User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Socionics
    ILI

I don't remember how old I was, but I remember that I actually learned how to somewhat read before anyone found it. My parents tried to do this thing where they would put subtitles on all of the shows I watched. Now imagine an associative synesthete with a highly associative memory watching the TV with subtitles. I understood almost every word spoken after about the 5th or 6th episodes (from matching the sound bytes to the word), but everyone still thought that I didn't know how to read until about 2-3 years later or something of the sort.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I learned to read probably in first grade, so about six.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm not sure exactly but I know it was prior to kindergarten so maybe 4.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't know. I could read simple words in preschool but I didn't start reading full sentences until kindergarten.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Dyslexia can really make it tough to learn to read so 7 is impressive. I love when kids proudly read things around them. One of the cutest things in the world. I read pretty early, but was never good at spatial reasoning (still a weakness).
    Yes it can. @nicolita you're a SLP, right? My oldest has dyslexia and had to be taught phonemic awareness thru LiPS...slow and painstaking. Reading still isn't easy or fluid for him. My daughter had similar problems but from auditory processing disorder so she had a lot of trouble with sound/symbol relationships. She finally got it. Next son has problem as well so it is a familial thing...too early to see how things will turn out for him. The last one doesn't seem to have any issues and is picking up reading by sitting in with his older brother.

I can't remember when I learned to read. Maybe 5 or 6? I remember it being difficult and the it finally "clicking".

I was taught to read by "sounding it out" too. I learned the alphabet, then learned which sounds were made with each letter, then learned phonemes (the sounds 'th', 'ph', 'ei', etc. make), and eventually I could read without having to think about sounding things out. To be honest I don't remember a time when I didn't know how to read English. If I had to hazard a guess I would say I was close to having finished or had already finished the "sounding things out" stage by the time I started kindergarten; I was four years old.

I do remember learning how to read French though. The French alphabet is the same as the English one so I can't remember a time when I didn't know it, but I remember the "sounding things out" stage of reading in French when I was 5-6 years old. By the time I was 7-8 I had passed that stage and had begun reading for the sake of understanding what I was reading.

I remember learning how to write more than I remember learning how to read. I knew how to spell but I couldn't write very legibly until I was well into elementary school. (Some people would argue I still don't write legibly...)

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Yes it can. @nicolita you're a SLP, right? My oldest has dyslexia and had to be taught phonemic awareness thru LiPS...slow and painstaking. Reading still isn't easy or fluid for him. My daughter had similar problems but from auditory processing disorder so she had a lot of trouble with sound/symbol relationships. She finally got it. Next son has problem as well so it is a familial thing...too early to see how things will turn out for him. The last one doesn't seem to have any issues and is picking up reading by sitting in with his older brother.

I can't remember when I learned to read. Maybe 5 or 6? I remember it being difficult and the it finally "clicking".
    Yep I'm an SLP. Have any of your kids ever worked with one? Dyslexia normally doesn't qualify for speech/language services without a phonological impairment. I've never treated dyslexia specifically, just kind of brought written language into therapy tasks to help reinforce the sound/symbol correspondence. It's awesome that you got them what they needed though. I see too many students who are in high school and have dyslexia and have just been passed through with no intervention. I can't imagine trying to pass a high school social studies class without the ability to read.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

3 to begin with, but learning to read is a process that took a few years. I was good by kindergarten.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Between 3 and 4, and I'm still inexplicably proud of it.
    everything goes

Well my mom read me a tons of books when I was a kid, she loves books and to read and so she motivated me to learn quickly...I remember I was the first one at school who could read, and I was 5 when I learned that. The funny thing is that I was so quick in learning reading, talking, new words etc... but I was heavily behind other's my age in writting, drawing, and math.