User Tag List

First 2345 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I'll say.

That doesn't seem like a major life decision. Maybe it is -- maybe that person will be your worst enemy or best friend...

If you act on that feeling, which is to shun the presumed shit head, then you'll never know. That's true. We're not talking about Jung's intuition here -- I understand that. Certainly there's some overlap, but I don't think that the intuition you're describing is constrained by N functions. Sounds like there's a good bit of F in there and maybe something I can't identify because of the glare of the typology reference.

Anyway, you didn't say anything about action. Just... assumptions. That all remains in your head though. Or is that the kind of major decision you meant?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    I'll say.

That doesn't seem like a major life decision. Maybe it is -- maybe that person will be your worst enemy or best friend...

If you act on that feeling, which is to shun the presumed shit head, then you'll never know. That's true. We're not talking about Jung's intuition here -- I understand that. Certainly there's some overlap, but I don't think that the intuition you're describing is constrained by N functions. Sounds like there's a good bit of F in there and maybe something I can't identify because of the glare of the typology reference.

Anyway, you didn't say anything about action. Just... assumptions. That all remains in your head though. Or is that the kind of major decision you meant?
    The real thing I'm talking about is intuitions about deep compatibility.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

So of a personal nature.

Kay.

I figured major life decisions included like, whether to buy a house or to buy a condo or maybe a Lamborghini vs. children debate.

I guess deciding which bitch to marry counts too.
    we fukin won boys

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Have you seen the actual problem-solving model Myers developed?
    No. Is it, like, type specific way to solve problems? I actually haven't read any books from Myers. They're so hard to come by that if I want to read one, ill have to buy it. The town library is too damn small for me...

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I'm talking about momentary flashes of insight that guide a MAJOR DECISION IN YOUR LIFE. You can call it Ni if it helps, but I'm particularly talking about a moment where you step back and survey a situation subconsciously to gain sudden insight into whatever is going on. I've seen in described in psychological literature (by Liberman, et al) as implicit processing -- beyond or before language.

Do you trust those insights? Have you ever been betrayed by those intuitive leaps?
    Personally, I almost always follow my insights. My insights are usually correct, although I do not always perceive the right reasons for my insights, if that makes any sense. So for example, I will perceive that someone is angry, although they do not even look that way, but I will put the blame on myself, although the blame lies elsewhere. However, that is a really banal example.

Some more poignant examples revolve around my decisions to get married, my decision to go to a certain place to gain employment and avoid another. Usually, my insights involving important people and decisions in my life are correct. Everything moves so quickly that the only judgment mechanism that I have is my Ne, which admittedly is not that healthy.

However, I find that if my emotions are too involved, I can easily IGNORE my insights, which is detrimental. Or I can apply incorrect judgment to my intuition (deadly!!!) Or I make incorrect, impetuous actions because I do not think things through. However, the basis was almost always correct.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

One of my friends just published a booklet called Intro to Type and Decision making. You have to be MBTI qualified to purchase it, but here's her bibliography of good decision books...she also emailed me that one of her recent favorites is The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less by Barry Schwartz. If your local library is small, maybe the list will give you enough options to find something.

The other thing is to never hesitate re talking about decisions with someone. For one thing, using both E and I processes automatically helps you use both Ne and Ti and that's a really good thing. For another, If the person is sincerely interested you have someone to check your thinking in both processes. I just spent the morning with a colleague whom you'd probably consider past middle age for whom I'm acting as a sounding board for a life decision. The older I get the more I actually seek second opinions--and I haven't really made any disastrous major decisions...

Bazerman, M. A., Neale, M. A. (1992). Negotiating rationally. New York: The Free Press.

deBono, E. (1999). Six thinking hats. New York: Little, Brown and Company.

Garvin, D. A., & Roberto, M. A. (2001). What you donknow about making decisions. Harvard Business Review, 79(8), 108-116.

Hammond, J. S., Keeney, R. L., & Raiffa, H. (1999). Smart choices: A practical guide to making better decisions. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.

Kindler, H. S. (1990). Risk taking: A guide for decision makers. Los Altos, CA: Crisp Publications, Inc.

Linder, K. (2005). Crunch time™: Eight steps to making the right life decisions at the right times. New York: Gotham Books.

March, J. G., with Heath, C. (1994). A primer on decision making: How decisions happen. New York: The Free Press.

Quinlivan-Hall, D., & Renner, P. (1994). In search of solutions: 60 ways to guide your problem-solving group. San Diego: Pfeiffer & Company.

Russo, J. E., Shoemaker, P. J. H. (1989). Decision traps: Ten barriers to brilliant decision-making and how to overcome them. New York: Simon & Schuster, Inc.

Russo, J. E., Shoemaker, P. J. H., with Hittleman, M. (2002). Winning decisions: Getting it right the first time. New York: Currency/Doubleday.

Wheeler, D. D., & Janis, I. L. (1980). A practical guide for making decisions. New York: The Free Press.
    Last edited by edcoaching; 07-16-2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: message truncated
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INTJ

I have been thinking on this and I wonder if I am actually INTJ instead of INTP. I know I am introverted so my dominant function would be introverted. T seems much stronger than N.

However....

I was looking through I book I have Building Blocks or Personality Type by Leona Hass and Mark Hunziker. It has a chapter for each introvert and extrovert trait, Ni, Ne, Ti, Te, etc. I identify very strongly with the description it has of Ni. I don't indentify as much with Ne. Most signficantly, Ne is supposed to good at reading people. I am really bad at this. In addition exploring my N choices in a more solitary manner seems like the right path to me, like this is the path my N is telling me to take.

With T I really can't decide if Ti or Te fits me more. Maybe a combination of Te but a strong introvert personality could resemble a Ti?

I am thinking that maybe because my dominant aspect was so put down, the secondary aspect took over.

Maybe I should do one of those "what type am I" posts, but I would rather wait till I have been here longer for that.

Ilah

MBTI
    ENFP

Wow, I don't think I've ever even thought about this before, but pretty much any 'major' decision was done through intuition with or without substantial supporting evidence to back it.

Leaving jobs / relationships, pulling away from people or pulling to them, accepting my current job over other offers (when I really had no idea what I'd be doing), the vehicle I recently purchased, a major move for me to live with people I barely knew (cross country move, even!)...

I guess I just tend to roll with however I feel at the moment!

Sorry if I didn't answer the question completely or as accurately as you'd like!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I find this difficult and consequently rarely follow raw intuition in making major decisions.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post

I was looking through I book I have Building Blocks or Personality Type by Leona Hass and Mark Hunziker. It has a chapter for each introvert and extrovert trait, Ni, Ne, Ti, Te, etc. I identify very strongly with the description it has of Ni. I don't indentify as much with Ne. Most signficantly, Ne is supposed to good at reading people. I am really bad at this. In addition exploring my N choices in a more solitary manner seems like the right path to me, like this is the path my N is telling me to take.

Ilah
    Ne is not good at reading people. Ne is good at seeing things that seems obvious but nobody sense them yet.

But then trusting Ne is like trying to find your way to a destination without looking at a map.