User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

Thread: Lucid dreaming

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt.Is.God View Post
    I find myself doing this, too. I'll wake up during the night because of a disturbing dream. It's like I always know in the back of my mind that I'm lucid dreaming, and I'll be prepared to do things like wake myself up or fly if something scary happens. I wonder why it works like this.
    It's interesting, for myself I haven't had an actual 'nightmare' since I was a kid... and even as a kid, I can only think of one or two true nightmares. These days, dreams that I think 'normal' people would consider a nightmare/scary, I don't... I sometimes think it's because I'm aware it's a dream. So I'm honestly curious to see what will happen. I was even killed in one of my dreams a year or so ago, which was unusual/new, but I wasn't scared/didn't think it was a nightmare, because I knew it was a dream and again, I was curious... it was like..hmm, I've never died in a dream before, this is weird... what will happen? [and I presumably died, but I awoke shortly thereafter, or viewed my death from above (can't remember anymore)...sometimes I'm viewing things as if I'm behind a camera] In another dream it was implied something rather violent was going to occur to me, but I didn't actually experience it /didn't consider it a nightmare... again, I knew it was a dream, so wasn't as impacted by it I guess?

[Note: these more negative themes are few and far between in my dreams..not a common occurrence]
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    It's interesting, for myself I haven't had an actual 'nightmare' since I was a kid... and even as a kid, I can only think of one or two true nightmares. These days, dreams that I think 'normal' people would consider a nightmare/scary, I don't... I sometimes think it's because I'm aware it's a dream. So I'm honestly curious to see what will happen. I was even killed in one of my dreams a year or so ago, which was unusual/new, but I wasn't scared/didn't think it was a nightmare, because I knew it was a dream and again, I was curious... it was like..hmm, I've never died in a dream before, this is weird... what will happen? [and I presumably died, but I awoke shortly thereafter, or viewed my death from above (can't remember anymore)...sometimes I'm viewing things as if I'm behind a camera] In another dream it was implied something rather violent was going to occur to me, but I didn't actually experience it /didn't consider it a nightmare... again, I knew it was a dream, so wasn't as impacted by it I guess?

[Note: these more negative themes are few and far between in my dreams..not a common occurrence]
    (in response to the bolded): Actually, I have quite a few friends who claim that they see their dreams in 3rd person. I wonder if there's anything significant behind that.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4W5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    (in response to the bolded): Actually, I have quite a few friends who claim that they see their dreams in 3rd person. I wonder if there's anything significant behind that.
    I've had a few dreams like that. Mostly I'm just really dissociated in my dreams. Dissociative drugs also induce out-of-body experiences. I wonder if they're related--if that feeling of surreality causes some people to just see the dream from third person.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    ...which correlates to MBTI. J = left brain; P = right brain
    No, its more complicated than that.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    different people have different theories on this, some thing
    1) J = Left Brained; P = Right Brained
    2) T = Left Brained; F = Right Brained
    3) S = Left Brained; N = Right Brained

either way, as NFPs, we're right brained as hell
    ENFPs are using one area on left side more than other types(mirroring others), Fi is on the right side, Te and Si on left. Intuition(i and e) uses all cerebral cortex regions and seems to be controlled by other regions, however its not this simple and Ni types are concentrating more on different regions than Ne types, but this is really just so complex and not fully understood yet
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt.Is.God View Post
    I can't do very much in my dreams. To get anything, I have to picture them in drawers, and to get anywhere I have to use elevators, and to get anyone I have to call them on a phone. If I want anything badly enough I usually can't have it because my fear of not getting it results in various dream-forces stopping me from getting it. I'm wondering if views on the "controllability" of the dream world have to do with type. I'm also guessing it has to do with loci of control (possibly somewhat related to type). Also optimism/pessimism--the latter definitely is a large factor in my dreams.
    I looked into the optimism/pessimism.
    There doesn't seem to be much difference, it's just that we're more aware of experiencing negative rather than positive feelings (same as real life I guess...). The standard idea is that negative feelings are there for protective purposes, it's just that it becomes counter productive after a certain point.

Loci of control sounds interesting though. I can definitely see that being true. As to your specific situation, I think that's just a personal barrier than something type specific.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4W5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I looked into the optimism/pessimism.
    There doesn't seem to be much difference, it's just that we're more aware of experiencing negative rather than positive feelings (same as real life I guess...). The standard idea is that negative feelings are there for protective purposes, it's just that it becomes counter productive after a certain point.

Loci of control sounds interesting though. I can definitely see that being true. As to your specific situation, I think that's just a personal barrier than something type specific.
    The thing is, it's all interpretation, even loci of control. But if we're more aware of negative events, we tend to interpret negative events in our lives as being more likely. And if we have an external locus of control, we tend to think of these negative events as the result of our being in a crappy situation. And I think this would translate into our dreamworld as situations going against how you intended them to go.

Maybe NPs are overrepresented here, but I wonder if Ne types with their lack of Si tend to see the world as a place that is very hard to manipulate practicality wise. Wow, I phrased that terribly. I know for a fact that I see the world as this kind of place.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

i have very vivid dreams, i dream a lot, the details are not super important but there are always a lot of adventures, the plot is super intricate and well constructed. it's weird, honestly. and the weirdest thing is that often there are quotes from famous people that i didn't know (or didn't know i know) or new pieces of information that i don't understand how my brain can fabricate (since i'm not supposed to know). oh, and i0m an enfp.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sometimes I can dream music and I wake up having the song in my head for the rest of the day.

However I haven't had a lucid dream in a while. I just get too excited as soon as I realise it's a dream...

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I used to have fantastic lucid dreams when I was younger, but unfortunately as I got older this became less and less common until they stopped altogether. Now I just get those 'gone in a blink of an eye and remembered in bits' dreams.

Shame, as I used to go to a lovely place in my lucid one which was also recurring for me.