 or 6

I think if I had been born 4 years later I would've been dxed with a pdd, honestly, but I don't know for sure.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all