• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensing and Intuiting

Jaguar

If a person put their hand over a flame and felt no heat, I'd suggest seeing a doctor for a potential neurological deficit. (e.g. Peripheral neuropathy.) It's not about being in the moment.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think for me it's a mix of ne si happening. What it reminds me of, experiences or what else it might make me think of.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It's a cup. I don't really read in to it. It's just a cup

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No intuition is when you look at a styrofoam cup and experience a dejavu moment of when you were in another place also looking at a styrofoam cup but feeling either rotten or smugly contented and then feeling that feeling all over again, thinking you can see the same the surroundings all over again. Eventually you realise that someone is trying to talk to you but you had phased out ofthat moment entirely to relive he other one momentarily. It's also looking at a styrofoam cup and thinking I've been here bfore, I've done this before, but fucked if I can remember the details about it.

Both scenario's bear no relationship to the present moment. They are in your head moments of shifting through memories being triggered by an external object while neither taking in the details of the object or the current situation.

Intuiting is connecting feelings, and memories mnemonically to objects\situations you externally observe without taking in the now moment at all.
Sensing is taking in the object\situation in the now and observing what it means in the current context.

I regularly cut and burn myself. Often quite badly and to the point of serious bleeding, blistering of skin. I rarely feel the pain of it in the moment. My hand will recoil, I will react but I am not here now to fully experience it. Later it irritates because I feel the pain of it.

This is a funny kind of way to describe the N/S divide. The connections and insights that I form as an intuitive are rarely personal. My experience of Ni is that it takes a synecdochical view of whatever Se data point it gets. The real life object is a stand in for some larger concept, in other words.

Touching something? Unless it's harmful I'm pretty oblivious to most things. I can get into an Se kick and get mesmerized by certain things, but generally speaking it takes conscious effort on my part to be really engaged with the physical world.

G

garbage

Cup. "This is basically Roshach. But, you know, in cup form. There's a multitude of things that can be said about this cup and in these sorts of exercises in general, and they have different interpretations--such as (a) [blah], (b) [blah], etc. Man, this sure is a cup."

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Touching a doorknob isn't a transcendent experience for me.

To me that is the crux of something I find frustrating about typology forums in general. While not everyone is guilty of this, many do fall into the trap of believing they have to convince someone, (usually themselves), about just how abstract and insightful they are.

After all, it's a tired point to mention the general..malaise surrounding opinions on Sensing types, although some would argue there is proof to reinforce some of the views I've heard....whatever that might be. :huh:

But of course my type is still somewhat up in the air, I could easily be a sensing type or an intuitive type and many would lean towards sensing over intuition. If I'm being honest INFP actually sounds like one of the least satisfying cognitions to be lumped with in life....never really having a place.

Frankly if someone showed me a styrofoam cup and asked this question, given the information and time I've spent on forums like these, I would be wondering what they were looking for, I don't think I would be able to give a natural answer, because I would be considering the hidden motive behind the context and the question. If I had no knowledge of MBTI or other typology theories before hand, perhaps my answer would be more genuine.

I can't speak for others, but I personally find it hard to give a 'naturally inclined' answer to something in which I have an invested interest and a degree, (small but there), of awareness surrounding the influences of the topic.

G

Ginkgo

I have a question.
Let's say an N and an S both touched something. How does their experience with touching something differ? What does one think in comparison to the other?

Their qualia will likely differ in that the sensor will be more prone to settle on the sensation itself (particularly with Se), whereas the intuitive will be more prone to mentally avoid the sensation in favor of settling on interpretations of the sensation (particularly with Ni).

Even though I'm an INFP, I relate with the below in its entirety - giving you an idea of how much introverted/extraverted orientations of a function matter in the context of the specific question you're asking.
I can only really speak for myself, but as someone who uses essentially no Se, if I'm touching something, I'm probably not "in the moment" regarding my experience of it*. I'm too distracted by context, past experience, and connotation to be able to feel it for what it is. Only if I really, really focus, can I zero in on the tactile experience.

*I do not consider myself to be an "in the moment" person at all.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Motives are what would pop into my head too. My first thought would be "why do you want to know?" followed by various reasons for why they might. If I already know them, I'd question the sense of asking it. Much like I am right now.

Jaguar

Frankly if someone showed me a styrofoam cup and asked this question, given the information and time I've spent on forums like these, I would be wondering what they were looking for, I don't think I would be able to give a natural answer, because I would be considering the hidden motive behind the context and the question.

Something tells me you would not like writing prompts.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A lot of what people on personality forums describe as characteristic of Se sounds like something you would experience while under the influence of cocaine or methamphetamine. Touching a doorknob isn't a transcendent experience for me.
Dave Barry said that when he used LSD he could see the notes coming out of the stereo. :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is not what sensing & intuiting mean...