First 345

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    And it was quickly dismissed as a stand-alone quote, and fairly so. But if we are going to dissect and analyze an idea, isn't it worthwhile to see how it works in various contexts once we concede that it doesn't work in all of them?
    I'm simply framing that the 'original context' is irrelevant as a definitive description of the quote, based on how this thread was framed -- it's just one context among many, and you seem to have adequately articulated it in a few short sentences. In other contexts, however, the quote seems to fall short; and yes, people are continuing to discuss those contexts.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm simply framing that the 'original context' is irrelevant as a definitive description of the quote, based on how this thread was framed -- it's just one context among many, and you seem to have adequately articulated it in a few short sentences. In other contexts, however, the quote seems to fall short; and yes, people are continuing to discuss those contexts.
    Okay, good point. I've heard the quote so many times in that context it was second nature for me to qualify it.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    EIE

I think this quote is missing a few words. I've heard it as being "Your income is the average of your five best friends'."

Like draws like. The tribalism of us and others that spans the majority of human social interactions. No surprise.