User Tag List

View Poll Results: How were you diagnosed?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Professional

6 85.71%
  • self/friends/family

1 14.29%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

I don't think it's a make believe disorder, but I think autism and asperger's became the trendy disorder in the last 10 to 15 years. Autism diagnoses are handed out like candy.

Before that it was ADD and ADHD that were the trendy disorders, which, incidentally, I was diagnosed with in 2002.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I did the lining things up as a kid, I don't know if I actually lined stuff up or if I looked like I was (I don't remember). my mom only allowed PBS but I do remember organizing my dolls on my bed and my mom described me as methodical, introverted, logical, and imaginative. and I would watch tv, but I was a pacer always have been I find it relaxes me the more I have going on the more I pace.
    You might be classified as autistic or you might not. It's fairly subjective and there is still so much they really don't have any idea about.

A diagnosis is good if it helps you get help, like some social coaching or ideas for how to deal with sensory issues or help/support with school/employment or a check from the government.

For little ones, early intervention can be developmentally helpful. But for older kids and adults, it's mostly about improving the ability to interface and function in one's environment.

We all kind of have our quirks and we mostly just have to figure out how to make them work or how to work around them.

that's possible, but I don't think it do any good for him to go to a professional he has heart failure and probably be dead before anything happened. plus he's against therapists. my mom's been trying to get him to go for years
    Yeah, he's probably very set in his ways at this point and it's not worth stressing him if everyone has been living with it all this time anyway.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedecker View Post
    I don't think it's a make believe disorder, but I think autism and asperger's became the trendy disorder in the last 10 to 15 years. Autism diagnoses are handed out like candy.

Before that it was ADD and ADHD that were the trendy disorders, which, incidentally, I was diagnosed with in 2002.
    I agree on Aspergers being a trendy disorder. When high-functioning, it can easily be confused with social anxiety, Avoidant PD, and OCD. When I first looked at the disorder, I grew suspicious of myself having the disorder. Now I realize that it's probably just social anxiety.

In my own opinion, I don't really think High-Functioning Aspies are actually aspies at all, but just overly mis-diagnosed because they have co-morbidity with Cluster C: OCD, Avoidant PD, and Dependent PD. I think that those combinations combined in an HSP would look almost the exact same as Aspergers from the outside but wouldn't have the cognitive impairments.

MBTI
    yupp

more people, answer please. thank you. I want to know.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedecker View Post

Maybe sometimes people who are just really IxTx get diagnosed sometimes. Autism can be pretty severe though so I'd agree. There are habits they go through, and they have been shown to have a disconnect between sight and hearing which can be a perturbation.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Sometimes it's a mixture purplz, also weather you think an official diagnosis will help or hinder. Some people find they dislike the label others find it a useful tool in accessing resources.

I first noticed differences in behaviour perception and communication with my daughter when she was two years old, we went through the diagnosis route with professionals and I am glad of that because it helped us access a lot of educational professionals etc.

I think as an adult it should be your choice weather you would like an assessment.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Sometimes it's a mixture purplz, also weather you think an official diagnosis will help or hinder. Some people find they dislike the label others find it a useful tool in accessing resources.

I first noticed differences in behaviour perception and communication with my daughter when she was two years old, we went through the diagnosis route with professionals and I am glad of that because it helped us access a lot of educational professionals etc.

I think as an adult it should be your choice weather you would like an assessment.
    I don't think I have it, I just wanted to know about others. because I'm curious. It was ruled out when I was around 3 or 4. I did have developmental delays and trouble with school and social things and my fine motor (still do) so I got lots of help with those things such as physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

I don't think I have it, I just wanted to know about others. because I'm curious. It was ruled out when I was around 3 or 4. I did have developmental delays and trouble with school and social things and my fine motor (still do) so I got lots of help with those things such as physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy.
    My son has autism and was diagnosed at 18 months. You say it was ruled out about 3-4. Aspergers (a form of autism) isn't diagnosed until the ages of 5-7. There is also PDD (pervasive developmental disorder) which might not have been as diagnosed as often when you were young. Depending on your situation now as an adult, I say try not to worry about it.

But if you're interested in learning more, there's a plethora of information out there. Some of which provide questionnaires to see if it's something that should be of concern.
    6w7 Sx/Sp (621 or 612. Same diff :p).

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by NK258 View Post
    My son has autism and was diagnosed at 18 months. You say it was ruled out about 3-4. Aspergers (a form of autism) isn't diagnosed until the ages of 5-7. There is also PDD (pervasive developmental disorder) which might not have been as diagnosed as often when you were young. Depending on your situation now as an adult, I say try not to worry about it.

But if you're interested in learning more, there's a plethora of information out there. Some of which provide questionnaires to see if it's something that should be of concern.
    I took a quiz said I was 80% risk of being on the spectrum, but it's also the internet. http://adultautism.us/atrisk/ but I don't think I'm too bad off, I just don't do well socially which I never have. I just find it interesting is the people I have related to the most in my life have all been on the spectrum. And I probably am not on the spectrum.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

garbage

Doctors told my family that I probably had it, and so I got stuck in a preschool for lil' kids with all sorts of mental problems.

Doctors weren't very good back then. Turned out that I didn't have autism, of course. Still, I had the label before it was cool.

(I did have another mental disorder, but it didn't surface for another 15 years and went undetected for a long time after that. Doctors )