User Tag List

123 Last

Default Your Psyche, Manners and Etiquette

We have a large diplomatic corps from all over the world and we formally teach them etiquettte, manners and protocol.

At school I attended manners class. Have you have attended manners class?

Do you think manners and etiquette are important?

How do you think the practice of manners and etiquette changes your psyche?

And how do you think being without manners or etiquette changes your psyche?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I have not attended manners lessons, but I did commit to study them myself after life taught me the hard way what they are for. Once you learn them, they are hard to stop doing. Harder than I would like.

They keep things running smoothly, but lessen in relevance as people get more intimate and earn real respect from one another. When that stuff guides you, you don't need to remember any rules to treat the other humanely; it comes instinctively.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    I have not attended manners lessons, but I did commit to study them myself after life taught me the hard way what they are for. Once you learn them, they are hard to stop doing. Harder than I would like.

They keep things running smoothly, but lessen in relevance as people get more intimate and earn real respect from one another. When that stuff guides you, you don't need to remember any rules to treat the other humanely; it comes instinctively.
    Yes, Jane Austin said, anything spoken with manners is easy to forgive.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

WALMART

I dreamt just now I was out, and had to eat carefully, for my natural inclination is to devour all food before me.

I am a barbarian, John the Savage.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

@Mole

No, but my mother was very picky about it.

Manners moreso than etiquette.

If anything, it likely causes you to pay more attention to other people and what their expectations are. [Not sure this is what you mean by the question.]

Everyone has manners. Some are good; others poor. Manners is a subset of behavior, focusing more on how we do things rather than what we do. (Our "manner" of doing it.) Etiquette especially seems externally focused, and is often arbitrary or at least artificial. Manners, by contrast, can be more internally based.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We have a large diplomatic corps from all over the world and we formally teach them etiquettte, manners and protocol.

I've been to a course for social skills as part of the education to become a professional bus driver. Overall, the class was fairly lame, much of it was pretty obvious. But it focused greatly on treating everyone as unbiased as possible and not to make assumptions. Although that already comes natural to me, I thought the focus of that at least was quite important.

I believe manners and etiquette are very important. Although I won't lie that I ultimately work for myself and my company, and the drive for my manners and etiquette are rooted in an ultimately selfish need. It is a fact that I spend a lot of time in the service of customers. I keep them happy, they keep coming back, I earn more money. I can be extremely flexible and will go to great lengths achieving this. Manners and etiquette opens up many ways of communication in general and in customer relations that is paramount.

The practice of manner and etiquette have not changed my psyche much though. At least not in the sense of radical change. But due to my mannerisms and etiquette, I am be exceptionally good at my work and that brings happiness and stability to my life.

If I did not have the will to 'put up with' customers using manners and etiquette, I would probably have failed the company many years ago and end up working some low end crappy job in which I would not have any individual worth or other ambitions. I'd probably be depressed and angry.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I grew up in a polite family in a polite region of the country... manners were always considered important and I got in trouble if I forgot it. I took an etiquette course in college as well, but that mostly focused on things like which fork to use for which course during formal dining.

What I have noticed, since I moved to the city and interact with a lot of people who weren't raised with the same emphasis on politeness, is that manners matter in ways that I'd never realized growing up. I use my pleases and thank yous and end up getting a lot better service than those who do not. I also get positive reactions when giving criticism (which is part of my job) instead of making people angry because I phrase things in a polite manner. Of course it helps that, as a coworker told me, I have a rather soft voice as well. I get people thanking me for thanking them

From my experience, etiquette is the rules that society imposes to keep things running smoothly. Manners are a more personal thing, more of an expression of personal consideration for others. When you use proper etiquette you are showing that "you were brought up in a 'good' family." When you use proper manners you are showing that you recognize the humanity of those with whom you are interacting... a little something that makes bitter pills a bit easier to swallow. Something about practicing good manners becomes engrained and it makes it just a little harder to forget that it's people that you are dealing with.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I grew up in a polite family in a polite region of the country... manners were always considered important and I got in trouble if I forgot it. I took an etiquette course in college as well, but that mostly focused on things like which fork to use for which course during formal dining.

What I have noticed, since I moved to the city and interact with a lot of people who weren't raised with the same emphasis on politeness, is that manners matter in ways that I'd never realized growing up. I use my pleases and thank yous and end up getting a lot better service than those who do not. I also get positive reactions when giving criticism (which is part of my job) instead of making people angry because I phrase things in a polite manner. Of course it helps that, as a coworker told me, I have a rather soft voice as well. I get people thanking me for thanking them

From my experience, etiquette is the rules that society imposes to keep things running smoothly. Manners are a more personal thing, more of an expression of personal consideration for others. When you use proper etiquette you are showing that "you were brought up in a 'good' family." When you use proper manners you are showing that you recognize the humanity of those with whom you are interacting... a little something that makes bitter pills a bit easier to swallow. Something about practicing good manners becomes engrained and it makes it just a little harder to forget that it's people that you are dealing with.
    Jane Austin would love you.

And as we all love Jane Austin, we love you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I've been to a course for social skills as part of the education to become a professional bus driver.
    All of our buses are connected to satellites and the internet, and whenever we get off the bus, everyone, and I mean everyone, says, thank you.

Perhaps we might call it high-tech etiquette.