User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Are we counting words or books? I definitely was able to read a children's book before first grade at age six (something to do with a fall birthday). I know this because I entered first grade knowing how to read and being annoyed with phonetics. I could recognize certain words at least by age 5 or 4. I can't get more precise than that because my memory kind of fails me, and evidently everyone else's does too.

I know I couldn't read at age 3 and it's pretty impressive that anyone could. I have memories from about that age being mystified by writing.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Are we counting words or books? I definitely was able to read a children's book before first grade at age six (something to do with a fall birthday). I know this because I entered first grade knowing how to read and being annoyed with phonetics. I could recognize certain words at least by age 5 or 4. I can't get more precise than that because my memory kind of fails me, and evidently everyone else's does too.

I know I couldn't read at age 3 and it's pretty impressive that anyone could. I have memories from about that age being mystified by writing.

i guess sentences, because before i officially learned how to read i could recognize words such as cat and the but would have no clue what the other words were. and I think I only knew cat and the from seeing those words repeatly

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    i guess sentences, because before i officially learned how to read i could recognize words such as cat and the but would have no clue what the other words were. and I think I only knew cat and the from seeing those words repeatly
    I can't remember what the first sentence I read was. It might have been in the first book I read. I realized I read the first sentence and then I kept going. It was a book my parents had read to me a lot, so I knew the minuscule plot already.

Guess I'm not that speshul after all. It's not that unusual, I suppose. I could read at pretty high levels pretty quickly though. I think by the end of first grade I was reading at a sixth (twelfth?) grade level or something.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I learned to read before preschool- so about 3. Only very basic things, like "ball," "cat," "tree," etc. My dad really liked to read to us, & I have vague memories of following along, not always recognizing the letters, then trying to read more stories past bedtime/failing. Eventually the more complex words made sense. I sounded things out phonetically, & corrected myself when the sound didn't match up entirely. For example- a word like "knit," -if I pronounced the K, the word sounded "off" to me, & context clues within the sentences would help me to figure out what the word actually was, despite the confusing presence of a silent letter. No one else suggested looking for context- I kinda just looked everywhere around the problem word of my own accord. I was reading Little Golden Books myself by preschool (about 41/2), & short novels by 1st grade (age 6). Dabbling in Stephen King when I was in 3rd grade.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I was reading Little Golden Books myself by preschool (about 41/2)

I bet there are dozens of those Little Golden Books stashed somewhere in my parents' house.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

The first book I read was a Little Golden Book. Pokey Little Puppy.

Visit my Johari:
    Likes windoverlake liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I loved that book. I had the record that went with it.

I read pretty well when I went into Kindergarden. I was a problem student throughout my career. My mother always lamented teaching me to read before I went to school, she blames me being ahead and bored as the reason I had so much trouble.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

I bet there are dozens of those Little Golden Books stashed somewhere in my parents' house.
    Yeah, I passed mine off to my cousins (along with many a Seuss tale). Might as well have given them toilet paper, really.. they basically wiped their asses with 'em. Not the reading type.
    As adults now, they're still not.

Hah, I think I remember that one..

One of my first was this:
    cats, of course

It also came with an audio cassette that I used to listen to on a walkman on road trips/looking at the pictures (around the time I was learning to read). Reading in a vehicle triggers severe motion sickness for me, so the audio helped in that regard. I think that, although I was looking at the pictures during extended journeys, perhaps some part of my brain was also processing the words in front of my eyes in tandem with the voice in my ear- the tapes were likely a useful/indirect training aid.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

I wrote stories on my womb wall.
    Likes windoverlake liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

I was more into running, playing, fighting, than reading. My motor skills developed faster than my intellectual.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."