User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: No Imagination

Default No Imagination

As a little boy, we were visiting my aunt Vera who had just come back from a trip around the world with two new friends.

We sat in Vera's comfortable lounge room in Maroubra Beach while Vera and her friends told us about their world trip.

The told us all the details. They told us about the bathrooms, about the breakfasts, about the seats in the planes and trains. They told us about every irrelevant detail, relentlessly, they went on and on.

And it became plain that this was all they saw on their expensive world trip, was the details.

They were completely unable to respond imaginatively to all they had seen. They were unable to respond intellectually to the world open before them.

Even as a little boy I was staggered to listen to them, I expected any minute they would draw all these details together in some kind of pattern, I expected they would give all these details some kind of meaning. But no, the details just went on and on.

It must have shown on my little boy's face, because the nice middle class woman said to me as we left, You think we're strange don't you.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    And it became plain that this was all they saw on their expensive world trip, was the details.

They were completely unable to respond imaginatively to all they had seen. They were unable to respond intellectually to the world open before them.
    The vast majority of my extended family is like this. As a young child I wanted to be included in what the grownups were doing, but whenever I was, I found it inexpressibly boring. Thank goodness for books.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    yupp

I tend to be the opposite, I have a hard time remembering the details most of the time I remember facts I've learned and the overall feeling of the trip like it was good or it was bad. that simple. or I go on tangents in my head and wild flights of fantasy and so the idea of me with out imagination is me without a brain. my brain doesn't do concrete well.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Thank goodness for books.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I have a hard time not thinking about how the trip could be improved were I to do it again when I'm supposed to be enjoying things. Takes effort to focus on the here and now.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The vast majority of my extended family is like this. As a young child I wanted to be included in what the grownups were doing, but whenever I was, I found it inexpressibly boring. Thank goodness for books.
    They say if you haven't read for two days, it shows on your face.

WhoCares

On the other hand I spent a fortnight in Bangkok a few years ago and managed to read Game Of Thrones. I could have done that in my lounge room really. That pretty much sums up all my overseas trips these days, I'd rather read. Still think your Aunt is a retard?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    On the other hand I spent a fortnight in Bangkok a few years ago and managed to read Game Of Thrones. I could have done that in my lounge room really. That pretty much sums up all my overseas trips these days, I'd rather read. Still think your Aunt is a retard?
    I nursed my aunt Vera through the final years of her alzheimers disease. Vera wasn't a 'retard'. Vera came from an large authoritarian family, worked all her life, and had no time for imaginative pursuits. And we loved one another.

WhoCares

@Mole I didnt mean offence, its just my expression. What I meant was although your aunt noticed only the details of her trip, I noticed none since I was too busy reading. Who do you think had the more enriching experience?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    @Mole I didnt mean offence, its just my expression. What I meant was although your aunt noticed only the details of her trip, I noticed none since I was too busy reading. Who do you think had the more enriching experience?
    I think it is wonderful to travel with a book. To be here and now, and at the same time give your imagination free play.