2 12.50%
  • Gotten shorter

10 62.50%
  • Stayed the same

4 25.00%
123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default how has your attention span changed as you've gotten older?

like has it gotten greater, stayed the same, worse. and is there anything you can might possibly attribute it to? I mean overall, don't say blah blah well if i'm doing x my attention span is epic but when i'm doing y i have no attention span. It's the overarching attention span, not the specific one
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    like has it gotten greater, stayed the same, worse. and is there anything you can might possibly attribute it to? I mean overall, don't say blah blah well if i'm doing x my attention span is epic but when i'm doing y i have no attention span. It's the overarching attention span, not the specific one
    I have ADHD, so my attention span has been short for my entire life.
    It wasn't until my early thirties that I was diagnosed and began taking medication and going to counseling.
    Apparently a number of people tried to tell me for years that I had it, but I honestly had not idea what it was, and simply didn't get it.
    The medication made a HUGE difference right away, which I was very thankful for.
    Counseling took 4 to 6 months to really make me realize that there were behavioral elements of mine that were affected by ADHD, but that I had control over if I was aware of them, and put effort into managing them on an on-going basis.

So, yeah, my attention span sucks and always has - but I've accepted it and am treating it constructively and everything is cool now.
    I'm going to go ride my bicycle now. Later!

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

garbage

It's still good, but it's been declining a bit as I've been relaxing in life in general. I kept my attention span up in the first place because I was afraid of failing exams etc. if I didn't. I've realized that I don't have to pay attention to everything, all the time; but I could stand to relearn a little bit more of the 'attention' thing.

I can get into "the flow," for sure, where I'm zoned in on one thing. But I also have an inconsistent energy level, so that flow may last for hours or for a few minutes.

MBTI
    yupp

I think I have a shorter one, though recently I started taking a class and I live with 7 people and so there's only certain times that I can get stuff done and I fine I can actually get what need to in the times no one is around, which isn't often. And also because I haven't written a lot in years my hand cramps up after 10-15 minutes to the point that i have to stop and take a break.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    It's still good, but it's been declining a bit as I've been relaxing in life in general. I kept my attention span up in the first place because I was afraid of failing exams etc. if I didn't. I've realized that I don't have to pay attention to everything, all the time; but I could stand to relearn a little bit more of the 'attention' thing.
    Yep, this happened to me, too. Even though, when my life is "busier" my attention span will generally grow, too.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think mine has gotten shorter. I've gotten so used to bouncing around on the internet, never really having to work to get information, never having to be bored that I have no patiences with delayed gratification. I've put a bunch of favorite books on my phone so I can't ever be trapped someplace with nothing fun to read.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

I feel as though I have become more discerning as I've aged. I'm better at filtering out things that are or would have been a waste of my time. From the outside looking in it probably manifests itself in the same way as a reduced attention span.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I feel as though I have become more discerning as I've aged. I'm better at filtering out things that are or would have been a waste of my time. From the outside looking in it probably manifests itself in the same way as a reduced attention span.
    perhaps this is true for me aswell, all though I still can't block out extraneous noise.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Enneagram

Mine has gotten longer, but I guess I'm only 23, so it's not hard to be more focused than when you were in your late teens. I had difficulty doing the readings in high school, because I couldn't focus at all, so I started forcing myself to constantly read and it has helped a lot.

I have also gotten slightly better at forcing my brain to focus on tasks that I find boring (work stuff, listening to boring people, technical writing, organizing my environment, etc), but it's still hard for me not to visit Neverland when confronted by tedium.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Mine has gotten longer, but I guess I'm only 23, so it's not hard to be more focused than when you were in your late teens. I had difficulty doing the readings in high school, because I couldn't focus at all, so I started forcing myself to constantly read and it has helped a lot.

I have also gotten slightly better at forcing my brain to focus on tasks that I find boring (work stuff, listening to boring people, technical writing, organizing my environment, etc), but it's still hard for me not to visit Neverland when confronted by tedium.
    the opposite happened to me, when I was younger I could read for hours, now i'm lucky if I read a whole page without wandering off to go do something completely different.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all