• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sociopathy, Narcissism, and MBTI

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
Is it possible for any type to have enough features of sociopathy to qualify as a sociopath? What about for narcissism?

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

If you have the qualities of a sociopath, you qualify as a sociopath. Yes.

Hypatia

Does one's MBTI type bring anything to bear about the likelihood of this occurring or is the likelihood caused by factors external to MBTI?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe there are types that exhibit sociopathic tendencies for reasons other than sociopaths would and are not sociopathic at all.

I don't believe the same is true for narcissism in general.

In the sense that with sociopathy, being a sociopath is the problem. But with narcissism, being narcissist can lead to problems, or a narcissists problems are actually better defined through other means, such as delusions of grandeur and a variety of other means to wrongly validate ones persona.

Hypatia

That's why I ask about about sociopathy: a pattern of characteristics must be met to qualify as a sociopath, not just some. Can anyone speculate connections between MBTI type and full-on sociopaths (those that meet the minimum conditions): can any type be prone to it or is it related more so to factors that are outside of the scope/explanatory power of MBTI?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
can any type be prone to it or is it dependent on factors that are outside of the scope/explanatory power MBTI?

Hmm, I think sociopathy can manifest in people in a wide variety of ways. But always through dissociation.

Meaning that whatever the underlying MBTI type of the sociopath. They are unlikely to associate with it.

Some types can exhibit dissociation, for example introverts and specifically INTP's, and I too have had my fear share of dissociation. But I think the main difference is that types that can exhibit dissociation by MBTI standards don't dissociate from the self but from external influences (for example INTP's tend to dissociate from the norm), while keeping the self in tact and can still function and grow socially. Whereas a sociopath dissociates from the self and as a result can not function healthily.

So I think whilest there are definately certain types that can exhibit 'sociopathic' traits without being actual sociopaths. Probably any type can be a sociopath.

It is impossible to say if any of the types have a higher chance of being a sociopath, because of the very reason that being a sociopath means you are not mentally healthy. And that suggests causes that transcends type, as no type is by definition unhealthy.

W

WALMART

"The morality of the intuitive is governed neither by intellect nor by feeling; he has his own characteristic morality, which consists in a loyalty to his intuitive view of things and a voluntary submission to its authority, Consideration for the welfare of his neighbours is weak. No solid argument hinges upon their well-being any more than upon his own. Neither can we detect in him any great respect for his neighbour's convictions and customs; in fact, he is not infrequently put down as an immoral and ruthless adventurer."

That line always spoke out to me.

There is more, regarding extraverted irrationals. If I had money to bank on sociopathy, it would be between extraverted sensing and extraverted intuition, though considerably more towards the latter.

I am trying to somehow work introverts into the concept, but Jung tended to think of introverts as being relatively meek in expression.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
It's possible. Hitler was xNFJ and a sociopath combined with other mental disorders.

two cents

MBTI Type
INFJ
Does one's MBTI type bring anything to bear about the likelihood of this occurring or is the likelihood caused by factors external to MBTI?

I would say that sociopathy and narcissism are not accounted for in the MBTI (really, MBTI might be useful for some things, but it's hardly a measure of EVERYTHING). That said, just on a hunch, it's possible that types with a prominent Fe are less likely to be sociopathic, since Fe relies (at least to some extent) on empathy, and that's a trait lacking in sociopaths. But that's just a wild guess.