User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I think there is much to be said for both kinds of talk.

It's plain that in a prosperous society men can now afford talk that makes us feel better.

In prosperous societies we no longer have to worry about survival so we can start to practise the arts of prosperity.

[b]And one of the great arts of prosperity is conversation. And one of the benefits of good conversation is that it makes us feel better.[b]
    Frivolous, empty, gossipy conversation - in short, conversation mostly associated with women - is neither artistic nor satisfying, and makes me feel I have landed in Stepford. If prosperity means our conversation deteriorates to drivel, perhaps we need to take on more challenges and leave our complacency behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Talk is cheap.
    Actions speak louder than words.
    Absolutely.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Frivolous, empty, gossipy conversation - in short, conversation mostly associated with women - is neither artistic nor satisfying, and makes me feel I have landed in Stepford. If prosperity means our conversation deteriorates to drivel, perhaps we need to take on more challenges and leave our complacency behind.

Absolutely.
    This is extraordinarily sexist, and from a moderator who is at best ambivalent at stopping emotional abuse.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

By and large women enjoy talking with each other. This is because women talk to make each other feel better.

And by and large men talk about reality.]
    WTF?!

You have quite the way with words... but I suppose we already all knew this. I'm going to assume you mean men talk about extraneous details, whereas women tend to talk more about relationships/people?

I've been to enough guy circles where the talk is about sports, or favorite TV shows, or personal hobbies, etc. And girl circles where the talk is about who is doing what and how they are relating to whom. But I also find enough solid men and women who talk about more substantial matters as well... to the degree I do not think of it in terms of gender but in terms of content of conversation with people I like.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This is extraordinarily sexist, and from a moderator who is at best ambivalent at stopping emotional abuse.
    It is sexist, but not in the way you imply. As other members have mentioned, women have been raised for generations to converse in this manner. It is no wonder therefore that this communication style is exhibited primarily by women. That is just an observation of fact. Abusing women (or men) emotionally or otherwise when they depart from these traditional patterns is what is sexist, hurtful, and wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I've been to enough guy circles where the talk is about sports, or favorite TV shows, or personal hobbies, etc. And girl circles where the talk is about who is doing what and how they are relating to whom. But I also find enough solid men and women who talk about more substantial matters as well... to the degree I do not think of it in terms of gender but in terms of content of conversation with people I like.
    I agree, especially in principle. And I have no more patience with men's sports, TV, or car talk than with women's housekeeping, kids, beauty tips, and gossip talk. I, too, find both men and women who are interested in the kind of substantive conversation I prefer, but the men significantly outnumber the women, at least IRL.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

It is sexist, but not in the way you imply. As other members have mentioned, women have been raised for generations to converse in this manner. It is no wonder therefore that this communication style is exhibited primarily by women. That is just an observation of fact. Abusing women (or men) emotionally or otherwise when they depart from these traditional patterns is what is sexist, hurtful, and wrong.
    At the end of WW II we started to create prosperous societies based on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And right from the very beginning, in 1946 at MIT, we set about learning and practising the arts of conversation.

This very site, Typology Central, is based upon good conversation.

So what we need are moderators committed to engendering good conversation.

And I don't have any confidence that you want to engender good conversation.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I agree, especially in principle. And I have no more patience with men's sports, TV, or car talk than with women's housekeeping, kids, beauty tips, and gossip talk. I, too, find both men and women who are interested in the kind of substantive conversation I prefer, but the men significantly outnumber the women, at least IRL.
    That's too bad. Actually, in my life currently, the women are the ones who have their heads more together than the guys, but I guess it can vary depending on environment.

*reads rest of thread*

Oh god, I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe. My neighbors probably wonder what's wrong with me. Maybe I should get them to join the forum.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

At the end of WW II we started to create prosperous societies based on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And right from the very beginning, in 1946 at MIT, we set about learning and practising the arts of conversation.

This very site, Typology Central, is based upon good conversation.

So what we need are moderators committed to engendering good conversation.

And I don't have any confidence that you want to engender good conversation.
    Someone who believes that the art of good conversation started in 1946 is in no position to judge the conversation quality of others, especially given its inherent subjectivity. Your idea of "good" conversation may be my idea of drivel, and vice versa.

Someone who believes that the art of good conversation started in 1946 is in no position to judge the conversation quality of others, especially given its inherent subjectivity. Your idea of "good" conversation may be my drivel, and vice versa.
    For quite a while now you have tried to pick a fight with me. This is not suitable behaviour for a moderator.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

For quite a while now you have tried to pick a fight with me. This is not suitable behaviour for a moderator.
    For quite awhile now you have interpreted direct questioning or pointing out flaws in your reasoning as attempting "to pick a fight". This is not suitable behavior for a reasonable person who wants his point of view to be taken seriously.

You have many worthwhile ideas to share, and no cause to feel threatened when others pay them the respect of a thorough consideration, and earnest response.

MBTI
    INTP

OP does have truth to it. There are exceptions to all generalities but this is indeed a source of frustration.