User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Do narcisists know they are narcisistic?

Or are they in denial? Maybe they know but don't care? What do you think?

Paging @Marmotini - she probably know something.

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

Probably, though it most likely depends on a case by case basis.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

My blog in regular blogs

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I don't think many narcissists do. They couldn't be anything so lame as a narcissist.

Some could, perhaps, but probably most of them don't, unless they've been to a psychiatrist. And why would they go? They're such awesome healthy people!
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

From what I've read, I've gathered that most do not realize they are. There's many different ways to qualify "narcissist"- from everyday narcissism to full on NPD behaviors, but pretty much across the board it's a coping mechanism (which means they don't realize it's there).

Not all narcissists have high self-esteem, but I think something they do have in common is an inflated sense of entitlement to take advantage of others/objectify others (eta: and only feeling empathy when it's convenient or when it yields some desired returns- instead of feeling it out of authentic concern for others). If they realized they were objectifying others and expecting attention or resources (or whatever) and felt some kind of entitlement *just because*- and they still felt no shame for taking advantage of others- then they'd be sociopaths instead narcissists.

That's my understanding anyway. I've read a fair amount on it.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    From what I've read, I've gathered that most do not realize they are. There's many different ways to qualify "narcissist"- from everyday narcissism to full on NPD behaviors, but pretty much across the board it's a coping mechanism (which means they don't realize it's there).

Not all narcissists have high self-esteem, but I think something they do have in common is an inflated sense of entitlement to take advantage of others/objectify others (eta: and only feeling empathy when it's convenient or when it yields some desired returns- instead of feeling it out of authentic concern for others).
    It should be noted that there is also a difference between feeling empathy, and acting on it.

One may feel empathy, but may choose to disregard it in certain circumstances. Suppose someone, for instance, is kind of a jerk. You understand why they are a jerk, but that doesn't stop them from being a jerk. Nothing you can say or do will make them less of a jerk. Should someone respond with empathy, or not?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    It should be noted that there is also a difference between feeling empathy, and acting on it.

One may feel empathy, but may choose to disregard it in certain circumstances. Suppose someone, for instance, is kind of a jerk. You understand why they are a jerk, but that doesn't stop them from being a jerk. Nothing you can say or do will make them less of a jerk. Should someone respond with empathy, or not?
    Yeah, interesting, because I don't normally think- when my patience runs out with some people and I stop caring- I'd classify that as 'narcissism'. I mean- is it narcissistic to have boundaries? In a way it is, I guess- at least, maybe according to Fromm's definition of 'narcissism'- but then lack of boundaries is its own problem (codependency....which narcissists are drawn to like flies to honey).

I think it's more like the motivation to ever feel 'empathy', for narcissists, is fueled by what they can get in return (quite often, this amounts to how others make them feel- they need to be admired). And I use scare quotes because it isn't....real empathy? They don't actually see other people as being individuals with valid feelings, it's more like others are just mirrors for them (to make them feel important/valuable/worthy of love). If you can turn feelings for someone off practically overnight, especially strong feelings- then those feelings are narcissistic: they're more about what you get from the person than actually caring about that person.

eta: And so anyway- yeah I agree it's possible to feel genuine empathy and not act on it. When acting on it wouldn't especially be productive or helpful to the individual in question, then it can be pointless- but there can still be genuine empathy there.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Enneagram

A few years ago, I told a therapist I was a narcissist. And she said: no you're not; you're a teenager.

Later, she added more seriously that narcissists almost never acknowledge that quality in themselves. Not sure how much she knows though...

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Narcissists need to be admired... interesting. Could this mean that they might be threatened by someone they think might be better than them at something important to them? Not that it is or isn't the case, but if they feel a threat?

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I would imagine they believe themselves eminently reasonable and other people overly-sensitive, selfish, etc.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I would imagine they believe themselves eminently reasonable and other people overly-sensitive, selfish, etc.
    Do you think it is impossible for someone to be over-sensitive?

I think it isn't. A lot of bullies are over-sensitive, though perhaps they don't get called that.

Visit my Johari: