• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Persona-switching: embodying desirable mental states through role-playing.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I remembered a story I had read about Carl Jung where he kept a hidden "self" in the attic of the church where his father worked. I did some research and Carl Jung himself describes two of his own personalities he calls No. 1 and No. 2, which reminded me of little/big brother. In "Memories, Dreams, and Reflections", Jung references these personalities and suggests that we each possess such divisions: http://books.google.com/books?id=w6...and counterplay between no 1 and no 2&f=false

Do you have any thoughts on this or personal experience?

Last edited:

Rosie Drew

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When I was little I used to have personalities for my stuffed animal cats. I had two.

1. Was called Meowie she was a aggressive playful impulsive cat that got herself into trouble and could be girlish at times very childlike.

2. Was called Mike. He was a calm, protective cat. Who cared for meowie. But he spoiled all the fun...

When I looked back and got introduced to the Enneragram and Myers Briggs I realized they were both me...
so this doesn't shock me.:)

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remembered a story I had read about Carl Jung where he kept a hidden "self" in the attic of the church where his father worked. I did some research and Carl Jung himself describes two of his own personalities he calls No. 1 and No. 2, which reminded me of little/big brother. In "Memories, Dreams, and Reflections", Jung references these personalities and suggests that we each possess such divisions: http://books.google.com/books?id=w6...and counterplay between no 1 and no 2&f=false

Do you have any thoughts on this or personal experience?
This description seems to correspond to the distinction between our inner self and the self we allow the external world to see.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jung was crazy. Who knew?

W

WhoCares

Actually I have a work persona and the delightful individual you see here. I'm not sure which embodies insanity more. The people who know me would say the work persona is the weirdest, beats being boring though.:)