User Tag List

View Poll Results: How were you diagnosed?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Professional

6 85.71%
  • self/friends/family

1 14.29%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    Doctors told my family that I probably had it, and so I got stuck in a preschool for lil' kids with all sorts of mental problems.

Doctors weren't very good back then. Turned out that I didn't have autism, of course. Still, I had the label before it was cool.
    me too, except not because of autism.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

When I was 13, they said I wouldn't finish high school and that I would sweep floors for a living. If any thing.

I showed them. Haha!

MBTI
    yupp

When I was a kid like really young I didn't interact with people, my mom said when I was little I would stare at people like I was studying them, but I loved being held I insisted my mom carried me everywhere until I was 7 I was tiny. Finally my mom said that she wouldn't do that anymore. I was terrible at making eye contact it's hard to find a pic of me under 8 where I'm actually looking at the camera. I didn't talk til I was 2.5 and didn't walk til around that time. I wouldn't communicate ny talking I would just point. I didn't really get how to act socially, I've always been behind my peers in that. I would watch the wizard of oz on repeat everyday from 4 until I started first grade though I think stuff like that would be true for a neurotypical.my dad watched dr who every week and I would sit there and stare at the tv the whole episode.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Within a 10 year span children on the spectrum went from 1 in 1500 to 1 in 150. What better time than to expand the label? If I say to you to take 10 different supplements to relieve some symptoms. why not try them all at once so we can see which ones work?! yeah! so why not see what or who should be held accountable for the increase in this genetic predisposition to be sensitive to environmental insult resulting in the multifaceted disorder on the spectrum ... isn't that super?! So, we know the numbers went up exponentially so why not expand the label insanely ambiguously to promote acceptance and then isolate all those it effects to the point of not being able to acclimate within society. that's it! Why not .. we spend all our energy show casing all the really high functioning children and adults, make is "chic" and trendy and make some money off of it! yeah! then we can make more job openings to help with the large amount of children who have this condition. And then, when our nation starts to recover from the baby boomers eating up the economy, we can then funnel it to support all the disabled adults with no where to live because we decided to cut some corners every year from the elderly and disabled. ya know, they won't miss it! because we shadow them with the trendy autism speaker faces of bullshit we tromp about on mtv. isn't that clever and smart ?! omg. humans are so smart. we should all fan ourselves for how awesome we are and buy more stuff.
    6w7 Sx/Sp (621 or 612. Same diff :p).

Banned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    Everybody is on the spectrum nowadays. Quite ridiculous really.

As @Lyedecker mentioned, the functions explains way more. So many ISTJs, INTJs and INTPs with some INFPs on the list get diagnosed as PPD-NOS/Aspergers... which makes me think the whole thing is fishy.
    Every ExTx can be diagnosed with Narcissistic personality disorder.
    Every ExxP with ADHD
    Every IxFx with Social Anxiety
    Every IxTx with Psychopathy
    Every ExFx with Exhibitionism

Its all BS

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I wasn't ever DXed with social anxiety. Bipolar, ADHD, maybe OCD, but not social anxiety.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

My psychiatrist determined that I most likely have what was then known as Aspergers Syndrome during therapy for OCD.

Explains a lot about my childhood, but its among the least of my problems as an adult with severe OCD.

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Honestly, I know that my opinion is probly totally wrong, and that no one careswhat i think, but unless your condition is disabling you, or affecting those around you, you should avoid labels as much as possible. Be the best person you can be. You or your dads might be weird and really akward, hell, im pretty akward at times myself, but think of all the people that are painfully ignorant, mentally abusive to others, are utterly parasitic to society and have no notion that they are doing anything wrong what so ever.

Really, If you are looking into this because you think it might help improve the life of people around you, good. But dont worry about petty conditions like this if someone is doing okay. Just help them like you would any other friend in a tough situation, but the worst thing that you can do is look at them differently or label them. Thats just the worst possible thing. Im sorry, but thats MO.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

With autistics, it can help to be aware of their sensory stuff. Like they might not want a hug or to try new foods or a loud, enthusiastic greeting. You may need to tell them things in a more literal and/or clear way than you would a neurotypical. Unless you've had your kid climb up your body like a wet cat because of a totally normal (but loud or high pitched) noise or refuse to enter a room (and showing real terror) because it has a high ceiling, etc it can be a little hard to get your head around.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I tend to agree, collierm48. I think labels can be helpful if people need help- as I've mentioned in similar threads before, my son has been dx'ed with autism, and the label helps him because he gets services through school because of it and they've been very good for him. But we don't really focus on it much on a day-to-day basis- it's just a different way some people's brains work, and requires some tweaks to how we do things, but other than that, he's just himself. During the process of getting him diagnosed the psychiatrists said that my husband is probably also on the spectrum, but like @cafe says, he has a good job and a family and there would be no benefit to seeking that label officially. It wouldn't do anything for him at this point. But for those who are struggling, maybe it would help to have some insight into what they could be doing differently.