12 Last

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Default Bullying and narcissism.

Narcissism seems like a popular topic around here, so I found this interesting article.

All bullies are narcissists

For the bully, the victim is what he fears that he himself might be: a loser.
    From what I've observed, it seems to be true. The only thing that is truly a surprise to me is the description of bullies as having high-self esteem. I suppose that could be explained as the bullying behavior giving them the high self-esteem. What would be effective solutions for counteracting bullying?

It would help them to face their fear of being a loser, but part of the problem is that they cannot face that because the fear of being a loser is so strong.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

No, bullies a lot of times are putting on shows to hide their weaknesses.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Right. Bullies are some deep thinkers, all right.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    yupp

why do bullies and bullets have the same root? because it's bull and bulls charge after people and hurt them and bullies and bullets also hurt people bullets do so by charging from a gun, while bullies sometime charge but not always. but they both hurt

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I have read a couple authors refer to the condition of someone having appropriate boundaries for his/her self as 'healthy narcissism'. In this use of the term 'narcissism', the op wouldn't especially hold true.

But I think the most common use of the term involves the association of people who have such an inflated sense of self that it blocks their ability to actually empathize with others appropriately (because they can't even see 'others' as such, appropriately- others are nothing more than mirrors to evaluate their own worth in). According to this latter definition, I agree with the op.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Right. Bullies are some deep thinkers, all right.
    Bullies can be of any level of intelligence, I think.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Correct.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Make no mistake, I never implied they're all dumb. Plenty bully with words alone. It's called 'emotional abuse' for just one example. What I refuse to buy into is that they've done some deep thinking and self-analysis about their reasons for what they do and then 'express it' outwardly as bullying. Bullshit. Some people are just that selfish and self-involved or hateful as hell and feel better when they make others feel like shit. Period.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Make no mistake, I never implied they're all dumb. Plenty bully with words alone. It's called 'emotional abuse' for just one example. What I refuse to buy into is that they've done some deep thinking and self-analysis about their reasons for what they do and then 'express it' outwardly as bullying.
    I didn't get that out of the article at all. Where does it say that? I agree that they do not have self-analysis, but I disagree that the article is suggesting the opposite.

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

That article seems pretty accurate to me though I disagree with the tagline of the thread. I have long thought that people who were abused themselves - physically, emotionally, psychologically, sexually - are the ones that tend to abuse others. That bully on the playground is probably being bullied at home. Not everyone reacts to situations in the same way though and the fact that you were abused as a child doesn't mean you will abuse others though it does make it more likely. A person I went to grade school with has made this her life's work - to combat these issues. It's a dangerous cycle with extremely harmful consequences, as described here, being passed down from one generation to the next.

It's a sad thing that those who were once bullied themselves and harmed by it, bully others and are blind to the hurt and damage their behavior causes others. I am not convinced that all bullies are narcissists because I have known at least one person who suffered from Narcissistic Personality Disorder and there was a whole other set of things going on with that person. There is a difference between NPD and lacking empathy for those that you harm.

This article has some interesting perspectives on the topic.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639