User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default How old were you when you learned to read?

and what methods were used?

I was thinking about this and how I was a late reader, despite not being dyslexic nor having any other reading disability. I didn't learn until I was around 7 and a half. And it's interesting because my brother who's 2 and half years older was the one who taught me, And he simply told me to sound it out and showed me how to. No one had ever told me to do that before, and I picked it up really fast. Maybe they did and I wasn't paying attention. But no wonder I didn't start reading til late no one had ever just simply said "sound it out" I had memorized books around 5 or 6 and would say I was reading but the thing is i'd stay on the first page and just recite. Of course once I learned cuz it took awhile compared to my peers, I would read every billboard we passed, because I was so proud

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Around 6-7 years old. Some psychometrics claim that the age when an individual learns to read is a sign of intelligence.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

that's so cute purp! I remember trying to teach my little sisters how to read and other things when we were younger. Dyslexia can really make it tough to learn to read so 7 is impressive. I love when kids proudly read things around them. One of the cutest things in the world. I read pretty early, but was never good at spatial reasoning (still a weakness).

Edit: methods? Oh man I really don't remember. I was reading before school so I'm pretty sure it was my mom who did most of it. She's not a teacher so who knows what she did lol.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    that's so cute purp! I remember trying to teach my little sisters how to read and other things when we were younger. Dyslexia can really make it tough to learn to read so 7 is impressive. I love when kids proudly read things around them. One of the cutest things in the world. I read pretty early, but was never good at spatial reasoning (still a weakness).

Edit: methods? Oh man I really don't remember. I was reading before school so I'm pretty sure it was my mom who did most of it. She's not a teacher so who knows what she did lol.
    wait i said i wasn't dyslexic, or are you saying your sister was?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    wait i said i wasn't dyslexic, or are you saying your sister was?
    Oh shoot my bad. You said you weren't. I misread it. :/
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Oh shoot my bad. You said you weren't. I misread it. :/
    it's ok

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

5. I was in the bluebird group for advanced readers in first grade. When the teacher took me aside to tell me I was being placed in another group, I thought I'd done something wrong and was in trouble.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I don't clearly remember when I learnt to read (I think it was in my reception year in school) but I remember a consciousness of 'I can read anything now' when I learnt to read. I felt powerful with a great sense of accomplishment to be able to read.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

My son has just started to read. He recognizes the letters in words and forms the sounds as he sees them. The other day he pointed out the word CAT to me. It's fun to watch him get so excited about learning an ability most adults take for granted.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

6. It happened over summer before I started first grade somehow. Nobody had really gotten around to teach me officially how to read by that point.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78