User Tag List

123 Last

Default Mapping Emotions On The Body

Mapping Emotions On The Body: Love Makes Us Warm All Over
    by MICHAELEEN DOUCLEFF
    December 30, 2013
    NPR.org

Excerpt:

People drew maps of body locations where they feel basic emotions (top row) and more complex ones (bottom row). Hot colors show regions that people say are stimulated during the emotion. Cool colors indicate deactivated areas.
    Image courtesy of Lauri Nummenmaa, Enrico Glerean, Riitta Hari, and Jari Hietanen.

Close your eyes and imagine the last time you fell in love. Maybe you were walking next to your sweetheart in a park or staring into each other's eyes over a latte.

Where did you feel the love? Perhaps you got butterflies in your stomach or your heart raced with excitement.

When a team of scientists in Finland asked people to map out where they felt different emotions on their bodies, they found that the results were surprisingly consistent, even across cultures.

People reported that happiness and love sparked activity across nearly the entire body, while depression had the opposite effect: It dampened feelings in the arms, legs and head. Danger and fear triggered strong sensations in the chest area, the volunteers said. And anger was one of the few emotions that activated the arms.

The scientists hope these body emoticons may one day help psychologists diagnose or treat mood disorders.

< Full Story >
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 04-24-2014 at 12:07 AM. Reason: merged
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I saw this the other day, I thought it was somewhat fascinating.

It's interesting to me that envy is so similar to contempt- it looks like contempt is just a stronger feeling. Because in my mind they seem like different feelings, so it's surprising to me to see they exist in the same place (?). (Although it doesn't really surprise me that shame and contempt are similar.)
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

I read this earlier today. I think it's interesting that thoughts, which come attached with some personal meaning and emotion, physically alter people. It reminds me of how our inner world constantly affects our physical world, and how entwined they actually are; thoughts, feelings, us, and our realities. Thanks for sharing.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I'm very surprised that the legs aren't more activated during fear. It also is interesting that the brightest part of a lot of these is the heart, which would explain why people used to think it was the seat of emotions. Only neutrality and depression has no chest area activity.

Also notice disgust and the brightness around the stomach.. as though someone might be about to retch. Anger, meanwhile, looks like it is about to beat someone up.

Looks like interesting insight into our animal nature here.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

It actually took me forever to figure out that emotions are experienced in the body.

But I know that rage comes from my belly. It's fury that's in the chest and arms. They're different emotions.

Cool topic though. Thanks for the post.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I thought this was a cool idea when I saw it (friend posted on facebook), but I was disappointed when I read how the study worked. Basically, people self-reported what they felt physically when experiencing an emotion by coloring in diagrams. I thought people's body reactions were actually being measured somehow, but nope.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^I think I remember thinking something similar when I read it, but still- I think it's interesting that people reported feeling the same thing consistently across different cultures.

eta: I'd be interested in seeing if there was any significant difference across different ages (and if that difference held consistency across different cultures).
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Socionics
    ILI

I've seen this featured on a particular social entertainment app.

The reason why anxiety (and somewhat fear) pools blood to the chest is actually to lessen the damage done to your body if you lose an extremity. If you are incredibly anxious/wary during a battle, and you lose an arm, then you aren't going to lose as much blood as a person who is stoic in battle or angry (since anger pools blood to the arms and core, btw most of these are blood maps), thus ensuring higher odds of survival.

EDIT: Meant Anxiety instead of fear

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Look at how lit up the body is during happiness and love. That's beautiful.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

garbage

I don't know if I'd be able to self-report this sort of thing. I'll have to pay attention to where I feel my surprise, I guess?