You don't say?

Who?

(Feel free to pm/rep me)
    lol, glad we talked about it on vent
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Sinmara View Post
    And there are people on the forum who romanticize the idea of psychopathy and wish they were one and try their best to behave like one, much like children playing dress-up.
    I had a friend who once exclaimed she was a sociopath and for the longest time I thought she just desired to be one. But over the years I began to question it and lean towards her actually being one.

Some people are just so much more "logically minded" with low Fi or Fe that it's really hard to tell. The friend described above is an ESTJ. She's brilliant, but often manipulative and power hungry. I always felt her emotions were feigned. I also know an INTP who swears he thinks he is a sociopath or psychopath. But he's so nice. He keeps explaining he doesn't understand empathy or other people's emotions and processes.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I had a friend who once exclaimed she was a sociopath and for the longest time I thought she just desired to be one. But over the years I began to question it and lean towards her actually being one.

Some people are just so much more "logically minded" with low Fi or Fe that it's really hard to tell. The friend described above is an ESTJ. She's brilliant, but often manipulative and power hungry. I always felt her emotions were feigned. I also know an INTP who swears he thinks he is a sociopath or psychopath. But he's so nice. He keeps explaining he doesn't understand empathy or other people's emotions and processes.
    The bolded are common misconceptions and romanticized stereotypes of psychopathy. Being one doesn't mean you're more logical, or smarter, or emotionally disconnected, or successful (due to cut-throat ambition). Psychopaths are capable of empathy and emotion -- it's how and why they manage to have families in the first place -- but while these things are hard-wired to the "on" position for most people, psychopaths can flip them on and off as it is convenient for them.

The more common truth is they are reckless, they are more willing to take risks that put them or others in the way of physical harm, and they have trouble with impulse control and anger, which is why they are so frequently violent. A psychopath is more likely to be an aggressive person of average-to-low intelligence than he is to be a charming manipulator -- or Dexter Morgan, for that matter. Those are considered high-functioning, in that they've figured out the social rules, they know how to play them game, and they come off as normal. This doesn't mean they're any kinder to their families, they've just managed to stay out of prison.

A person who can't connect with others or understand their mental process is more likely to fall somewhere on the autism spectrum than he is to be a psychopath. And your friend is more likely to have issues with narcissism or apathy than she is to be a psychopath.

If anyone thinks they MIGHT be a psychopath, get thee to a psychiatrist. You can't diagnose yourself. It's just not possible, especially for a psychopath. They think they are perfectly normal. If you think you might be one, you're probably not. Diagnosing yourself for this sort of thing is like trying to examine the inside of your own eyeballs while they're still in your head.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Sinmara View Post
    The bolded are common misconceptions and romanticized stereotypes of psychopathy. Being one doesn't mean you're more logical, or smarter, or emotionally disconnected, or successful (due to cut-throat ambition). Psychopaths are capable of empathy and emotion -- it's how and why they manage to have families in the first place -- but while these things are hard-wired to the "on" position for most people, psychopaths can flip them on and off as it is convenient for them.

The more common truth is they are reckless, they are more willing to take risks that put them or others in the way of physical harm, and they have trouble with impulse control and anger, which is why they are so frequently violent. A psychopath is more likely to be an aggressive person of average-to-low intelligence than he is to be a charming manipulator -- or Dexter Morgan, for that matter. Those are considered high-functioning, in that they've figured out the social rules, they know how to play them game, and they come off as normal. This doesn't mean they're any kinder to their families, they've just managed to stay out of prison.

A person who can't connect with others or understand their mental process is more likely to fall somewhere on the autism spectrum than he is to be a psychopath. And your friend is more likely to have issues with narcissism or apathy than she is to be a psychopath.

If anyone thinks they MIGHT be a psychopath, get thee to a psychiatrist. You can't diagnose yourself. It's just not possible, especially for a psychopath. They think they are perfectly normal. If you think you might be one, you're probably not. Diagnosing yourself for this sort of thing is like trying to examine the inside of your own eyeballs while they're still in your head.
    Thanks for the input. I've been trying to learn more about sociopaths and psychopaths considering having two friends who believe their self to be one. The female ESTJ claims she was diagnosed while in high school for being a sociopath. (Not psychopath. My fault for bringing sociopath into the mix.) But her claims and stories, I've learned, are not always based in facts. Over many years, I began to see her as a high functioning sociopath.

Other friends believe the INTP friend of mine may actually have aspergers. I'm not certain of him being a psychopath/sociopath or having autism/aspergers. I think you're right about the narcissism and apathy.

In addition to those two, I also wondered if one or two of my exes may have been psychopaths or sociopaths. The way you described psychopaths, I think this one is more likely. But I fear I've talked about this on this forum before.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

The difference between sociopathy and psycho pathy is just cosmetic. People like to refer to high-functioning individuals with antisocial personality disorder as sociopaths and low-functioning or dangerous individuals as psychopaths. It's the same thing.

Some also like to refer to those who are genetically APD as psychopaths and those who are APR due to circumstance or upbringing sociopaths. However you get there, it's still the same thing. Those who are psychopaths of circumstance are just more likely to respond to corrective therapy.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.