User Tag List

123 Last

Default Women's Talk and Men's Talk

By and large women enjoy talking with each other. This is because women talk to make each other feel better.

And by and large men talk about reality.

And this explains why, by and large, women don't like talking to men so much. And this is because women want talk to make them feel better not to relate to reality.

And women try to teach men to talk in such a way as to make them feel better. But men are pretty hopeless at this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

where are the feminists when we need them

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    where are the feminists when we need them
    Meh - I'm siding with the guys on this one.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AngelLight2012 View Post
    Meh - I'm siding with the guys on this one.
    I think there is much to be said for both kinds of talk.

It's plain that in a prosperous society men can now afford talk that makes us feel better.

In prosperous societies we no longer have to worry about survival so we can start to practise the arts of prosperity.

And one of the great arts of prosperity is conversation. And one of the benefits of good conversation is that it makes us feel better.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Talk is cheap.
    Actions speak louder than words.

<*drops the microphone*>
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    By and large women enjoy talking with each other. This is because women talk to make each other feel better.

And by and large men talk about reality.

And this explains why, by and large, women don't like talking to men so much. And this is because women want talk to make them feel better not to relate to reality.

And women try to teach men to talk in such a way as to make them feel better. But men are pretty hopeless at this.
    IIRC, and it has been a while, men do indeed talk about more concrete things than women do, at least starting in University. Cause unknown, but it is like to be social conditioning. In terms of emotional support and such, it is also primarily social conditioning. It's not a question of ability and there is a huge overlap between the two. In any case, the social effect on communication is much larger with men than women (YMMV, Western world). It's not like one talks more than the other, it's just that men are told to not express a part of themselves.

(OTOH, women have to be careful what they express too... our society is still very sensitive to strong women.)

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    IIRC, and it has been a while, men do indeed talk about more concrete things than women do, at least starting in University. Cause unknown, but it is like to be social conditioning. In terms of emotional support and such, it is also primarily social conditioning. It's not a question of ability and there is a huge overlap between the two. In any case, the social effect on communication is much larger with men than women (YMMV, Western world). It's not like one talks more than the other, it's just that men are told to not express a part of themselves.

(OTOH, women have to be careful what they express too... our society is still very sensitive to strong women.)
    Yes, this is true.

In societies struggling to survive men and women must be limited in what we say in the interests of survival.

However in prosperous societies we are learning the arts of prosperity.

We started in 1946 at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in their National Training Laboratory (NTL) with the first Encounter Group, where just after the horror of WW II we started to learn the art of conversation and encounter one another as persons rather than parts of a military machine.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

there's a lot of research on gender and discourse in the field of sociolinguistics.
    i haven't gone too deep into that area, because it's less interesting to me. but i had a professor who was all about it.

found this huge ass article that seems pretty inclusive, though. and i recognize a few of the names from when i studied it. poke around it at your leisure if you care to. http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/5593953...er.pdf#page=37
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Default Converstion and Verse

Interestingly con-verse, as in con-vers-ation, means the sharing of verse.

And as we move into the conversational society, we are starting to return to our roots in the spoken culture, which interestingly enough spoke in verse.

For 200,000 years we lived in a spoken culture, but only in the last 100 years in properous countries have we lived in countries of universal literacy.

But as I write we are moving from literacy to the electronic culture which in many respects is like the old spoken culture. And so we rediscover conversation. And as we become better conversationlists, we shall learn to make each other feel better and speak in verse.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Talk is cheap.
    Actions speak louder than words.
    This is the dictum of the survival society.

Thriving societies practise the arts of conversation.