• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The question is still open as to whether Superunkown is pretending to be one of the guys or pretending to be one of the gays.

entpersonal

We just had a long discussion about this sort of thing in my "Why I'm bitter and or cynical thread." I concluded that to try to fit in is ultimately a waste of time and should be kept to a minimum so that it doesn't interfere with principles. Your true self is buried underneath somewhere. Spend your time paying too much attention to how others perceive you and you forget who you actually are.

Are you sure you're not an INFP?

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
The whole "true self" thing is emblematic of Fi.

And the fact that I just cleaned my apartment is emblematic of SJ. Can't really look at 1 thing and assume you know someone's type. Especially when they've been sure of it for like 7 years now lol.

entpersonal

And the fact that I just cleaned my apartment is emblematic of SJ. Can't really look at 1 thing and assume you know someone's type. Especially when they've been sure of it for like 7 years now lol.

I've just never heard an INTP talk about his or her true self before. Also, INFPs have Si. :)

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I've just never heard an INTP talk about his or her true self before. Also, INFPs have Si. :)

That kind of thing is not particularly related to type, IMO, so much as it is the universal struggle for acceptance. Like in the OP, at a certain point you consciously realize you either have the option to try to fit in or to be yourself at the risk of rejection from society. This is not related to type, any type can go through it, but you're more likely to go through it if you're more outside the norm.

Reminds me of this video... just thought it was funny for the first minute or 2:

Oh and INTPs have Si.

entpersonal

That kind of thing is not particularly related to type, IMO, so much as it is the universal struggle for acceptance. Like in the OP, at a certain point you consciously realize you either have the option to try to fit in or to be yourself at the risk of rejection from society. This is not related to type, any type can go through it, but you're more likely to go through it if you're more outside the norm.

Reminds me of this video... just thought it was funny for the first minute or 2:

Oh and INTPs have Si.

Fi - genuine, true to self, sincere. Fi would actually be more proverbially concerned with self-devopment than Fe.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The whole "true self" thing is emblematic of Fi.
Both correct. Whatever your inherent type, you will sometimes behave like other types: perhaps SFJ when you go on a cleaning spree, or NFP when you are focused on soul-searching. Someone who sees you only or primarily during these activities may erroneously conclude this is your actual type.

An interesting perspective on this comes from Ross Reinhold at personalitypathways:

By the way, in my personal relationships, I no longer try to guess a person's type or even their type letters. I attempt to follow a pragmatic approach that I understand Judy Allen (Health Care Communication Using Personality Type) advocates: speak to whatever preference seems to be operating at the time - while reminding yourself this may not reflect the person's type. In a health care setting, there is great value in this "deal with what is presented" approach versus trying to figure out what is another's type. For stress, anxiety, and a variety of circumstances can cause a person to act differently in a health care setting and thus cloak their normal personality expression. Yet figuring out another's type is damn hard to do anyway so in my book it boils down to knowing thyself, what are my blindspots, and expanding my ability to talk and understand in many different languages of type expression.

Not only does he recognize these temporary type manifestations, but he advocates responding to what is visible in a particular interaction, knowing it may not be the inherent type, rather than trying to guess what a person's type really is.

entpersonal

Both correct. Whatever your inherent type, you will sometimes behave like other types: perhaps SFJ when you go on a cleaning spree, or NFP when you are focused on soul-searching. Someone who sees you only or primarily during these activities may erroneously conclude this is your actual type.

An interesting perspective on this comes from Ross Reinhold at personalitypathways:

Not only does he recognize these temporary type manifestations, but he advocates responding to what is visible in a particular interaction, knowing it may not be the inherent type, rather than trying to guess what a person's type really is.

I would suggest anyone look at the "big picture" of how they normally are and square that with Keirsey temperaments for starters.

á´…eparted

passages
Can't really look at 1 thing and assume you know someone's type. Especially when they've been sure of it for like 7 years now lol.

While the first is obvious, I'll just say that I thought I was an INFJ for about 9 years. Turns out that's very likely wrong. So, it can happen.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Enneagram 1 is plain as day though

á´…eparted

passages
Enneagram 1 is plain as day though

You're preaching to the choir buddy :alttongue:. Sometimes I feel like a caricature of a 1 because nearly all of my core issues and vices fall under that. I've also noticed that 1's in general tend to show it fairly strongly by the nature of what it means. You can also say parallel things about 8's.

Interestingly, I thought I was a 5 up until I was about 20. Then a friend on another forum a while back said "nope, you're one". I actually looked at it and everything suddenly was clear.