• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with"

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quote attributed to Jim Rohn.

Do you agree? Thoughts welcome.

Alea_iacta_est

Who the hell does Bill O'Reilly spend time with?

On a more serious note, I think this is accurate on the surface rather than what lies underneath (this could just be in my case, extremely high self monitor here). When I'm around certain people, I can and do mimic them, so I could definitely see myself looking like the average of the 5 people I'm closest to. Underneath however, I think I'm a completely different person than what I seem to be on the surface. Interesting quote though.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
For me, yeah. But that would be my husband and four children, so . . .

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
makes sense to me.

baccheion

It could be the case. Depends on how susceptible you are to external influence and the type of people you are surrounded by (how obsessed are they with pushing their own BS). For me personally this is not true. That is, I don't change to become the average of the people around me. Though some people have pushed their way into my life, then done everything in their power to change me into something else; usually into the person they keep trying to say I am, the person they think everyone should be, or the shit that they are. I never considered those people friends, I considered them pests that wouldn't go away.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, would that mean that, not long ago, I was the average of my mom, who has vascular dementia from a stroke, and my cats?

Eh. I'm good with that.

:D

Hey, cats are people, too. I bet Lexicon would agree with me.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At the moment, I can't think of 5 people I spend a meaningful amount of time with. When I did, they weren't people I necessarily wanted to spend time with and can't say I felt like I was an average of them (like, at the office).

To an extent you can judge people for the company they keep, but I think it would be something of a mistake to assume they are like the company they keep. Indeed, what is sometimes so baffling and ripe for judgment in the choice of company people make is that people so often pick company worlds apart and all wrong for themselves.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Stupid.

Sounds like an oversimplification by an extrovert.

Do the people we spend time with influence us significantly? Obviously.

But who we are to begin with is a huge part of who we become, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with those five people.

Take two completely different people and have them spend the same time with the same five people, and they won't turn out the same.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'd agree if it's meant as friends and family and over the medium-long term. Disagree if coworkers and casual acquaintances are included.

V

violaine

Hmm, interesting. I think I'm more of a connection between the people I spend time with, than an average. I think the world of the people I spend the most time with; they're all so interesting and electrifying to be with. I'm different from them and they're pretty different from each other though.

I have noticed that my best friends are always ENFJs and ENFPs. It's quite astounding how often I'm drawn to them as friends. I'm never drawn to ENFJ or ENFP men romantically though. We never seem to notice each other. :shrug:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There would have to be similarities, but I wouldn't go so far as to say this.

ISFJ (mother)
ENFP (sister)
ISFP (2 guy friends); I'm going to throw in my other 2 friends because I spend more time with them thanmy sister: ISTP and XSXJ (ESTJ?)
What's the average of these? Letter-wise ISFP I suppose.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No.

If the point of that quote is that the company you keep is important, then duh. The people you surround yourself with probably are impacting you. Things like thoughts, behavior, mood might be influenced.

But your essential self? That's you forever no matter who's around.

I'm really different from most people I spend time with. They're all different from each other too.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
I am really different from the five people I spend the most time with.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Stupid.

Sounds like an oversimplification by an extrovert.

Do the people we spend time with influence us significantly? Obviously.

But who we are to begin with is a huge part of who we become, and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with those five people.

Take two completely different people and have them spend the same time with the same five people, and they won't turn out the same.

this

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree it's an oversimplification, but I think there is truth to this as well. There's quite a bit out there about how social networks influence us... you can predict (statistically) how likely someone is going to get divorced by whether or not their friends were recently divorced, for example. The same goes for obesity and weight loss.

People aren't statistics, and there will always be exceptions, but I think there is enough truth to this that you should be aware of who are you are spending most of your time with.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree it's an oversimplification, but I think there is truth to this as well. There's quite a bit out there about how social networks influence us... you can predict (statistically) how likely someone is going to get divorced by whether or not their friends were recently divorced, for example. The same goes for obesity and weight loss.

People aren't statistics, and there will always be exceptions, but I think there is enough truth to this that you should be aware of who are you are spending most of your time with.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

I do agree with this.