• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And it was quickly dismissed as a stand-alone quote, and fairly so. But if we are going to dissect and analyze an idea, isn't it worthwhile to see how it works in various contexts once we concede that it doesn't work in all of them?

I'm simply framing that the 'original context' is irrelevant as a definitive description of the quote, based on how this thread was framed -- it's just one context among many, and you seem to have adequately articulated it in a few short sentences. In other contexts, however, the quote seems to fall short; and yes, people are continuing to discuss those contexts.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm simply framing that the 'original context' is irrelevant as a definitive description of the quote, based on how this thread was framed -- it's just one context among many, and you seem to have adequately articulated it in a few short sentences. In other contexts, however, the quote seems to fall short; and yes, people are continuing to discuss those contexts.

Okay, good point. I've heard the quote so many times in that context it was second nature for me to qualify it.

ameeker

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I think this quote is missing a few words. I've heard it as being "Your income is the average of your five best friends'."

rav3n

Like draws like. The tribalism of us and others that spans the majority of human social interactions. No surprise.