User Tag List

Default Overcoming our own arrogance

Of all the problems I have, my own arrogance is what seems to cause me the most unexpected and thorny problems.

How do I overcome my own arrogance?

If you are arrogant yourself, how do we?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I don't really see you as arrogant..

Thanks.

It may be subtle. But it's there.

Pride.

It narrows my perception, denigrates' others', and raises hopes to unrealistic levels.

I know it's part of me, and I'll never be rid of it. I may even be able to make some good of it. But I want it to stop hurting others or myself.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    yupp

I'm arrogant but it's ok because so is a lot of other people, plus it keeps me going and not give up. even if at times i looks like i've given up, I haven't I'm just carefully planning my next move, which may take years.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Where's the 'like' button for this thread?
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I've found that it helps to start with the little things: asking others for input, recognizing when they know more than you, flat-out telling people "you're right and I'm wrong". That sort of thing. Getting into the habit of not only noticing when other people are better than you at particular things, but pointing it out to them (when appropriate). It makes them happy, which in turn makes you happy, and makes a world of difference in killing your excess pride.

From there, it's a matter of learning your own limitations and checking your ego -- which is of course easier said than done.
    Last edited by EJCC; 01-23-2014 at 12:43 AM. Reason: clarification/caveats
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Of all the problems I have, my own arrogance is what seems to cause me the most unexpected and thorny problems.

Arrogance is usually defined as an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities. The antidote is therefore not humility, but realism. It is OK to think you know alot about something, or are very good at something, or even have an important role in something, when you actually do. It is even OK to say so when that is relevant. Arrogance comes in when the claims are unsupportable, in which case it is either error (if an honest misjudgment), or a lie (if you really do know better).

So, address any tendency to arrogance by learning what your strengths, weaknesses, talents and limitations really are; and then mention it only when relevant to the discussion or situation. This is what I try to do. There are probably people out there who think I am arrogant, just because I have no qualms about asserting myself and my expertise when necessary. These same people are just not there on the occasions when I readily defer to someone else's expertise, or admit my ignorance.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

WALMART

Vigilant among the heedless, watchful among the sleeping, the wise one forges ahead even as a charger outdistances a weak horse. Sorrowless he surveys the sorrowful crowd. This wise man regards the foolish as the mountaineer from his high peak looks at those who are dwelling on the plains.

There is no escaping the condition of existence. Nurture a mindful tongue, observe it as well as your mind observes any.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

Brutal honesty. Be honest with yourself.
    6w7 Sx/Sp (621 or 612. Same diff :p).