• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How old were you when you learned to read?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
and what methods were used?

I was thinking about this and how I was a late reader, despite not being dyslexic nor having any other reading disability. I didn't learn until I was around 7 and a half. And it's interesting because my brother who's 2 and half years older was the one who taught me, And he simply told me to sound it out and showed me how to. No one had ever told me to do that before, and I picked it up really fast. Maybe they did and I wasn't paying attention. But no wonder I didn't start reading til late no one had ever just simply said "sound it out" I had memorized books around 5 or 6 and would say I was reading but the thing is i'd stay on the first page and just recite. Of course once I learned cuz it took awhile compared to my peers, I would read every billboard we passed, because I was so proud

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Around 6-7 years old. Some psychometrics claim that the age when an individual learns to read is a sign of intelligence.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:D that's so cute purp! I remember trying to teach my little sisters how to read and other things when we were younger. Dyslexia can really make it tough to learn to read so 7 is impressive. I love when kids proudly read things around them. One of the cutest things in the world. I read pretty early, but was never good at spatial reasoning (still a weakness).

Edit: methods? Oh man I really don't remember. I was reading before school so I'm pretty sure it was my mom who did most of it. She's not a teacher so who knows what she did lol.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
:D that's so cute purp! I remember trying to teach my little sisters how to read and other things when we were younger. Dyslexia can really make it tough to learn to read so 7 is impressive. I love when kids proudly read things around them. One of the cutest things in the world. I read pretty early, but was never good at spatial reasoning (still a weakness).

Edit: methods? Oh man I really don't remember. I was reading before school so I'm pretty sure it was my mom who did most of it. She's not a teacher so who knows what she did lol.

wait i said i wasn't dyslexic, or are you saying your sister was?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
5. I was in the bluebird group for advanced readers in first grade. When the teacher took me aside to tell me I was being placed in another group, I thought I'd done something wrong and was in trouble.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't clearly remember when I learnt to read (I think it was in my reception year in school) but I remember a consciousness of 'I can read anything now' when I learnt to read. I felt powerful with a great sense of accomplishment to be able to read.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My son has just started to read. He recognizes the letters in words and forms the sounds as he sees them. The other day he pointed out the word CAT to me. :) It's fun to watch him get so excited about learning an ability most adults take for granted.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
6. It happened over summer before I started first grade somehow. Nobody had really gotten around to teach me officially how to read by that point.

Alea_iacta_est

I don't remember how old I was, but I remember that I actually learned how to somewhat read before anyone found it. My parents tried to do this thing where they would put subtitles on all of the shows I watched. Now imagine an associative synesthete with a highly associative memory watching the TV with subtitles. I understood almost every word spoken after about the 5th or 6th episodes (from matching the sound bytes to the word), but everyone still thought that I didn't know how to read until about 2-3 years later or something of the sort.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I learned to read probably in first grade, so about six.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm not sure exactly but I know it was prior to kindergarten so maybe 4.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know. I could read simple words in preschool but I didn't start reading full sentences until kindergarten.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dyslexia can really make it tough to learn to read so 7 is impressive. I love when kids proudly read things around them. One of the cutest things in the world. I read pretty early, but was never good at spatial reasoning (still a weakness).

Yes it can. :( [MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION] you're a SLP, right? My oldest has dyslexia and had to be taught phonemic awareness thru LiPS...slow and painstaking. Reading still isn't easy or fluid for him. My daughter had similar problems but from auditory processing disorder so she had a lot of trouble with sound/symbol relationships. She finally got it. Next son has problem as well so it is a familial thing...too early to see how things will turn out for him. The last one doesn't seem to have any issues and is picking up reading by sitting in with his older brother.

I can't remember when I learned to read. Maybe 5 or 6? I remember it being difficult and the it finally "clicking".

93JC

I was taught to read by "sounding it out" too. I learned the alphabet, then learned which sounds were made with each letter, then learned phonemes (the sounds 'th', 'ph', 'ei', etc. make), and eventually I could read without having to think about sounding things out. To be honest I don't remember a time when I didn't know how to read English. If I had to hazard a guess I would say I was close to having finished or had already finished the "sounding things out" stage by the time I started kindergarten; I was four years old.

I do remember learning how to read French though. The French alphabet is the same as the English one so I can't remember a time when I didn't know it, but I remember the "sounding things out" stage of reading in French when I was 5-6 years old. By the time I was 7-8 I had passed that stage and had begun reading for the sake of understanding what I was reading.

I remember learning how to write more than I remember learning how to read. I knew how to spell but I couldn't write very legibly until I was well into elementary school. (Some people would argue I still don't write legibly...)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes it can. :( [MENTION=18819]nicolita[/MENTION] you're a SLP, right? My oldest has dyslexia and had to be taught phonemic awareness thru LiPS...slow and painstaking. Reading still isn't easy or fluid for him. My daughter had similar problems but from auditory processing disorder so she had a lot of trouble with sound/symbol relationships. She finally got it. Next son has problem as well so it is a familial thing...too early to see how things will turn out for him. The last one doesn't seem to have any issues and is picking up reading by sitting in with his older brother.

I can't remember when I learned to read. Maybe 5 or 6? I remember it being difficult and the it finally "clicking".

Yep I'm an SLP. Have any of your kids ever worked with one? Dyslexia normally doesn't qualify for speech/language services without a phonological impairment. I've never treated dyslexia specifically, just kind of brought written language into therapy tasks to help reinforce the sound/symbol correspondence. It's awesome that you got them what they needed though. I see too many students who are in high school and have dyslexia and have just been passed through with no intervention. I can't imagine trying to pass a high school social studies class without the ability to read.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
3 to begin with, but learning to read is a process that took a few years. I was good by kindergarten.

Chancelade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Between 3 and 4, and I'm still inexplicably proud of it.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well my mom read me a tons of books when I was a kid, she loves books and to read and so she motivated me to learn quickly...I remember I was the first one at school who could read, and I was 5 when I learned that. The funny thing is that I was so quick in learning reading, talking, new words etc... but I was heavily behind other's my age in writting, drawing, and math.