User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Thread: Lucid dreaming

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I know somebody who can wake up from any dream at will because, in his dream, he goes to a wall and turns on the lights.

I've had a total of one lucid dream, so after a while I closed my eyes. Seems odd, but the purpose of a dream is to see what's being shown to you, so I figured that if I couldn't see anything, I would have no reason for being there. Not sure if it'd work twice, but it's not like it could hurt anything.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    As to lucidity, it's more rare, but there are times when I know I am dreaming while in the dream state, and it seems that I behave in ways that I cannot/will not while awake. Interesting, to say the least.
    Yeah, been there, done that. I've learned to control those sorts of things, though.

MBTI
    INXP

I'm the opposite of the OP. I get so excited that I'm lucid that I will myself to stay asleep; and thus, it rarely works.

I've only had a few substantial lucid dreams in my lifetime.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Why do you want to wake up?
    Because at the moment I can't and I would like to know that I can. If, while dreaming, I can alter the course of the dream, I should also be able to will myself to wake from it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    This is somewhat true actually, because I perceive it as reality while dreaming, and if I wake up, I will have that memory.
    I too perceive it as reality while dreaming, but I'm also aware that I'm dreaming and it's not reality.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    Because at the moment I can't and I would like to know that I can.
    Understood. Why do you want to know that you can?

If, while dreaming, I can alter the course of the dream, I should also be able to will myself to wake from it.
    Seems like that would be true doesn't it?

No. I don't think there's any real reason to believe we can deliberately wake ourselves. I don't see how being able to alter a course of thoughts equates to being able to end it entirely, and cause enough mental ruckus to stop the entire process.
    we fukin won boys

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Understood. Why do you want to know that you can?
    My dreams - lucid dreams - are like games that involve strategy. I'm not the only one dreaming either. There are others who are much more skilled than I am. So we are all dreaming together and each of us is able to manipulate the "reality" of the dreamscape. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the challenges I am asked to face and just want to know that when that happens I can remove myself (wake up) from the dream game, even for a little while.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    Seems odd, but the purpose of a dream is to see what's being shown to you, so I figured that if I couldn't see anything, I would have no reason for being there. Not sure if it'd work twice, but it's not like it could hurt anything.
    No, it doesn't seem odd. The purpose probably is to see what's being shown to you, and I do see many of the inherent possibilities, but I would like to know I have some choice about whether or not I want to continue dreaming and if not, know that I can awaken from the course that the dream is taking. As I mentioned in another post, there are others dreaming with me, more skilled than I at manipulating the events of the dream. Sometimes it seems like I'm unable to alter the course of the dreamscape because they are more adept at doing so than I.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

When I'm lucid dreaming I always look at my hands (in the dream) to make sure that I'm lucid dreaming. (This is something someone else recommended on a lucid dreaming forum 5+ years ago when I got interested in this.) Whenever I lucid dream, I always signal the same cue (look at hands). You could probably start the same sort of signal for yourself to tell yourself to wake up.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

Oberon

I have had dreams in which I suspected that I was dreaming, but everything in the dream was so incredibly vivid and concrete that I could not be certain. Later I'd wake up, remember it, and say "Ah HAH! So I WAS dreaming! I KNEW it!"

I mean, assuming that I'm not actually dreaming this now.

I'm such a geek...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnivera View Post
    When I'm lucid dreaming I always look at my hands (in the dream) to make sure that I'm lucid dreaming. (This is something someone else recommended on a lucid dreaming forum 5+ years ago when I got interested in this.) Whenever I lucid dream, I always signal the same cue (look at hands). You could probably start the same sort of signal for yourself to tell yourself to wake up.
    And did you learn that from Don Juan?

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I have had dreams in which I suspected that I was dreaming, but everything in the dream was so incredibly vivid and concrete that I could not be certain.
    Yes, they do seem very real. But there are things you can look for to discern whether or not you're dreaming.