MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    That's the thing.

I think, in a lot of ways, when you look beyond the surface, you're not really like those five people.

I think the way those five people influence who you are tends to be way more surface-level than not.
    What kind of things do you consider to be surface level?

The context of the quote is also worth noting. Jim Rohn, the author of the quote, is a self-help guru. His quote is for those trying to improve their personal and business life. If you are trying to lose weight, then making friends with 5 healthy, active people will help towards your goal, while making friends with 5 obese people who choose to eat junk will hinder your goal. In this context, I think it's useful. As ageless wisdom like something from the Tao Te Ching... it falls a bit short.

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    Yup. This is definitely true to a certain extent. We pick up a lot from the people we associate with. On the other hand, the people in our lives can change quickly, and with that, we can change quickly.
    This too. People change quickly when those close to them undergo crisis, which can have wide a wide affect.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    What kind of things do you consider to be surface level?

The context of the quote is also worth noting. Jim Rohn, the author of the quote, is a self-help guru. His quote is for those trying to improve their personal and business life. If you are trying to lose weight, then making friends with 5 healthy, active people will help towards your goal, while making friends with 5 obese people who choose to eat junk will hinder your goal. In this context, I think it's useful. As ageless wisdom like something from the Toa Te Ching... it falls a bit short.

This too. People change quickly when those close to them undergo crisis, which can have wide a wide affect.
    I meant that but also who you are immediately surrounded by can change quickly, which means that who you are can change quickly if you give credence to the original post.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    I meant that but also who you are immediately surrounded by can change quickly, which means that who you are can change quickly if you give credence to the original post.
    Oh, okay. Yeah, the quote is definitely more of a Te "part of the plan towards growth" piece of advice rather than a Ti "model of how people work" theory, I think.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Well this is concerning because one of my five will be leaving the country in a few months for awhile and my alt is questionable.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Well this is concerning because one of my five will be leaving the country in a few months for awhile and my alt is questionable.
    Haha!
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

Glycerine

I would hope not... yikes. I only have somewhat similar values to 1 out of 5 and even then that can be a bit questionable.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I thought the idea was that you are the average of your five closest FRIENDS, not just any rando you happen to be around.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I thought the idea was that you are the average of your five closest FRIENDS, not just any rando you happen to be around.
    Yes, that's what I was thinking too (and what I was agreeing with).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    The context of the quote is also worth noting.
    I disagree. The context of the quote was not offered as the basis for discussion of this thread, it was offered as a stand-alone starting point and self-contained.

All the context offers is what the original speaker of the quote might have meant by it, but there's no indication the thread creator was considering it in that light when offered as a topic of discussion.

As a stand-alone quote, obviously it has some shortcomings.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I disagree. The context of the quote was not offered as the basis for discussion of this thread, it was offered as a stand-alone starting point and self-contained.
    And it was quickly dismissed as a stand-alone quote, and fairly so. But if we are going to dissect and analyze an idea, isn't it worthwhile to see how it works in various contexts once we concede that it doesn't work in all of them?