User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Thread: Lucid dreaming

an additional idea is that dreams are states of consciousness, like houses that have their own rules. control could be the ability to enter each of those houses (states), but while you are there, the mind works according to the rules, produces the dream according to the rules, so you can be in a house where you can fly and invent and project whatever you want but you are on your own, or you can be in a house were you cant do these things, but there is more space for subconsciousness to manifest as characters to teach you, so the houses have their advantages and you dont want to say that one house is better than the other (like levels). however true lucidity and control should enable you to visit these houses without forgetting/loosing yourself/your awareness in them. and it should give you the power to awaken quickly, since real life is just another house (state) in the brain.

also it seems the houses are related, serially, so to go into one house, you have to be in another house first....

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    this is from my notebook and it's partially wrong and still quite incomplete but all i can do today (i am awake since like 30 hours, dunno)...

true lucidity needs an abstract definition. it's the beginner's mind that is aware of meaning and purpose of the current moment and cares enough to make good use of it. you are lucid, when you try something new, as opposed to acting out 'karma' (habits). this definition works for waking life as well. we are rarely lucid in waking life. lucidity is not knowledge, but it's indeed related to flexible access to memory about the big picture of past (context). this flexibility is achieved by trancendence of all objects that constitute the current moment (dream or waking live). the opposite is being lost in the moment, by means of identification. so, since lucidity is transcendence, and transcendence needs to be supported by a hard structure, permanent lucidity is a symptom of a stage of development (a stage is layer of structure that supports/carries the flexibility to acces those perspectives, which signify the particular layer. each stage/layer holds more perspectives).
    That's me, acting out habits, everyday routines, or tasks. According to your definition, I would not then be lucid in my dream state, even though I am aware that the motions I'm going through are in my dream. Gotcha.

Your theory transcends (heh) lucidity from the dream world to reality as well. But, I'm interested in lucidity in dreams, in particular. But, you're saying that if we cannot reach transcendance in all aspects of life, lucidity (even in dreams) is out of our reach? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    an additional idea is that dreams are states of consciousness, like houses that have their own rules. control could be the ability to enter each of those houses (states), but while you are there, the mind works according to the rules, produces the dream according to the rules, so you can be in a house where you can fly and invent and project whatever you want but you are on your own, or you can be in a house were you cant do these things, but there is more space for subconsciousness to manifest as characters to teach you, so the houses have their advantages and you dont want to say that one house is better than the other (like levels). however true lucidity and control should enable you to visit these houses without forgetting/loosing yourself/your awareness in them. and it should give you the power to awaken quickly, since real life is just another house (state) in the brain.

also it seems the houses are related, serially, so to go into one house, you have to be in another house first....
    In dreams, I'm in the house with rules that I cannot change. I wanna be able to move to the PARTAY house! Not my grandma's house. Any ideas/thoughts?

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Got it. Gaps which help describe lucid dreaming are not found in general references. It depends on ones level of intimacy with their personal lucid dreams. Those personal levels take the basic definition of lucid dream to what would appear to be a different definition because it has its own personal angle to it. But somewhere in that whole mess there is still the clinical definition of lucid dream. If general definitions found in references were as vast as the ones described here, noone would look at a reference sight because they would have to read the equivalent of 100 pages in an mbti thread. imo-some confusion as to definition of lucid dreams could be because everyones different level/angle of them is so dang lucid to that individual. Which leads me to conclude that each individuals level of lucidity is so subtle yet massive in its subtleness due to the angle they take in their recall of how lucid their dream is. imo. hell idk.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Oops nanook wrote it alot better. Please bear in mind-i am a one finger typer. Thanks nanook. well writen.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

I wanna be able to move to the PARTAY house!
    yeah, you need to find the right doors, then you can find a new houses.
    one way is to dive into the ground, or to let yourself fall down somewhere (instead of controlled flying), .... well i am scatter brained now. my fist lucid dreams were so called out of body experiences, and then watered down imitations of the original out of body experiences, with flying and a sort of invisible body that can go through walls or fall into the ground .. its basically just believe systems, that are used like symbols, to control the state of the mind, so there are many possibilities (it's very individual, no hard rules, what works for me changes all the time ... but basic ideas like diving into the underworld or up into heaven to the higher self or using an elevator in a skyscraper ... these are quite powerfull)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post

In dreams, I'm in the house with rules that I cannot change. I wanna be able to move to the PARTAY house! Not my grandma's house. Any ideas/thoughts?
    Yes. Find a bottle of booze in your house of rules and get loaded. You may find yourself wandering/stumbling over to the other house.

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    Yes. Find a bottle of booze in your house of rules and get loaded. You may find yourself wandering/stumbling over to the other house.
    Good luck finding booze in that house.
    My other option is to OD on toothpaste, I guess.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Good luck finding booze in that house.
    My other option is to OD on toothpaste, I guess.
    Have you already tried to look for it? You could trick yourself into thinking you squeezed all the toothpaste into a brew

I sometimes found myself doing the right and bright things (like finding a doorway, hacking a hole into the matrix), like three seconds before i became lucid, when the subconsciousness still had all the power over the dream. then i was like "Yay, I figured it out!" and that made me lucid in the first place. from there i went on consciously, to enter the new house for the first time ...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

I think i know what's going on here. nanook pointed out habits/karma. Maybe you carry over your conscious habits/inhibition over to subconscious. You say you have good control over yourself in your dreams but yet can't get out of the house. Maybe you have to strong of an Si. i'm just speculating here but maybe loosing just a tidbit of inhibition in consciousness may carry over into subconscious lucidity. Just speculation. Potential problem with this is it may lead you to loose your ability to control yourself in subconscious and that will carry over to your conscious walk about in ways that you didn't predict. But one will never know till they try