User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Trusting intuition regarding major life decisions

I'm talking about momentary flashes of insight that guide a MAJOR DECISION IN YOUR LIFE. You can call it Ni if it helps, but I'm particularly talking about a moment where you step back and survey a situation subconsciously to gain sudden insight into whatever is going on. I've seen in described in psychological literature (by Liberman, et al) as implicit processing -- beyond or before language.

Do you trust those insights? Have you ever been betrayed by those intuitive leaps?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think it depends on the situation. I tend to trust the workability of my own ideas. For example, I'm the kind of person who stubbornly thinks that video game movie adaptations could be made to work as legitimate movies.

I also find that I'm right about many things that I conceive -- such as what will happen. I don't know how I get the insights, but for some reason, they happen. Of course, a skeptic would be more inclined to call this a coincidence.

In regards to intuitions to things that aren't my forte -- mainly physical problems -- I tend to be at a loss. I don't have a really good intuition of understanding what may happen if I, let's say, stack boxes too high. I mean, yeah, sure, common sense suggests that if I stack them too high, they'll fall over. However, I'm not good at understanding what is and isn't too high. This, of course, is just a metaphoric example.

But at times, I tend to be in denial of my intuitions. I'll make an assumption about something and I'll often turn out to be right. But at the same time, I try not to jump to any conclusions because I have it in my mind that there is always a chance that I won't be right.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Yes
    I am learning that my Ni is wiser than I am....or something
    and i have yet to be betrayed by them, as long as my emotions are even keeled
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'm the kind of person who stubbornly thinks that video game movie adaptations could be made to work as legitimate movies.
    They can, I think, as long as we keep them away from the likes of Mr. Boll and Mr. Anderson (and their ilk).
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I think it depends on the situation. I tend to trust the workability of my own ideas. For example, I'm the kind of person who stubbornly thinks that video game movie adaptations could be made to work as legitimate movies.

I also find that I'm right about many things that I conceive -- such as what will happen. I don't know how I get the insights, but for some reason, they happen. Of course, a skeptic would be more inclined to call this a coincidence.

In regards to intuitions to things that aren't my forte -- mainly physical problems -- I tend to be at a loss. I don't have a really good intuition of understanding what may happen if I, let's say, stack boxes too high. I mean, yeah, sure, common sense suggests that if I stack them too high, they'll fall over. However, I'm not good at understanding what is and isn't too high. This, of course, is just a metaphoric example.

But at times, I tend to be in denial of my intuitions. I'll make an assumption about something and I'll often turn out to be right. But at the same time, I try not to jump to any conclusions because I have it in my mind that there is always a chance that I won't be right.
    I'm not really talking about intuitive leaps about danger or pragmatic things. I'm talking about intuitive flashes that tell you where to steer your life. For example, I've had flashes of intuition about pursuing psychology, and pursuing spirituality, and about incompatibility with people I'm dating. All of these I consider major life decisions, and I'm particularly talking about that. Sorry the OP wasn't clear. I''ll clean it up.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Do you trust those insights? Have you ever been betrayed by those intuitive leaps?
    I usually trust them now. I've regretted not doing so more than once.

I've been misled by them more than betrayed by them, but my inaccurate intuitive leaps have a pattern based in my insecurities and the themes are familiar enough now that I have a pretty good idea when I'm tripping. Those times, I try to hold off on speaking of or acting on my on impulses until I've had time to come up with some kind of concrete verification. Usually there is none and I chill out and realize I was tripping.

Edit: As far as major life decisions, yes, I do tend to listen to those. Not in exclusion of everything else, but if I get a flash like you describe and it's feasible to follow it, I try to do so.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I've been misled by them more than betrayed by them, but my inaccurate intuitive leaps have a pattern based in my insecurities and the themes are familiar enough now that I have a pretty good idea when I'm tripping...

Edit: As far as major life decisions, yes, I do tend to listen to those. Not in exclusion of everything else, but if I get a flash like you describe and it's feasible to follow it, I try to do so.
    That's exactly what I fear, that those major life decisions are being guided or tainted by insecurities. So far, I think the MAJOR decisions have all been pretty accurate, especially looking back, as I notice that my intuition in the past regarding major decisions was accurate, even though I didn't follow it.

Have you ever noticed that the MAJOR intuitions were innaccurate or tainted?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

That's exactly what I fear, that those major life decisions are being guided or tainted by insecurities. So far, I think the MAJOR decisions have all been pretty accurate, especially looking back, as I notice that my intuition in the past regarding major decisions was accurate, even though I didn't follow it.

Have you ever noticed that the MAJOR intuitions were innaccurate or tainted?
    No. Anytime I've had a real bolt out of the blue on a major decision, it's been fine. The decisions I feel ambiguous about are the ones that lacked that kind of inspiration and and the ones I really regret are ones I knew were a mistake before I implemented them.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

^^ good to know.

I have a friend in UCLA med school who's studying under a professor who writes a lot about exploring intuition. She distinguishes it from other feelings in that it's not emotionally charged. Meaning you see things and don't feel extremely anything about it, you just understand. I'd say that a pretty accurate assessment. Also, I think there's a lot of peace and a sense of hope/empowerment that follows realizations like those.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

^^ good to know.

I have a friend in UCLA med school who's studying under a professor who writes a lot about exploring intuition. She distinguishes it from other feelings in that it's not emotionally charged. Meaning you see things and don't feel extremely anything about it, you just understand. I'd say that a pretty accurate assessment. Also, I think there's a lot of peace and a sense of hope/empowerment that follows realizations like those.
    This makes sense to me. There have been a few instances in my life where I have 'known' what I needed to do - and these instances have involved major life decisions. I would describe these cases as being overwhelming in their sense of clarity, and not wrapped up in emotion, other than recognizing I would regret it if I did not follow my intuition, and fear of going forward with what I 'knew' I needed to do . But I went ahead anyway - setting fear into the background where it could watch. :-) (fear being present because the actions taken were outside of my immediate comfort zone - but I knew I'd be ok, and it was still the right decision)

And yes, the clarity brings a great sense of empowerment, hope, and most importantly, peace.

There have been times where I have mistook emotions for what at the time I thought was intuition - but really I think it was wishful thinking, couched in rationalizations and idealism. There were a lot of emotional undercurrents, and a sense of my trying to stifle tiny misgivings for more of this 'feeling' of intuition - which isn't the same thing as what you are describing.

I think I'm much more aware now of the differences, and am more in tune with my emotions and responses - so I haven't made mistakes recently in mistaking intuition.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ