User Tag List

Thread: Astrology study

MBTI
    ISTP

Default Astrology study

I ran an Astrology study on Amazon Mechanical Turk today. I started by taking the first paragraph of the descriptions for each of the 12 signs from astrology.com and rewriting them in the first person. You can read my rewritten first paragraphs here:http://goo.gl/tCMidr. For the study I removed any mention of any actual sign and asked 100 subjects (paid $.25 each) to read all 12 descriptions and pick the one that describes them best, and to also indicate their birthday. The average time spent on the task was 2 minutes 42 seconds (a couple of people obviously responded too fast to read them, but I left them in). I wrote a small python script to analyze the data, and here are the results:

== Correct guesses ==
    7 / 100 = 7.0 % (Chance = 1/12 = 8.3%)

Sagittarius
    Taurus
    Gemini
    Libra
    Leo
    Virgo
    Gemini

= Counts of chosen signs ==
    Aries 3
    Taurus 13
    Aquarius 9
    Pisces 6
    Sagittarius 13
    Capricorn 19
    Libra 6
    Scorpio 4
    Leo 1
    Virgo 9
    Gemini 6
    Cancer 11

== Counts of actual signs ==
    Aries 9
    Taurus 8
    Aquarius 7
    Pisces 9
    Sagittarius 5
    Capricorn 7
    Libra 8
    Scorpio 11
    Leo 11
    Virgo 9
    Gemini 13
    Cancer 3

I'm not surprised Sagittarius was so popular, just look at how awesome the description is.
    Capricorn was popular because SJs or something.

WALMART

Only one person chose Leo?

Fools.

Though reading that description, I can't blame them. Doesn't seem too in line with what I've come across... haven't been bothered enough to read anyone else's, either.

Basically proves that astrology is bullshit and reaffirms confirmation bias. Not surprising. You spent hard-earned quarters that could have gotten you candies from a vending machine, instead.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    Basically proves that astrology is bullshit and reaffirms confirmation bias. Not surprising. You spent hard-earned quarters that could have gotten you candies from a vending machine, instead.
    Pretty much.

I probably would have chosen Aquarius simply because it is closest to what occupies me, even if I'm no visionary, progressive soul. I certainly didn't register with the Capricorn description.

Hard work is a waste of time unless it is towards something significantly useful and/or of passion to the worker, rather than just the attainment of wealth and working ones way up in a company. In the case of the latter, hard work doesn't really work either since greasing the wheels and slotting into a biased corporate setting gains more accolades than a lifetime of hard work ever will.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.