User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    I can be vain because I care about how I appear to others, but that doesn't mean I'm a narcissist.
    If you care about how you appear to others and thus act unlike yourself in order to present yourself as more or better than you really are, you're narcissistic. Assigning some biased values to your opinion about narcissism and thinking it's not narcissism is only going to work in your own mind. That said it doesn't mean it is a problem.

I think narcissism isn't neccesarily bad, it all depends on how you put it in perspective and how you deal with it. But then, that also may just me being all narcissistic.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    If you care about how you appear to others and thus act unlike yourself in order to present yourself as more or better than you really are, you're narcissistic. Assigning some biased values to your opinion about narcissism and thinking it's not narcissism is only going to work in your own mind. That said it doesn't mean it is a problem.

I think narcissism isn't necessarily bad, it all depends on how you put it in perspective and how you deal with it. But then, that also may just me being all narcissistic.
    Since I know I am putting on an appearance, that is just being vain. Most people, in their day to day activities, do not act like one's self or present one's self as is just because he/she is narcissistic.

Or well, ok it's narcissistic, but it isn't NPD.

But in this case, I'd rather call it being vain instead of narcissistic. It's subtle.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Since I know I am putting on an appearance, that is just being vain. Most people, in their day to day activities, do not act like one's self or present one's self as is just because he/she is narcissistic.

Or well, ok it's narcissistic, but it isn't NPD.

But in this case, I'd rather call it being vain instead of narcissistic. It's subtle.
    I wonder if NPD is just narcissism with underlying problems. I still think narcissism by itself isn't neccesarily a negative thing.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I wonder if NPD is just narcissism with underlying problems. I still think narcissism by itself isn't neccesarily a negative thing.
    NPD is the extreme form of narcissism. Most people with NPD more than likely do not know they are being overly obnoxious because it is so engrained into their personalities.

Narcissism isn't negative. In fact, a healthy level is good for self-esteem.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think they may have a vague idea of their own sense of entitlement or imagined superiority, and also clues about how they don't seem to care about a lot of people. BUT to define themselves with NPD, I don't know.

Because most of them don't want to bear the brunt of their own self congratulations and lack of empathy. Like a sort of emotional bully, they seem to take for granted that they should be allowed to say horrible things, just really vapid self absorbed things, for example say things right to people or in front of them attempting to put them down overtly or subtly for their appearance, popularity, or achievement (things narcissistic people tend to define themselves by) but react very badly to the slightest suggestion that they themselves may be *gasp* AVERAGE...they will often even take neutral words like being average as an insult. They must always be enabled and reassured of their own extraordinary specialness.

Their perception of other things can be deluded and bizarre aside from their grandiose external validation schema, having histrionic or borderline features (also cluster B personality disorders).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

A narcissist hearing they are one is like kryptonite is to Superman. They will do anything to shut you down if they hear themselves being called on it.

I told a girl she was one one time and she started to make threats and accusations..just smoke really.

They're the hyenas of people. And the jackass. So like a double-headed asshole. If you come into contact with one (by mistake of course) be sure and wash your hands.

Thing is, most people have tendencies but some will take theirs past a point and take others for pawns in their diabolical schemes.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    INTP

Yes.

How can they not?

I personally others are as they are, and avoid those one disapproves/doesn't like.

Socionics
    ILI

Narcissism is actually healthy for you, self-esteem wise.

NPD on the other hand, is extreme Narcissism in the sense that instead of someone loving themselves for who they are, they begin to love a fantasy self that isn't real and they suppress any signs of weakness or their true self. It's literally just making a personality out of the good parts of your personality and throwing away and hiding the dark parts and self-doubt.

Narcissism is the love of yourself
    NPD is the love of your ideal self.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I think you are what you are. If you happen to be sensitive, don't dish out what you don't want to take.

It, to me, has to do with your valuation of others in comparison to yourself and an expectation of reciprocity. I would think a narcissist would have a skewed perception of their own value and the value of their contributions.
    Awesome post, cafe.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I feel like they are aware but in denial.

Many people naturally run away from what they are, thinking they can change or convince everyone otherwise, when they actually can't.