User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Toxic Te/Fi Epidemic in Contemporary America

729 sx/sp
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Unfortunately I feel like it is probably really more of a "greed" cog than anything.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

The Dark Lord Array The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    6w7 sp/so
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Hm. Yes, I do think there is some merit to the idea of overriding Te but I think it's also fairly multifaceted - it's not just overriding Te, it's also e3-ish narcissism and productivity focus and e8-ish power and influence focus. To some extent I think it ends up being this way because those are the attributes that push externally the hardest. The rest aren't as interested in surface control. I do agree that the best world results from a balance.

I am in agreement that there has been too much focus on end product, the education system is a mess with its insane focus on tests and shunting students down rigid, labeled pathways, and big business. However, I do not think that all of this is attributable to Te culture, and unfortunately I feel like I fall more on your side of things, @anticlimatic - I am typically at a loss in a results-oriented, external structure, logistical world, too.

On the brighter side, I know plenty of FPs and TJs who are huge supporters and some even owners of small/local businesses. I certainly support small business myself and find large corporations distasteful. I am also surprised by the linking of Facebook and Fi; it seems to me that it can be used either in a very Fi or a very Fe way, depending on the person. I am a sorority member and we use Facebook to encourage group support, engagement, and positivity, which I see as very Fe.

Personally I was also born, raised, and now live in the American South, which is very Fe in culture, and the rest of my family is on Long Island in NY, where the culture is very Te. There is no way I can really agree that American culture is very dominantly Te/Fi, not where I live and the surrounding states. Southern culture is very rooted in Fe principles and still largely operates on them. And of course we are not a dominant power in the country, but I do think it has long been a bastion for those sorts of principles, and is unlikely to change anytime soon, so even if the country is in a Te-Fi phase, I think plenty Fe-Ti is preserved in much of Southern culture.

Also - "Networking" and "it's not what you know but who you know" strike me as notably Fe, as well, and those are common sentiments I hear echoed from friends and acquaintances from across the country. So, there are still some strong Fe holds in the country. I think it is Ti more than Fe/Ti that is struggling.

I would be interested to hear suggestions for improvement in overly-Te-heavy industries.

Yes, I third this.
    I LIVE IN THE SOUTH AS WELL. It is very Fe...
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan